diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide

So I stuffed the other board, trimmed the leads and got the same result. I’ll build a soft start and see if that does the trick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 150
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Check that the secondary winding wires are correct. Set a multimeter to resistance and measure the resistance of each secondary pair. Since both secondaries have blue-green wires, the wires can get mixed up. A correct secondary wire pair would measure near zero resistance.

Reactions: 1 users
What Ben Mah said. And…

I think on the 1st post, 6L6 had recommended the use of insulators (Keratherm or equivalent) between the rectifiers and heatsinks. Without the thermal insulators, the heatsinks can be live.

Others have already mentioned the use of proper spacer height to ensure the bottom of the pcb doesn’t touch the baseplate.

You should shut the unit off, completely unplug from mains AC, let the caps discharge, and then check with a multimeter for any and all shorts. There is a short somewhere.

Best,
Anand.

Hi all,

I've completed* my F5T build using the Universal PSU's and have a head scratcher. I'm getting a hum/buzz from one of the toroids, which I think I've isolated to it's respective PSU PCB. The solution's I've tried (without success) to this point include:
  • Swapping the Transformer
  • Inserting a DC Blocker Between Mains and Amp
  • Re-soldering Ground Links and Capacitors
The toroid only hums when both secondaries are connected to PCB. If one pair of secondaries is connected to one side and the other secondary pair is not connected...no buzz. Additionally, I hear buzz regardless of the F5T boards being connected, and no hum/buzz is heard from the speakers when the amp PCBs are connected...only buzz heard is from the transformer.

My assumption is that it's a grounding issue, but I'm open to suggestions. Below are some pics of the PCB for reference.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 22-04-07 14-37-17 1038.jpg
    22-04-07 14-37-17 1038.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 22-04-07 14-38-04 1039.jpg
    22-04-07 14-38-04 1039.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 100
Asking for clarification.

The transformer itself buzzes?

If so, would mean loose winding or pulling too much current thru the transformer.

What VA is it rated for?

When you say you swap transformers, does the buzz follow the transformer or does it stick with the transformer hooked up to the particular PSU board?

Last edited:
Asking for clarification.

The transformer itself buzzes?

If so, would mean loose winding or pulling too much current thru the transformer.

What VA is it rated for?
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah the transformer itself is buzzing...but only when connected to the PSU PCB. It's the antek AN-6224. 600VA 24v secondary's. I have 8x 50V capacitors in the PCB.

I tried swapping a transformer from my other identical (non-buzzing) system...same result. So I don't think the transformer is defective.

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah the transformer itself is buzzing...but only when connected to the PSU PCB. It's the antek AN-6224. 600VA 24v secondary's. I have 8x 50V capacitors in the PCB.

I tried swapping a transformer from my other identical (non-buzzing) system...same result. So I don't think the transformer is defective.
Would a faulty diode (TO-220) cause a hum? Just thinking out loud as I've already tried re-connecting the ground links and capacitors without luck.

If'n I'm tracking, you disconnected the diode board from the filter board and still get the buzz?

Are the diodes isolated from the sinks?

If not, is there something causing a ground connection to a sink?

No blown fuses and PCB is intact (i.e. I didn't break off the diode board). I tried to re-solder the ground links and capacitors to see if there was a poor connection but that didn't fix it.

My other thought was that there was an issue with the TO-220 diodes, but I didn't want to go down a rabbit hole if faulty diodes wouldn't contribute to hum/buzz.

I haven't tried lifting the ground. Wouldn't that cause a short?

1. Did you check the secondary leads are paired up correctly?

2. Does the buzzing change on which set of diodes the secondary leads hook up to?

3. Does the buzzing occur when only the diode section is hooked up? (no caps/resistors in the path?)

Probably asking too specific questions as opposed to giving good troubleshooting advice. Idea is to back down to the simplest circuit and slowly add until the buzz starts.

Lifting the ground won't cause a short, the exact opposite. Will allow the circuit to come to a steady state, reducing current draw. Just remember that if the caps are in the circuit they will charge up and will need to be discharged before handling.

Yes. But (always the caveat) realize that the voltage will have nowhere to go and handle accordingly.

In troubleshooting, I'd back down to the simplest configuration and slowly add until the buzz comes back:

1. transformer only
2. transformer + full wave bridge
3. transformer + fwb + filter
4. transformer + fwb + filter + ground
5. transformer + fwb + filter + grnd + signal boards

Ground doesn't need to be hooked up for this. Just remember that with the filter section in the circuit and no ground, the caps will get charged up and will need to be discharged before handling.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. But (always the caveat) realize that the voltage will have nowhere to go and handle accordingly.

In troubleshooting, I'd back down to the simplest configuration and slowly add until the buzz comes back:

1. transformer only

Ground doesn't need to be hooked up for this. Just remember that with the filter section in the circuit and no ground, the caps will get charged up and will need to be discharged before handling.
Well I've got some work to do. Appreciate the suggestions. I'll post the findings.

Reactions: 1 user

1. transformer only

1. Pass
2. Pass

desoldering the capacitors, resistors and LEDs took some time, but I was able to get everything out and cleaned to do steps 1 & 2. I hear buzz, but it’s only audible if my ear is a few inches away (which I assume is inherent for toroids). For context, I could hear the buzz before standing 10 feet away.

On to step 3…

Attachments

• 762520C2-5410-4E81-B9A8-21FF9D62BB9E.jpeg
    762520C2-5410-4E81-B9A8-21FF9D62BB9E.jpeg
    678.2 KB · Views: 101
  • C8A1C7BC-2257-4AC0-BCFF-D9C7BDD9617F.jpeg
    C8A1C7BC-2257-4AC0-BCFF-D9C7BDD9617F.jpeg
    672.4 KB · Views: 101
  • E5E97AB4-9017-45D5-A294-A09BE9BEB088.jpeg
    E5E97AB4-9017-45D5-A294-A09BE9BEB088.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 101