The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´m building two salas LV regs for my diy riaa and aim for 35Vout from the regs. I am using the boards from the Qhuango group by, and what I think is version 1 or so of the boards. In the position q4 on the board there should be a bc550 transistor, but I have the bc546 availible. As far as I understand from searching the forum they are quite similar. I read from the datasheet there are some differences like the 550 have higher Hfe (depending on samples and all that) and the 546 higher Vmax. Is it ok to use the bc546 in position "q4"?

The riaa is one a friend designed, I can post schematics if it is ok to do so here.

ok i tested all my regulators and most of them work fine except two.

one is negative 5-35v is stuck at 4.13volt and doesn`t change no matter where i adjust

the trimmer.

L1,2,3, light up fine and L4 light up but with half brightness than the rest.

the other is positive +5-35v and works fine i can adjust output but L1,2,3, don`t light

up. only L4 light up plus the voltage across R1 is too high and it gets higher as i lower

the v out.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I can't follow third party board troubleshooting terms well bcs I have no experience in it, but in circuit terms check that your LEDS are facing correctly, that there is no burned Jfet that governs the LEDS, that there is enough current in the negative reg because it uses 3 times lower setting resistor than those with the 3 LEDS, and that the sense connections are meeting with the main out.

I can't follow third party board troubleshooting terms well bcs I have no experience in it, but in circuit terms check that your LEDS are facing correctly, that there is no burned Jfet that governs the LEDS, that there is enough current in the negative reg because it uses 3 times lower setting resistor than those with the 3 LEDS, and that the sense connections are meeting with the main out.

my guess is some jfets have burn.

those pcbs was hard to solder.

i guess i will have to wait until i receive more jfets.

thanks anyway.

hi all,
I realized a +5V version 1.2r to feed my Buffalo II with Trident regs . The ccs sink 600 mA
and the shunt 150 mA. I use 5k trim and K170 for 5457. I need only 8V of raw supply to get the wanted output voltage and not the 12V or 15V like someone says. Really I use 10V, but this avoid a lot of heat in the ccs device! The trim works perfectly to 4.1V up to over 7V. Thank you Salas for a very smart project!

Orazio

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi. The border margins you saw are Vgs related limits. Its good you allowed for some 2V more for mains margin and ripple. Some with more varying mains would be safer at 12V input. JFET or BJT cascode CCT? R10 value? What you had in ithis reg's place before and did you feel any difference? Pictures are welcome.

The ccs sink 600 mA
and the shunt 150 mA. I use 5k trim and K170 for 5457. I need only 8V of raw supply to get the wanted output voltage and not the 12V or 15V
check output voltage vs input voltage.
You will find that a very low voltage overhead is required to maintain output voltage.

Now check the CCS current and repeat the experiment. Check ICCS vs input voltage.

You will find you have NOT got a 600mA CCS.

Measure and check before you spout off ridiculous claims.

No wonder Beginners get misled when postings like that are allowed to remain, even when a Moderator has viewed the thread.
My truthfullness is not the problem.
His post is the problem.
Take steps to remove what is blatantly wrong, either the whole post or the part that is completely misleading.
Action not comment on a side issue !

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
It's the way you said not that you said, if you moderate your tone problably more people enjoy & learn more of your knowledge.

+1

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that moderators don't delete or edit anyone's posts due to technical mistakes. Posts only get deleted because they don't belong in the discussion at hand (e.g. off-topic, personal remarks, offending comments). The forum rules are pretty clear on that. Let's be nice and learn from each other's experiences here.

How do you all think about to compare the Sallas regulator with all this types?

· Superpower compared to a Battery
· Superpower compared to a Jung style super regulator
· Superpower compared to LM317
· Superpower compared to LM7812
· Superpower compared to Dexa NewClassD
· Superpower compared to Burson
· Superpower compared to the Sallas regulator

You see between the trees the forest no more, there are too much choice and every company have a nice marketing strategy.

This is an enormous thread with around 4,000 posts please where are the final definitive schematic of the Salas regulator and post it here or in the other tread please.

You can find this tread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/185763-belleson-superpower-ultimate-voltage-regulator.html#post2520457

Regards,
Rudy

Joined 2009
Paid Member
How do you all think about to compare the Sallas regulator with all this types?

· Superpower compared to a Battery
· Superpower compared to a Jung style super regulator
· Superpower compared to LM317
· Superpower compared to LM7812
· Superpower compared to Dexa NewClassD
· Superpower compared to Burson
· Superpower compared to the Sallas regulator

You see between the trees the forest no more, there are too much choice and every company have a nice marketing strategy.

This is an enormous thread with around 4,000 posts please where are the final definitive schematic of the Salas regulator and post it here or in the other tread please.

You can find this tread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/185763-belleson-superpower-ultimate-voltage-regulator.html#post2520457

Regards,
Rudy

196080d1289510800-simplistic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator-1v2rnegmedium.gif

201293d1292566122-simplistic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator-1v2rposmedium.gif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.