Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Quad 2805/2905 dismantling: in pictures (part 2)
Quad 2805/2905 dismantling: in pictures (part 2)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2019, 11:29 AM   #1
clog is online now clog  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Quad 2805/2905 dismantling: in pictures (part 2)

In part 1 I exceeded the maximum number of pictures so here is part 2.

IMG_2104.JPG
Undo 8 flat-head screws from the top metal plate and remove it together with the plastic hood underneath it.
IMG_2031.JPG
Each of the 4 (2805) or 6 (2812) panels are connected with wire links and fastened with 4 self-tap screws to metal side bars.
To remove a panel desolder the wire links at the front and rear of the speaker. The HT line is on one side only. Then unscrew the 4 self-tap screws.
Very informative is the old website of One Thing Audio New Page 1
IMG_2080.JPG
The two parts of the panel are kept together with 3 spring clips at each side and three bolts/nuts at the center of the panel. Watch the location of the spring clips.

I think that for most people these pictures and the accompanying text will suffice. The reason I took my ESL apart was that one of my diaphragms has a very very small tear or puncture. Therefore I ordered a Quad repair kit from Eraudio in Australia.
Old 12th June 2019, 12:33 PM   #2
stokessd is offline stokessd  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting that to the world. It is a very nice service for everyone else.

One slight difference in my method: I do not take the inner top off (first picture above); the panels can be brought out straight through the front of the speakers with that top on.

Sheldon
Old 12th June 2019, 12:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sheldon, your way is probably better because when I removed all 4 panels the metal side bars to which the panels are fastened came tumbling down.
Old 12th June 2019, 03:51 PM   #4
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

While your in there
Change out the aluminum bracket that the panels screw to, it flexes a considerable amount
You should be able to source a much thicker one easily.

When soldering/unsoldering the panel wires, slice a piece of paper and place it around the tab so no blobs find their way to the membrane. Found a couple from the factory.

Those perimeter panel clips should have been much more abundant than what Quad supplied - for shame..
An alternative source for those items would help so you can triple the amount.

Also the soft foam between the panels should be replaced with a denser double sided tape and all panels clamped together before screwing to the new bracket

Regards
David
Old 12th June 2019, 05:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When soldering/unsoldering the panel wires, slice a piece of paper and place it around the tab so no blobs find their way to the membrane. Found a couple from the factory
Thatís a very good one, Avwerk. I used some aluminum foil to protect the stator and membrane.

Quad 2805/2905 dismantling: in pictures (part 2)Hide this!Advertise here!