Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Simple DLNA Renderer for Odroid C1+...or not?
Simple DLNA Renderer for Odroid C1+...or not?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2020, 07:11 PM   #41
masterkw is offline masterkw  Germany
diyAudio Member

I know but I was in a hurry. Next time I do so.
Old 19th September 2020, 12:25 AM   #42
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkw View Post
...call me "Mr.-Clean-Install".
Archlinux (C1+-ready image available), I'll try the same procedure with this.
Yes, try a different Linux distro with a different kernel.
At first, don't spend any time installing MPD or configuring NAS, just play an audio file to know if you get successful hardware compatibility.

On the Hardkernel website it appears that Ubuntu is the "official" distro. You could try the most recent version available -
http://de.eu.odroid.in/ubuntu_16.04l...0170908.img.xz
or maybe the oldest version available -
http://de.eu.odroid.in/ubuntu_14.04l...0151020.img.xz
Old 20th September 2020, 03:33 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
runeaudio on Odroid C1+
A solution is to activate UPNP/DLNA in runeaudio.
[NAS] ---RJ45 (DLNA)---> [runeaudio] ---USB A-B---> [amp]
Ah, I overlooked that you had RuneAudio running successfully on the C1. RuneAudio is based on MPD, and it appears you were using the UPnP/DLNA client feature of MPD ...
but it should be possible to ignore the DLNA feature, and re-configure Rune as a conventional MPD server. I think (?) the web browser-based Rune interface would be the same ...

... and for an alternative interface, you could also try the MPD client which you already installed on your phone - MaximumMPD.
Old 20th September 2020, 04:43 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I've exchanged the MPD problems for a bike ride on a sunny day.

Last night I fiddled around a little bit and came to same conclusion: RuneAudio --> MPD...quite fine! And so I found out that MaximumMPD works fine as well.

Quote:
[NAS] ---RJ45 (DLNA)---> [runeaudio] ---USB A-B---> [amp]
Oh, my fault! The right way is:

[NAS] --- RJ45 (SMB/CIFS)--->[RuneAudio "itself", no DLNA] ---USB A-B--->[Amp]

So I think, I'm there where I want to be!

PS: I overran myself by installing Arch Linux...
PPS: At this point, I say thank you! ...and I've learned a little Linux next to it.

Last edited by masterkw; 20th September 2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 21st September 2020, 12:42 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[NAS] --- RJ45 (SMB/CIFS)--->[RuneAudio "itself", no DLNA] ---USB A-B--->[Amp]
Yes, that's correct. MPD (by default) is a "pull" model, in contrast to most other streaming methods which are "push".
But the real benefit to you is that MPD has true gapless playback, and also it seems to be a very robust technology - no glitches, no lost connections, etc.
MPD client apps, unfortunately, are not so highly regarded, and there's no guarantee you will like them.

If you are unhappy with MaximumMPD, there's another option - you can go back to using a DLNA server on the Synology, and use MPD + upmpdcli as DLNA renderer. This sounds messy, but apparently it overcomes the gapless playback problem. You can read about it here -
An UPnP Audio Media Renderer based on MPD
Apparently RuneAudio already contains upmpdcli, but I don't know how to activate it from the Rune interface.
Another potential benefit of using MPD + upmpdcli is that you can then use UPnP/DLNA client apps, and some of these are well regarded - Lumin and BubbleUPnP, for example.

Quote:
I've learned a little Linux
Great!
Old 21st September 2020, 07:34 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

With my RuneAudio-config shown above gapless works very well with flac/DSD. My basic thoughts have been that an additional audio softeware „worsen“ sound quality far from the original situation although it‘s exclusively digital: straight from NAS to Amp (not based on the lenght of the cable ).

After this little intermezzo, I‘ve realized the opposite.

Quote:
MPD + upmpdcli is that you can then use UPnP/DLNA client apps
In that case I can fall back to Synology‘s DS Audio.

Code:
upmpdcli, but I don't know how to activate it from the Rune interface
There‘s only an option to activate with mp3 problems.

Code:
This sounds messy
Messy is nothing for me, I prefer auodiophile. It is bad enough that today’s hearing of youth is so indistinct to that field. For my nieces, the main thing is loud and a lot of bass.

One last thing left using MaximumMPD: cover art. Each album has a seperate folder with a file named „cover.jpg“. I filled in the web gui‘s form (see attachment), it seemed queue was being processed (took a long time, repeated every start), but afterwards I couldn‘t see any covers.

Is there anything similar that I can work on by myself to find a solution? I „tortured“ the internet a little but didn‘t found anything useful.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by masterkw; 21st September 2020 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Wrong pic
Old 21st September 2020, 09:55 AM   #47
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi I just obtained 2 used Cubox-i quad core 2GB/4GB devices (25 Euro for both) and these are a treat when used with Volumio. No Linux knowledge needed (thank God), very good sound and they use 3W at most and they are very small with their 50 x 50 x 50 mm. No heat, no hiccups, no issues. Volumio has one of the better GUI out there too. No comparison with RPI at least in my humble opinion as it is way smaller, has better features, becomes way less hot and it looks OK.

No internal DAC but optical so Toslink output. USB output also works perfect with a Denon PMA-60. It plays music from USB stick and/or NAS be it wirelessly or via ethernet. All this with no issues at all.

It was just an experiment but I guess if I had known that I could have obtained this audio quality for such a price than I might not have bought my other streamers

Last edited by jean-paul; 21st September 2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 21st September 2020, 10:43 AM   #48
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

You got a very good deal because Cubox-i new sells for 120USD per piece.
Old 21st September 2020, 11:04 AM   #49
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I know One of the PSU's was missing but I have an OCD like obsession with building ultra low noise linear PSU's so that one is being built.

Excellent devices for audio. It is not shabby for video either but lacks the hardware decoding of H265 material so it is outdated for 2020 use with video.

Volumio is stil maintained for Cubox-i but it is somewhat hidden:

Volumio 2 for Cuboxi - Cubox-i - Volumio

Did I mention that no Linux typing is involved nor that it is necessary to spend hours on the famous "configging" ?

Last edited by jean-paul; 21st September 2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 21st September 2020, 11:19 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Even if it drifts a little away from the topic...

The main intention purchasing the Audiolab m-one amplifier was the focus on digital sources as I no longer have any analog equipment. And the integrated DAC with the two-channel ESS9018K2M chip was the right decision for me as an "all-in-one package". I bought the Odroid for 18 euros (~21 USD) and already had the necessary accessories.

Only transferring "1s" and "0s" from NAS to DAC, I thinks it's okay.

Simple DLNA Renderer for Odroid C1+...or not?Hide this!Advertise here!