Simple DLNA Renderer for Odroid C1+...or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...call me "Mr.-Clean-Install".
Archlinux (C1+-ready image available), I'll try the same procedure with this.
Yes, try a different Linux distro with a different kernel.
At first, don't spend any time installing MPD or configuring NAS, just play an audio file to know if you get successful hardware compatibility.

On the Hardkernel website it appears that Ubuntu is the "official" distro. You could try the most recent version available -
http://de.eu.odroid.in/ubuntu_16.04lts/ubuntu-16.04.3-mate-odroid-c1-20170908.img.xz
or maybe the oldest version available -
http://de.eu.odroid.in/ubuntu_14.04lts/ubuntu-14.04.3lts-lubuntu-odroid-c1-20151020.img.xz

runeaudio on Odroid C1+
A solution is to activate UPNP/DLNA in runeaudio.
[NAS] ---RJ45 (DLNA)---> [runeaudio] ---USB A-B---> [amp]
Ah, I overlooked that you had RuneAudio running successfully on the C1. RuneAudio is based on MPD, and it appears you were using the UPnP/DLNA client feature of MPD ...
but it should be possible to ignore the DLNA feature, and re-configure Rune as a conventional MPD server. I think (?) the web browser-based Rune interface would be the same ...

... and for an alternative interface, you could also try the MPD client which you already installed on your phone - MaximumMPD.

Hi,

I've exchanged the MPD problems for a bike ride on a sunny day. ;)

Last night I fiddled around a little bit and came to same conclusion: RuneAudio --> MPD...quite fine! And so I found out that MaximumMPD works fine as well.

[NAS] ---RJ45 (DLNA)---> [runeaudio] ---USB A-B---> [amp]

Oh, my fault! The right way is:

[NAS] --- RJ45 (SMB/CIFS)--->[RuneAudio "itself", no DLNA] ---USB A-B--->[Amp]

So I think, I'm there where I want to be! :)

PS: I overran myself by installing Arch Linux...
PPS: At this point, I say thank you! ...and I've learned a little Linux next to it.

Last edited:
[NAS] --- RJ45 (SMB/CIFS)--->[RuneAudio "itself", no DLNA] ---USB A-B--->[Amp]
Yes, that's correct. MPD (by default) is a "pull" model, in contrast to most other streaming methods which are "push".
But the real benefit to you is that MPD has true gapless playback, and also it seems to be a very robust technology - no glitches, no lost connections, etc.
MPD client apps, unfortunately, are not so highly regarded, and there's no guarantee you will like them.

If you are unhappy with MaximumMPD, there's another option - you can go back to using a DLNA server on the Synology, and use MPD + upmpdcli as DLNA renderer. This sounds messy, but apparently it overcomes the gapless playback problem. You can read about it here -
An UPnP Audio Media Renderer based on MPD
Apparently RuneAudio already contains upmpdcli, but I don't know how to activate it from the Rune interface.
Another potential benefit of using MPD + upmpdcli is that you can then use UPnP/DLNA client apps, and some of these are well regarded - Lumin and BubbleUPnP, for example.

I've learned a little Linux
Great!

With my RuneAudio-config shown above gapless works very well with flac/DSD. My basic thoughts have been that an additional audio softeware „worsen“ sound quality far from the original situation although it‘s exclusively digital: straight from NAS to Amp (not based on the lenght of the cable :D).

After this little intermezzo, I‘ve realized the opposite. :)

MPD + upmpdcli is that you can then use UPnP/DLNA client apps

In that case I can fall back to Synology‘s DS Audio.

Code:
upmpdcli, but I don't know how to activate it from the Rune interface

There‘s only an option to activate with mp3 problems.

Code:
This sounds messy

Messy is nothing for me, I prefer auodiophile. It is bad enough that today’s hearing of youth is so indistinct to that field. For my nieces, the main thing is loud and a lot of bass. ;)

One last thing left using MaximumMPD: cover art. Each album has a seperate folder with a file named „cover.jpg“. I filled in the web gui‘s form (see attachment), it seemed queue was being processed (took a long time, repeated every start), but afterwards I couldn‘t see any covers.

Is there anything similar that I can work on by myself to find a solution? I „tortured“ the internet a little but didn‘t found anything useful.

725daadc-80b8-4de3-b2pj6d.jpeg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi I just obtained 2 used Cubox-i quad core 2GB/4GB devices (25 Euro for both) and these are a treat when used with Volumio. No Linux knowledge needed (thank God), very good sound and they use 3W at most and they are very small with their 50 x 50 x 50 mm. No heat, no hiccups, no issues. Volumio has one of the better GUI out there too. No comparison with RPI at least in my humble opinion as it is way smaller, has better features, becomes way less hot and it looks OK.

No internal DAC but optical so Toslink output. USB output also works perfect with a Denon PMA-60. It plays music from USB stick and/or NAS be it wirelessly or via ethernet. All this with no issues at all.

It was just an experiment but I guess if I had known that I could have obtained this audio quality for such a price than I might not have bought my other streamers :D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I know :) One of the PSU's was missing but I have an OCD like obsession with building ultra low noise linear PSU's so that one is being built.

Excellent devices for audio. It is not shabby for video either but lacks the hardware decoding of H265 material so it is outdated for 2020 use with video.

Volumio is stil maintained for Cubox-i but it is somewhat hidden:

Volumio 2 for Cuboxi - Cubox-i - Volumio

Did I mention that no Linux typing is involved nor that it is necessary to spend hours on the famous "configging" ? ;)

Last edited:
Even if it drifts a little away from the topic...

The main intention purchasing the Audiolab m-one amplifier was the focus on digital sources as I no longer have any analog equipment. And the integrated DAC with the two-channel ESS9018K2M chip was the right decision for me as an "all-in-one package". I bought the Odroid for 18 euros (~21 USD) and already had the necessary accessories.

Only transferring "1s" and "0s" from NAS to DAC, I thinks it's okay. ;)

One last thing left using MaximumMPD: cover art.
afterwards I couldn‘t see any covers.
"Normal" MPD setups work in combination with a separate web server app, so that the MPD client app can see cover art ...
but Rune has a unique GUI which works nothing like MPD clients, so Rune's web server configuration will be quite different to how a web server is configured for MPD clients.
I can help you with this configuration (it's quite easy) but first you need to find out what web server processes are running in Rune -
Code:
systemctl

We can deal with upmpdcli at a later stage.

systemctl

Code:
===============  RuneOS distribution  ===============                           
  ____                      _             _ _                                   
 |  _ \ _   _ _ __   ___   / \  _   _  __| (_) ___                              
 | |_) | | | | '_ \ / _ \ / _ \| | | |/ _` | |/ _ \                             
 |  _ <| |_| | | | |  __// ___ \ |_| | (_| | | (_) |                            
 |_| \_\\__,_|_| |_|\___/_/   \_\__,_|\__,_|_|\___/                             

================  [url=http://www.runeaudio.com]RuneAudio - Embedded Hi-Fi music player[/url]  ================                           
RuneOs: 0.3-alpha (build 20140709)                                              
RuneUI: 1.3-alpha                                                               
Hw-env: Odroid C1                                                               
ported by Frank Friedmann (aka hondagx35)                                       
Last login: Mon Sep 21 13:41:16 2020 from 192.168.178.8                         
[root@runeaudio ~]# systemctl                                                   
  UNIT                       LOAD   ACTIVE SUB       DESCRIPTION                
  proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount loaded active waiting   Arbitrary Executable
  sys-devices-lm1-usb1-1\x2d1-1\x2d1.3-1\x2d1.3:1.0-sound-card1.device loaded ac
  sys-devices-platform-aml_m8_sound_card.4-sound-card0.device loaded active plug
  sys-devices-platform-aml_sdhc.0-mmc_host-sd-sd:aaaa-block-mmcblk0-mmcblk0p1.de
  sys-devices-platform-aml_sdhc.0-mmc_host-sd-sd:aaaa-block-mmcblk0.device loade
  sys-devices-platform-meson\x2deth-net-eth0.device loaded active plugged   /sys
  sys-devices-platform-uart_1-tty-ttyS2.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devi
  sys-devices-platform-uart_ao-tty-ttyS0.device loaded active plugged   /sys/dev
  sys-devices-virtual-net-ip6tnl0.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/vi
  sys-devices-virtual-net-sit0.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virtu
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttya0.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttya1.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttya2.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttya3.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttya4.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttya5.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttya6.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttya7.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttya8.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttya9.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttyaa.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttyab.device loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virt
lines 1-23

Code:
top -14:11:34 up 1 day, 16:57,  1 user,  load average: 0.15, 0.18, 0.15        
Tasks: 105 total,   2 running, 103 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie            
%Cpu0  :   0.0/1.3     1[|                                                    ] 
%Cpu1  :   0.0/0.0     0[                                                     ] 
%Cpu2  :   0.0/0.0     0[                                                     ] 
%Cpu3  :   0.0/0.0     0[                                                     ] 
GiB Mem : 27.2/0.817    [                                                     ] 
GiB Swap:  0.0/0.000    [                                                     ] 

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ S COMMAND            
    1 root      20   0   24.3m   3.8m   0.0  0.4   0:14.88 S systemd            
  149 root      20   0   10.7m   1.5m   0.0  0.2   0:00.36 S  `- systemd-udevd  
  187 dbus      20   0    4.8m   1.5m   0.0  0.2   0:00.07 S  `- dbus-daemon    
  188 root      20   0    1.9m   0.1m   0.7  0.0   3:50.44 S  `- rngd           
  202 systemd+  20   0   11.4m   1.8m   0.0  0.2   0:01.17 S  `- systemd-netwo+ 
  207 systemd+  20   0    3.7m   1.5m   0.0  0.2   0:00.61 S  `- systemd-resol+ 
  208 root      20   0    1.7m   0.5m   0.0  0.1   0:06.46 S  `- ifplugd        
  209 root      20   0    2.0m   0.7m   0.0  0.1   0:00.01 S  `- agetty         
  210 root      20   0    2.0m   0.7m   0.0  0.1   0:00.03 S  `- agetty         
  275 root      20   0    2.1m   0.4m   0.0  0.0   0:00.33 S  `- dhcpcd         
  280 root      20   0    6.7m   2.2m   0.0  0.3   0:00.03 S  `- sshd           
  758 root      20   0   11.6m   3.2m   0.7  0.4   0:00.22 S      `- sshd       
  760 root      20   0    3.3m   1.6m   0.0  0.2   0:00.01 S          `- bash   
  761 root      20   0    5.5m   1.5m   1.3  0.2   0:00.15 R              `- t+

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The main intention purchasing the Audiolab m-one amplifier was the focus on digital sources as I no longer have any analog equipment. And the integrated DAC with the two-channel ESS9018K2M chip was the right decision for me as an "all-in-one package". I bought the Odroid for 18 euros (~21 USD) and already had the necessary accessories.

Only transferring "1s" and "0s" from NAS to DAC, I thinks it's okay. ;)

If you think like this it maybe is better not to convert to analog at all.

Like I said, the Cubox feeds an FDA (Full Digital Amplifier) without any analog path or digital to analog conversion in between. Truly a digital path till the loudspeakers :D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes but you miss the fact that your amplifier still has a DAC that converts digital to analog and that it has class AB amplification which is very analog :) So in fact you do have analog equipment....... It can be done with a shorter path with "1"s and "0"s if you would use an FDA. So a 2 box solution with music on a USB SSD. I am excluding the NAS (that can now be used as an archive in so-called "silent operation", let's call it powered off). Less power, less noise, less heat, less kludge.

I guess you are too busy with CLI typing ;)

Last edited:
jean paul said:
I guess you are too busy with CLI typing

My capacity to suffer is also limited. ;) If the cover art "problem" can be solved, I'm fine. Otherwise it works without it.

For never considering adding an extra computer to listen to music, I'm happy with this "tiny solution".

It's like barbecue: the thing is call "grill, not "cleaning". :D

Last edited:
Full Digital Amp versus DAC + analogue amp deserves a separate forum thread.

masterkw, from your top output it appears that "rgnd" is the Rune application, and includes some form of web server.
I was about to propose how to run the MPD application separately from the Rune app ... but I just looked at the Rune website and they already say that you can use third-party MPD clients -
Clients - RuneAudio

So you just need to know how to get album art working - I suggest you ask on their forum -
General discussion • RuneAudio Forum

But before you do that, I suggest you check out the Rune UI itself - you might like it. Remember, it's presently configured to use MPD as the server, so you will get gapless playback.
Launch a web browser on your phone, and go to
http//runeaudio
or
http//runeaudio.local

(I removed the : from http because the forum did crazy things with the link)

Last edited:
linuxfan, at this point, thank you so much again. I've started with Rune UI (as a desktop bookmark, no window frame) and it was okay for me...thinking of a more comfortable solution.

I'll give the Rune forum a try but the whole thing is not essential. Important: I can listen to the/my music!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.