ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks for those replies. I've ordered the dIYINHK board. I'll see how I get on when it all arrives but look straight forward enough.

@TioFranco
Interested to read earlier in the thread that you feed a Google Chromecast audio into Ian's ESS dac . You obviously find the SQ from the CCA at a hi enough level to pair with Ian's Dac stack. I have one and if I can use it to stream spotify into my main system then great. What do you use to power your CCa?
Thanks

Thanks for those replies. I've ordered the dIYINHK board. I'll see how I get on when it all arrives but look straight forward enough.

@TioFranco
Interested to read earlier in the thread that you feed a Google Chromecast audio into Ian's ESS dac . You obviously find the SQ from the CCA at a hi enough level to pair with Ian's Dac stack. I have one and if I can use it to stream spotify into my main system then great. What do you use to power your CCa?
Thanks
CCA? What do you mean ...

@TioFranco
Thanks

Power for CCA is not important since it is connected via toslink (galvanically isolated) to Ian's board. Just use stock SMPS.
Now you have two options to connect it:
1. asynchronous - just connect CCA to the toslink receiver from diyinhk connected to Ians dual es9038q2m board.
2. full synchronous (PLL turned off) - connect your CCA to some cheap ak4137 receiver from ebay, then connect I2S to FifoPi reclocker - that is best you can get. :)
As output stage use transformer from bisesik - find in separate thread.

Hi,
Is it possible to use the DAC with an Allo Kali FIFO board or does it only work with Ian's FIFO?

Thanks
It will work. I created such configuration for my friend. It works in true synchronous mode. Pll turned off. You will not be able to play DSD though, since Allo Kali was not designed for that. Only PCM. It also requires to solder one end of ufl cable to mlck output pin of Allo Kali.

Last edited:
I've been trying to scour the internet and this forum to find an answer this question, so sorry if it has been discussed already.

I'm running moode audio on a rpi 3b+ and using the build in moOde driver for the ES9038q2m.

I have the AUDIOPHONICS 1-Sabre 9038q2m and trying to pair it with the Kali reclocker. I'm not convinced it will make a difference but I wanted to try some side by side comparisons. I can't for the life of me figure out how to put it in synchronous mode. According to the 90380 data sheet it can be put into slave mode via i2s, even give the register information to do it, but I'm not a programmer and not sure where to start.

Cheers

You basically can't change anything on the Audiophonics.
It comes with a MCU which controls the DAC.
And the Linux driver talks to that MCU. The few offered controls
towards the userspace is that what's on the table. Nothing more and nothing less.

To introduce any changes you'd have to change the firmware on that MCU
first and then you'd have to adapt the driver.
Bad luck. No chance to get this going! With Sabre's you'll always face
this annoying situation - which really boosts the effort and cost associated to these DACs for IMO pretty much NO reason.

If Allo Katana and Audiophonics do not offer e.g. OSF-B to the outer world - they don't - you simply can't make use of it.
Allo and Audiophonics would have to provide an alternative firmware and a driver update. Good luck with that.

Ian's DAC has the advantage that Ians controller offers a wide range of settings already. I think it's the currently most flexible solution.

You could also use a nonofficial 9038Q2M Linux driver for Ians DAC.
But that one is not offering all controls either.
Ians HAT is the only HAT that can be accessed from the GPIO header though.
Of course writing, adapting and introducing a Linux driver is a pretty complex
project on it's own. If you're not an experienced programmer with kernel programming background - you'll fail.

Hi
Does anyone know if Ian’s Rpi dac board can be used independently from the Rpi as a usb Dac. Thinking of using the IsolatorPi fed by a Amanero or similar into the U.FL out connectors as these seem to be connected to the isolated 40 pin Rpi header?
If that makes any sense can the FifoPi and ESS controller also be used or do these need the Rpi?

Hi
Does anyone know if Ian’s Rpi dac board can be used independently from the Rpi as a usb Dac. Thinking of using the IsolatorPi fed by a Amanero or similar into the U.FL out connectors as these seem to be connected to the isolated 40 pin Rpi header?
If that makes any sense can the FifoPi and ESS controller also be used or do these need the Rpi?

I connected a diyinhk board to a fifopo then dac. diyinhk board replaces a pi in my current setup.
XMOS 768kHz DXD DSD512(DSD1024) high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB - DIYINHK

The drawing also shows a 374 ff which reclocks the signals with masterclock just before I feed them to the fifopi. Should work without the 374, but that is what I did. Just keep the i2s wires short.
The u.fl are fifopi outputs, so you cant use them for this.

I wired into the 40 pin pi connector on the front of the fifopi. I put a 40 pin male header into a small piece of vectorboard. Wired this to the 374/diyinhk board then plug into fifo pi.
Will post a pic later.

Attachments

• usbi2s_pi connect 04_bb.png
    usbi2s_pi connect 04_bb.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 828