ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi

Thanks piocchio,

Roon Labs

Looks great! I'll try it.

Regards,
Ian

Yeah, been using Roon for two years and really like it.

You can control multiple endpoint independently or link them into zones. The music library handling and metadata is really amazing!

As endpoints, if using Pi 2 or 3, I suggest Ropieee or DietPi distros. I’m using a dedicated music server running Roon server for Linux. I used to have it on a Windows 2016 but the Linux version is almost twice as fast when resampling everything to DSD 256. Upsampling is also much faster.

There’s also a bunch of Roon ready endpoints available.

Thanks
Do

OPA1612 adapter PCB

Both OPA1612 and OPA1622 are top of the line audio OP amplifiers. But their sound signatures are slightly different.

OPA1622 is a bit more smooth and sweet, while OPA1612 is a bit more nature and more details. I agree that OPA1622 will be good for SE output stage or the head phone amp of the I/V STD (U3). But I like OPA1612 over OPA1622 for the balanced I/V stage (U1 and U2).

Greg has the similar feels than me. So I designed this adapter PCB package to adapt OPA1612 in SON-8 (my favorite package) to DIP8 to fit the IC sockets of I/V STD.

It's not very difficult to solder if you have experience of assembling the OPA1622 adapter. Or, please refer to this tutorial for the SMT assembling:
DocumentDownload/SMDtutorial.md at master * iancanada/DocumentDownload * GitHub

OPA1612adapterPCB
by Ian, on Flickr

OPA1612adapter
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Hi Ian, Greg, Markw4 and guys,

This is a bit off topic and I am sincerely asking how to pick up and learn electronics? Like how electronics works, how to design amp, preamp, dac etc? What is the I/V stage, i2c controller and so on? What books and ebooks I could pick up and learn?

Thank you.

This is a bit off topic and I am sincerely asking how to pick up and learn electronics? Like how electronics works, how to design amp, preamp, dac etc? What is the I/V stage, i2c controller and so on? What books and ebooks I could pick up and learn?

There is a large, moderately expensive book called, The Art of Electronics. Maybe better to get the hard copy if its easier to study that way. There are different editions and a small number of topics are more in one edition than the other.

Another important reference is, Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering, by Henry Ott.

You may never get through those two depending how how much time you can spare and how much drive you have to learn the subject matter. If you want to be at a professional level, it means you have to keep learning your whole life. Just the way it is. Also, there is a certain amount of mathematical theory that really helps for some things, which we haven't touched on.

Last edited:
TRANSFORMER BASED I/V STAGE

So both Simon and myself have the full Ian stack from LifeP04 supply through FIFO to dual mono ESS DAC outputting only balanced XLR.

We have both implemented upgraded clocks and op-amps on the IV stage with supercaps on the DAC board.

So the next stage of upgrades to try are the implementation of the transformer output on the IV and 3 rail voltage supply to the DAC board.

The Transformer IV board discussion seemed to get derailed between the pro's and cons of the Lundahl LL 1674 and the later possible LL 1544A, the supplied Tx board is for the LL 1544A though.

So were there any thoughts over which Tx was the better implementation for the dual mono DAC with balanced output.

Is the only component that needs adding to the LL 1544A board the supplied Dale resistor ?

We are both loving what this DAC source does so far and eagerly looking to further improvements.
With thanks to Ian for all his efforts.

TRANSFORMER BASED I/V STAGE

So both Simon and myself have the full Ian stack from LifeP04 supply through FIFO to dual mono ESS DAC outputting only balanced XLR.

We have both implemented upgraded clocks and op-amps on the IV stage with supercaps on the DAC board.

So the next stage of upgrades to try are the implementation of the transformer output on the IV and 3 rail voltage supply to the DAC board.

The Transformer IV board discussion seemed to get derailed between the pro's and cons of the Lundahl LL 1674 and the later possible LL 1544A, the supplied Tx board is for the LL 1544A though.

So were there any thoughts over which Tx was the better implementation for the dual mono DAC with balanced output.

Is the only component that needs adding to the LL 1544A board the supplied Dale resistor ?

We are both loving what this DAC source does so far and eagerly looking to further improvements.
With thanks to Ian for all his efforts.

Dale resistors are necessary and have to be assembled. Optional capacitors can change something taste, but have to do more test and research to decide.

I'm looking forward to your update.

Regards,
Ian

It should be a work. But I can not guarantee the quality. Please let me know if you have update.

Please very careful with the pins of this kind of transformer. The magnet wires of the coils are very very thin. Can be easily disconnected inside if the pins were bent.

Ian

I'm interested to hear what the rest of your system is Ian.

Here's mine.

Source: 1Tb Msata, Pi, Fifopi (Crystek clocks), ES9038Q2M Dual Mono Dac HAT (Dac Board has supercapped rails), Standard IV (OPA1612)
Pre: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre with TKD pot.
Powers: Bridged Mod 86p Mono's
SPeakers: Yamaha NS1000M with RAAL 140D replacing tweeters.

Listening is all done near field and at modest volume.

Both OPA1612 and OPA1622 are top of the line audio OP amplifiers. But their sound signatures are slightly different.

OPA1622 is a bit more smooth and sweet, while OPA1612 is a bit more nature and more details. I agree that OPA1622 will be good for SE output stage or the head phone amp of the I/V STD (U3). But I like OPA1612 over OPA1622 for the balanced I/V stage (U1 and U2).

Greg has the similar feels than me. So I designed this adapter PCB package to adapt OPA1612 in SON-8 (my favorite package) to DIP8 to fit the IC sockets of I/V STD.

It's not very difficult to solder if you have experience of assembling the OPA1622 adapter. Or, please refer to this tutorial for the SMT assembling:
DocumentDownload/SMDtutorial.md at master * iancanada/DocumentDownload * GitHub

OPA1612adapterPCB
by Ian, on Flickr

OPA1612adapter
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

In fact, you can buy the finished product, you don't need to solder it yourself, the price is less than $5 with FREE Economy Shipping from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan to worldwide.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252603693880

I'm still a strong believer that I ought to be paid for testing fake components (or at least be given FREE samples)... just saying...

For only $5, you don't worry about being cheated?

You think it's too cheap to be unbelievable? I actually think it's too expensive because it's less than $2 on Taobao. There are buyers' evaluations on ebay, and they are all written in English. I believe everyone can understand and judge.

Hi folks.

I'm seriously thinking about buying Ians Dual-Mono HAT.
I do own a FifoPi (I swapped the clocks with NDKs).
Inmate bisesik offers a very nice transformer HAT for the DAC. That'd my 1st choice as output stage.

I do have an Allo Shanti here but that won't help with the 3.3V.

I'd need at least 3 supplies, right?

1 5V RPI-FifoPi
1 5V clean side FifoPi
1 3.3V DAC

I know several people use 3 x 3.3V supplies/batteries just for the DAC.
How about 1 3.3V supply rail and 3 supercaps per rail? Any preferred supercaps?

#####################

Now comes the SW part. I don't want to use the controller board.
Ian refers to a "public" driver in his documentation.
We had the discussion about the legal implications earlier.
Meanwhile many data are public knowledge anyhow.
As a private person I can do whatever I want with that information. :D

Is anybody using that linux driver? Are there different versions out there?
Anybody with knowledge about that can also PM me.
I do know very well how to integrate stuff into the (RPI) kernel. I basically
just need to know that it works in general and if there are flaws/limitations.
E.g. So far I've seen the driver can not handle sync-clocking from FifoPi.
Can somebody confirm it? Would it be technically possible?

Why all these Qs?
I want to make sure beforehand that I'm not ending in a dead-end street. ;)
My budget is rather limited - no room to waste any investments. And my
current system is actually not sounding that bad. I do really like the idea
of output transformers and the option to adjust the output voltage for better amp integration.

Thx.

Last edited: