Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi, Rick.

Here's an example output from a bare invocation of smbtree after I SSh'ed into my moOde 4.0 player
Code:
pi@moode:~ $ smbtree
Enter pi's password: 
WORKGROUP
	\\PHYLLIS-PC     		
	\\MOODE          		moOde SMB Server
		\\MOODE\IPC$           	IPC Service (moOde SMB Server)
		\\MOODE\SDCARD         	SDCARD Storage
		\\MOODE\RADIO          	RADIO Stations
		\\MOODE\NAS            	NAS Shares
	\\KRYPTON        		krypton server (Samba, Ubuntu)
		\\KRYPTON\HL5450DN       	HL5450DN
		\\KRYPTON\IPC$           	IPC Service (krypton server (Samba, Ubuntu))
		\\KRYPTON\MoodeMusic     	
		\\KRYPTON\Tests          	
		\\KRYPTON\Pictures       	
		\\KRYPTON\Books          	
		\\KRYPTON\print$         	Printer Drivers

(At the moment, my OpenMediaVault is offline.)

Note it asked for my password. This can be bypassed with the '-N' option. Further, my significant other has a Windows host on the LAN (\\PHYLLIS-PC) which is acting as SMB master browser. Dependency on browsers can be bypassed with the '-b' option. The options can be combined. Invoking 'smbtree --help' will get you a list of the available options.

It's also possible to discover these shares using the GUI-based network browsers available on a Windows box or a Linux box running a Desktop Environment. I assume the equivalent exists for MacOS.

Regards,
Kent

Kent,

Thanks for your detailed answer. I did not get an output in my pi when I run smbtree.

If time permits, I may try another install of moode on another sd card later while troubleshooting this.

best regards,
Rick

So, after I "played" with the bluetooth dongle, I went to the Config > SEL page and selected "On-board soundcard". Then, went to Config > Audio > MPD page and selected "On-board soundcard" for output and saved the configuration. I waited until I got the response "MPD service restarted" and tried to play something - nothing happened.

Sorry if I sounded snarky when I said "played". I constantly refer to my own work as playing or hacking and I forget how it might sound to others.

My Config > SEL page doesn't offer "On-board soundcard" as a choice so I'm confused.

As Tim said, manually editing configuration files creates problems. Many of them get modified by moOde based on values entered by the user and stored in the sqlite3 database /var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db. Once the database and the configuration files get out of synch, it's difficult to get back to square one.
Yes, I was able to listen to music before without issues.

My RPi is a model 2B and I don't use a DAC (for the moment).
Ok, I wasn't sure and some folks get no sound because they've forgotten to set for their external DAC.

Candidly, I don't know at this point how to recover. Were I you, I think I'd invest the known amount of time needed to build a new image rather than invest an unknown number of hours trying to figure out what's wrong with the existing one.

Regards,
Kent

Sorry if I sounded snarky when I said "played". I constantly refer to my own work as playing or hacking and I forget how it might sound to others.

My Config > SEL page doesn't offer "On-board soundcard" as a choice so I'm confused.

As Tim said, manually editing configuration files creates problems. Many of them get modified by moOde based on values entered by the user and stored in the sqlite3 database /var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db. Once the database and the configuration files get out of synch, it's difficult to get back to square one.

Ok, I wasn't sure and some folks get no sound because they've forgotten to set for their external DAC.

Candidly, I don't know at this point how to recover. Were I you, I think I'd invest the known amount of time needed to build a new image rather than invest an unknown number of hours trying to figure out what's wrong with the existing one.

Regards,
Kent
Well, after some fiddling around, I solved it by doing this:

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ mpc outputs
Output 1 (ALSA default) is disabled
Output 2 (ALSA crossfeed) is disabled
Output 3 (ALSA parametric eq) is disabled
Output 4 (ALSA graphic eq) is disabled
Output 5 (ALSA bluetooth) is enabled
pi@moode:~ $ mpc enable 1
pi@moode:~ $ mpc status
volume: 37%   repeat: off   random: off   single: off   consume: off

I don't have the error that there are no available outputs and the music plays.

Hi, first of all, thanks for the fantastic efforts on this project.
I'm new to the raspberry/computer world but got Moode running on a RPI3 with digi+ pro (hey, even discovered the VI command in unix to modify the mosbuild_worker.sh, how cool is that). And it sounds so good!
Now I try to figure out Moode but it puzzles me. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

For example: If I use airplay from the Iphone it works. If I stop the airplay and try to use a squeezelite session with iPeng it does not start immediatly. If I use firefox to select music it does not always work completely. So I think I don't understand what I'm exactly asking Moode and therefore things get tangled.

I'm afraid it would replace existing kernel with 4.9.80. Is there something specific in 4.14.y that u are using?

When I briefly tested 4.14.21 it seemed to break Samba mounts. I wasn't able to connect to my Route's Samba share :-0

-Tim

See my earlier posts about samba mount options.

4.14 will eventually become the default Raspbian kernel. The time to get things working with it is now.

No great problem, as long as it is noted in the release notes.

I'll just do an rpi-update after updating Moode.

Cheers,

Phil

See my earlier posts about samba mount options.

4.14 will eventually become the default Raspbian kernel. The time to get things working with it is now.

No great problem, as long as it is noted in the release notes.

I'll just do an rpi-update after updating Moode.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Looking back through my notes and yes, adding the option vers=1.0 to the mount flags did in fact work for 4.14.y

Which option worked in your case?

I can always add vers=1.0 as a default.

-Tim

-Tim

4.0 auto shutoff?

Just installed v 4.0 on 2 devices, both r pi 3. I've noticed that I have to power cycle the r pi when it's been inactive overnight. Is this working as designed? I'm used to leaving the r pi powered on all the time and not having to reboot. It's not a huge deal but it's a surprise. It might be better for the hardware in the long run.

Thanks

Just installed v 4.0 on 2 devices, both r pi 3. I've noticed that I have to power cycle the r pi when it's been inactive overnight. Is this working as designed? I'm used to leaving the r pi powered on all the time and not having to reboot. It's not a huge deal but it's a surprise. It might be better for the hardware in the long run.

Thanks

I have not seen any issues with this, myself. My Pi3 has been running 24/7 now for 27 days without a glitch. Must be something else going on there.

Gary

Hi Tim...I have been running 4.0 since shortly after it came out. I always run with shuffle mode turned on and consume mode on. It seems that the list on the playback screen tends to grow over time. When using the last beta, only the current song playing would show?? The list had grown to as many as 50 songs at one point. Yesterday, I did restart MPD and "so far" only the currently playing song is showing up.

Also, it seems like the volume normalization works a little different from the last beta. Not sure if anything changed there. Before, if a loud track came on, within a few seconds you could hear the volume decrease. I am not seeing that happen now with 4.0 and I find myself manually adjusting the volume on the receiver to compensate.

Thanks again for all of your support!!
Gary

Hi, first of all, thanks for the fantastic efforts on this project.
I'm new to the raspberry/computer world but got Moode running on a RPI3 with digi+ pro (hey, even discovered the VI command in unix to modify the mosbuild_worker.sh, how cool is that). And it sounds so good!
Now I try to figure out Moode but it puzzles me. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

For example: If I use airplay from the Iphone it works. If I stop the airplay and try to use a squeezelite session with iPeng it does not start immediatly. If I use firefox to select music it does not always work completely. So I think I don't understand what I'm exactly asking Moode and therefore things get tangled.

Squeezelite by default hogs the output device. Theres a param that will release the output after some secs. See the link below.
GitHub - ralph-irving/squeezelite: Lightweight headless squeezebox client emulator

You add the param to "Other options" in Squeezelite config

Thanks

My 6 Pi's are on 7/24 and never a need to power cycle.

What are the symptoms that result in having to power cycle?

Hi Tim...I have been running 4.0 since shortly after it came out. I always run with shuffle mode turned on and consume mode on. It seems that the list on the playback screen tends to grow over time. When using the last beta, only the current song playing would show?? The list had grown to as many as 50 songs at one point. Yesterday, I did restart MPD and "so far" only the currently playing song is showing up.

Also, it seems like the volume normalization works a little different from the last beta. Not sure if anything changed there. Before, if a loud track came on, within a few seconds you could hear the volume decrease. I am not seeing that happen now with 4.0 and I find myself manually adjusting the volume on the receiver to compensate.

Thanks again for all of your support!!
Gary

Hi Gary,

You mean auto-shuffle, the setting on Audio config correct?

When this is turned on then pressing Random Play btn automatically activates consume mode and turns that btn on. Only one track should ever be added to Playlist when auto-shuffle is on.

I've never tested volume normalization. I don't see anything in the release notes for MPD 0.20 series that would suggest a fix so maybe its a new bug in MPD.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MusicPlayerDaemon/MPD/v0.20.18/NEWS

-Tim

I had to use

sec=ntlm, vers=1.0

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil,

After a bit of testing I think I'm going with vers=1.0,sec=ntlm for the defaults. They work with both the 4.9 and 4.14 kernels, at least with my Router's Samba share.

Btw, 4.14 has some nice audio fixes. Check out the .20 and .21 commits.
Commits * Hexxeh/rpi-firmware * GitHub

-Tim