Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi - anyone else having problems with this update? Have now tried 3 separate systems (pi0, pi0w, pi3 - all running different dacs, 2 on wifi and one ethernet) with no success. The check for available update takes much longer than previously, and then either tells me no update available (pi0w and pi3), or says it is and then corrupts the system (pi0). Tried with different browsers (chrome, edge, opera) on different access systems (android, win 10, linux). No joy, but the pi3 still plays ok on 3.8.2. Looks like a clean install, unless any other options....? Thanks Adrian

Hi, Adrian.

Are you updating from r3.8 or above? If you try to update an r3.7 installation, you'll be told the software is up to date. (@Tim, it would seem a bit more logic could bring up a message stating an upgrade is available but not OTA.)

I just updated an RPi0w running r3.8.2, Standard Kernel, with on-board audio device and onboard WiFi connection.

It took 5m25s for the "Software update installed/Reboot required" message to pop up. YMMV.

I rebooted from the Configure menu. After a while, I was back at the moOde Player screen. The "Software update installed/Reboot required" message popped up again. I ignored it. At this point, my moOde Player is up to r3.8.3 but still running on the old kernel 4.9.40+. As Tim's update message states, I had to (Re)Install the kernel via the Configure menu. Now I'm running Standard Kernel 4.9.41+.

I wonder if your uSD cards are flaky.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Tim,

So it seems the culprit (bizarrely) was the 2.4Ghz WIFI - turn it off on the router, leaving just 5Ghz and no more 16bit/44.1khz dropouts.

Hi, Si.

Is this with your files served over your Powerline network or from local media?

I've had to re-instate the 2.4Ghz WIFI due to having a few devices like Kindle's that won't support 5Ghz, but I've moved everything that does support 5Ghz over and this seems to have made the issue go away..

Si

This is most curious. Strong enough spurious radiation in the same frequency domain can interfere with WiFi communication. Microwave ovens and cordless phones are notorious examples of a spurious emitter. I'm not sure, though, how to relate your reported symptoms solely to such interference from the HiFiBerry product ([ed]: if it's an emitter, perhaps it's also susceptable to radiation from other devices?). It'll be interesting to hear if getting a new HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro also results in the issue going away---assuming you want to do the test by reconfiguring all your WiFi devices back to 2.4GHz:rolleyes:

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
2.5" harddrive

Hi all,
I am very new to the moode audio player.
I listen to it in my sleeping room. I only have a wlan repeater in this room, so wlan is pretty good and lan not available.
This works well if I do not stream but hook a harddrive to the moode player and use wlan to control it. It feels quite snappy in this setup.
At the moment I use an older 1 Tb 3,5 harddrive. Its bulky and needs a "big" PSU.
I would like to upgrade to a 2Tb Transcend TS2TSJ25M3 StoreJet M3. This is a modern 2.5" harddrive.
Has anyone experience with this kind of harddrive? Will it work without an active hub?
My setup ist raspi3, Kali, piano fed via Kali with 5V 3A psu.
Thanks
Heifisch

Hi all,
I am very new to the moode audio player.
I listen to it in my sleeping room. I only have a wlan repeater in this room, so wlan is pretty good and lan not available.
This works well if I do not stream but hook a harddrive to the moode player and use wlan to control it. It feels quite snappy in this setup.
At the moment I use an older 1 Tb 3,5 harddrive. Its bulky and needs a "big" PSU.
I would like to upgrade to a 2Tb Transcend TS2TSJ25M3 StoreJet M3. This is a modern 2.5" harddrive.
Has anyone experience with this kind of harddrive? Will it work without an active hub?
My setup ist raspi3, Kali, piano fed via Kali with 5V 3A psu.
Thanks
Heifisch

Hi, Heifisch.

I have no experience with this drive and didn't find any power consumption data published online. It would be especially good to know the start-up power demand.

This is a USB3.0 drive. I notice the user manual specifically states some computers may not be able to supply enough power through their USB2.0 port. Apparently it comes with a cable which allows one to plug into one USB2.0 port for power and signal and a second USB2.0 port for additional power.

Will this drive work on an RPi directly? Maybe. According to the specs (Raspberry Pi FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions), the total current you can expect to draw through all the USB ports on an RPi2b or RPi3b is 1200mA. You may indeed need to connect it through a powered USB hub and a decent one at that.

Regards,
Kent

If anyone is interested... Since I started my MPD Pi project, I've been plagued by pops/clicks for files above 48k. One of the reasons I switched to MoOde is this player's ability to re-sample higher res files down to 24/48, but it always bugged me that I couldn't play 24/96 files at full resolution without the occasional faint "tick" on my hardware setup.

In an effort to solve this, I decided to try to take the USB connection to the DAC (Musical Fidelity V90) out of the chain. I installed a JustBoom Digi-HAT for the Pi3 to connect via optical (or coax) to the DAC, so the files play through that I2S device.

As they say... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. No more pops/clicks, and audio high-resolution files are now playing in glorious 24/96.

So, if a MoOde user is using a USB connection to a DAC and is experiencing faint random pops and clicks, particularly with higher-resolution files, I strongly recommend a digital connection other than USB to the DAC instead.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:
I am using version 3.7. When using ssh, can not login with IP address due to password problem... none of the following "raspberry" "moodeaudio" or "moode" work. Seems to play fine with browser but need to occasionally reboot using ssh (SD card issue...)

A. is there a way to upgrade to 3.8 version, when I try to upgrade in 3.7, states I have the latest update?
B. is there a short tutorial on the web on how to boot off of a USB?, my SD cards are troublesome....

thanks,

I am using version 3.7. When using ssh, can not login with IP address due to password problem... none of the following "raspberry" "moodeaudio" or "moode" work. Seems to play fine with browser but need to occasionally reboot using ssh (SD card issue...)

What happens if you simply power-cycle the RPi?

If the username "pi" and password "raspberry" don't work on an r3.7 system then you must have changed your credentials or (somewhat far-fetched) your SD card issue is preventing the login.

A. is there a way to upgrade to 3.8 version, when I try to upgrade in 3.7, states I have the latest update?
r3.8 requires a fresh install. I just noted in a recent message that this report saying an r3.7 installation has the latest update could be improved on. It's true in the sense that it has the latest update for the r3.7 series.
B. is there a short tutorial on the web on how to boot off of a USB?, my SD cards are troublesome....
What model RPi? If an RPi3b, you can do boot directly from USB. If an RPi2b, there is an indirect method which bootstraps from a file on the uSD card to get to the USB drive. The RPi3B method has been discussed previously in this thread. Both it and the RPi2B method are discussed on the RaspberryPi.org site.

Regards,
Kent

What happens if you simply power-cycle the RPi?

If the username "pi" and password "raspberry" don't work on an r3.7 system then you must have changed your credentials or (somewhat far-fetched) your SD card issue is preventing the login.

r3.8 requires a fresh install. I just noted in a recent message that this report saying an r3.7 installation has the latest update could be improved on. It's true in the sense that it has the latest update for the r3.7 series.

What model RPi? If an RPi3b, you can do boot directly from USB. If an RPi2b, there is an indirect method which bootstraps from a file on the uSD card to get to the USB drive. The RPi3B method has been discussed previously in this thread. Both it and the RPi2B method are discussed on the RaspberryPi.org site.

Regards,
Kent

power cycling result in the same problem. Can the password be reset by booting the SD in another PC using "passwd" command but root or pi password does not work...

if I want to try r3.8 version, will I have to pay $10 so I can unzip the file?

thanks

Hi, Si.

Is this with your files served over your Powerline network or from local media?

This is most curious. Strong enough spurious radiation in the same frequency domain can interfere with WiFi communication. Microwave ovens and cordless phones are notorious examples of a spurious emitter. I'm not sure, though, how to relate your reported symptoms solely to such interference from the HiFiBerry product ([ed]: if it's an emitter, perhaps it's also susceptable to radiation from other devices?). It'll be interesting to hear if getting a new HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro also results in the issue going away---assuming you want to do the test by reconfiguring all your WiFi devices back to 2.4GHz:rolleyes:

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Residential power wiring is inherently noisy, and its subject to injected noise from light dimmers, appliances, etc., and it forms a giant copper antenna. Its definitely not the greatest medium for transmitting audio data.

Unlike bulk data transfers (Web, Email, Downloads, etc) which use TCP protocol (guaranteed delivery or fail), audio data transfers use UDP (best effort, no retries) and use isochronous transmission which requires that the network provides a guaranteed data rate for the duration of the transfer.

Noisy network + UDP + isochronous tranmission = audio glitches!

-Tim

If anyone is interested... Since I started my MPD Pi project, I've been plagued by pops/clicks for files above 48k. One of the reasons I switched to MoOde is this player's ability to re-sample higher res files down to 24/48, but it always bugged me that I couldn't play 24/96 files at full resolution without the occasional faint "tick" on my hardware setup.

In an effort to solve this, I decided to try to take the USB connection to the DAC (Musical Fidelity V90) out of the chain. I installed a JustBoom Digi-HAT for the Pi3 to connect via optical (or coax) to the DAC, so the files play through that I2S device.

As they say... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. No more pops/clicks, and audio high-resolution files are now playing in glorious 24/96.

So, if a MoOde user is using a USB connection to a DAC and is experiencing faint random pops and clicks, particularly with higher-resolution files, I strongly recommend a digital connection other than USB to the DAC instead.

Hope this helps someone!

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear this :)

Did u try the USB (UAC2) work around on System config?

-Tim

Hi Kent,

Residential power wiring is inherently noisy, and its subject to injected noise from light dimmers, appliances, etc., and it forms a giant copper antenna. Its definitely not the greatest medium for transmitting audio data.

Unlike bulk data transfers (Web, Email, Downloads, etc) which use TCP protocol (guaranteed delivery or fail), audio data transfers use UDP (best effort, no retries) and use isochronous transmission which requires that the network provides a guaranteed data rate for the duration of the transfer.

Noisy network + UDP + isochronous tranmission = audio glitches!

-Tim

Yes. That's why I asked whether files were being read via the Powerline Network or from local media when the issue went away.

On a totally unrelated subject, have you experimented yet with the BlueAlsa package in Raspbian Stretch? I got it up with just a couple lines of input. Right now I'm playing the soundtrack for the movie Pitch Perfect over a JBL Bluetooth speaker I happen to have. It's a lousy speaker but it suffices to prove BlueAlsa works.

Regards,
Kent

power cycling result in the same problem. Can the password be reset by booting the SD in another PC using "passwd" command but root or pi password does not work...

No.

However, if you have a Linux computer available (or possibly OS X, but I don't have it so can't comment) you can mount the second partition of the SD card and do some black magic to regenerate the password in the file /etc/shadow. See, for example, How are passwords stored in Linux (Understanding hashing with shadow utils).

If you have only a Windows computer available, you can always live-boot Linux from a USB drive. Google is your friend.

if I want to try r3.8 version, will I have to pay $10 so I can unzip the file?

You should be able to reuse the key you used to unzip r3.7.

You're welcome.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear this :)

Did u try the USB (UAC2) work around on System config?

-Tim

Hi Tim...

Yeah, I tried that work around, and a dozen other software and hardware attempts at fixing my faint "ticks" when playing high-resolution files over USB.

From my experience, digital out of the Pi is the best way to connect to a DAC. Thanks for your great software!

Hi Kent,

Stretch testing is just beginning for me. I'm still squashing the last few bugs in the Jessie build of moodeOS and moOde. Stretch brings new versions of ALSA, Samba etc and will take some time figure out.

Its nice to see that after the BlueZ project for some strange reason deleted ALSA support in Jessie is now supporting it again in Stretch.

-Tim