Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi, I have copied it into a previous message, but also packed here :

https://mega.nz/#!gwwD2RbR!GWYYRTBfzSikN7v-j1mi2pA-oF3cflyWEWsDlj2f3I8

as well as the lcdi2c program, which is from here :
Utility To Control 1602 LCD On Raspberry Pi Via A PCF8574 I2C Backpack Module

Thanks,
JG

Hi,

Since it requires component software to be installed and configured, and you already have done this, it would easier if you debugged on your end.

What I would suggest is running lcdup.sh (the LCD updater engine) from the cmd line and checking for any errors, and/or adding some debug echo statements to it.

The file is: /var/www/command/lcdup.sh

To run it: /var/www/command/lcdup.sh <path to python script>

To verify that lcdup.sh actually works, you can create a simple shell script that does: cp /var/www/currentsong.txt ~/lcd.txt and supply path to this script when you run lcdup.sh.

-Tim

Thanks!

It is better now.
It was saying:
pi@radio:/var/www/command $ ./lcdup.sh /home/pi/update.py
./lcdup.sh: /home/pi/update.py: /usr/bin/python^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
pi@radio:/var/www/command $

I was wondering what is that ^M in the message and I found it in the file. I guess the problem is that I opened the file to edit in windows total commander's editor and it left some end of line things in it. From the call ./lcdup.sh /home/pi/update.py it works now fine.
When I returned first to the web interface and changed stations, the LCD wrote out strange things, but after reboot it works fine now.
I have to work on the script, to form the message better, but the update works fine now.
Thanks,
JG

Hi,

Moode does not contain an integrated multi-room audio feature with central management of endpoints, volume, etc. I'm not aware of any mature Open Source software that integrates with MPD and provides robust, reliable, multi-room synchronized audio that is also synchronized with local MPD, and that provides a management interface.

What can be done however is to turn on the Airplay receiver in Moode and then use PC or Mac iTunes as the multi-room sync and management solution. The Airplay receiver in Moode is shairport-sync which provides a sync mechanism that is used by host Airplay senders for example iTunes.

Regarding your other comments and observations:

1) Same Moode radio station stream playing on separate Raspberry Pi computers will not be synchronized. There is no mechanism in Moode that can sync the streams.

2) Moode doesn't not contain a facility for managing other Moode hosts. Moode host and service names must be distinct on each Raspberry Pi running Moode. These can be changed in System config. Accessing via Browser requires separate tab for each Moode host for example http: //moode1.local, http: //moode2.local, etc.

-Tim

Thanks Tim,
Doesn't the fact that all rooms are accessing the same radio stream mean they all get it at the same time ? or are you talking very slight differences between rooms? I am basing this brilliant assertion on the fact if I have two radios on, each in separate rooms they will "sound" synced.I'm prepared to be enlightened:)

Re the airplay, what's the connection between itunes and airplay?
I dont use anything apple at present and all my music is on NAS.
I'm not sure what exactly airplay is!
Is it apples multi-room sync and management solution software that's free if you join itunes?

Is this the same thing?
https://www.airserver.com/Usage/Entertainment

I take it I would need to have my PC on and running some airplay or other for any of this to work?

Hello,
It is only an alfanumeric display.

There is still something not right. There is radio station it just does not update to. The currentsong.txt does update, but the LCD not. And after, the LCD writes out strange things again and updates not once, but a few times after the change, quickly flashing. It happens that I see the title for a flash.

After reboot it works fine again, until I hit this channel :
"SMOOTH GROOVING FM - UK (London): Unknown - Super Smoothing with Roddy lucas wk35"
Strange is, if I call manually : like ./lcdup.sh /home/pi/update.py , it works fine (on other channels). If I change station again from the web interface, it is a mess again on the LCD.

I worked for long with linux, but I'm new to python. I guess there is something wrong in the script.

Can someone help with that? I have cleaned out all the "^M"-s now.

What I can reproduce any time, even after boot is that when I change to the channel above, it does not update. If I try to update manually :
pi@radio:~ $ /var/www/command/lcdup.sh /home/pi/update.py
sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
pi@radio:~ $

It is strange for me, that if there is a "(" in the string, than I have this problem. Why is it matter what is in the string?

Thanks a lot!
*******************#!/usr/bin/python
import time
import os

# Timing constants
E_PULSE = 0.00005
E_DELAY = 0.00005

def main():
# Main program block

f=os.popen("mpc current")
station = ""
for i in f.readlines():
station += i
# Send some text
station = station[0:32]
os.system("lcdi2c -i -l -b 1 -x 0 -y 0 " + station)

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()

Last edited:
Thanks Tim,
Doesn't the fact that all rooms are accessing the same radio stream mean they all get it at the same time ? or are you talking very slight differences between rooms? I am basing this brilliant assertion on the fact if I have two radios on, each in separate rooms they will "sound" synced.I'm prepared to be enlightened:)

Re the airplay, what's the connection between itunes and airplay?
I dont use anything apple at present and all my music is on NAS.
I'm not sure what exactly airplay is!
Is it apples multi-room sync and management solution software that's free if you join itunes?

Is this the same thing?
https://www.airserver.com/Usage/Entertainment

I take it I would need to have my PC on and running some airplay or other for any of this to work?

Hi,

Internet based streaming radio is not a broadcast technology like FM radio and thus there is no guarantee that individual computers will receive their particular stream in sync with any other.

-Tim

I think there is guarantee that it will not be in sync.
We would need to sync the clock what the output audio signal clock is devided from and we would need to start the audio in same time and same point. Nothing in the chain is designed for that. A little phase delay, especially around voice frequencies would do strange things.

I'm sorry if I chat into something I should not, but I think it is not Moode specific, I do not think any inet radio would be capable to do that.

In professional audio, they solve it very different way and all delays are controlled accurately in the system.

Regards,
JG

It needn't necessarily be a PC or a Mac. At the moment I'm using a cheap Android tablet. With Moode I can use that to select files from my USB hard drive, or play radio streams, and also have the choice of several streaming services such as Tidal, Qobuz, and Google Play which will work via UPNP through Moode.

John

Last edited:
It needn't necessarily be a PC or a Mac. At the moment I'm using a cheap Android tablet. With Moode I can use that to select files from my USB hard drive, or play radio streams, and also have the choice of several streaming services such as Tidal, Qobuz, and Google Play which will work via UPNP through Moode.

John

Thanks John
I'm a bit fixated on having something that plays radio and NAS in any room and simultaneously if possible without needing anything else on i.e screens or PCs

If I got a tablet of some sort I suppose it doesn't stop me using my phone mostly and the airplay can run in the background on the tablet even with the screen off?
Also individual rooms would work on my phone with the tablet off?
Is that the setup you've got?

Would the airplay sync radio streams in separate rooms too?

@jbg

If you're using a phone I see no need for a tablet as well. I've never tried to sync music in several rooms though.
If you set up a long playlist or trigger random play from your NAS the music will play all day without any screens, phones or computers turned on - apart from the RPi of course. You won't have any control over it though!
I think your best bet is to get in there, start playing around with stuff and finding out what will work out for you

John

Last edited:
If you put some m4a files on a USB flash drive, does it find them?

Do the files show in browse>NAS, but not in library?

After refreshing, are there any errors in mpd.log?

How many files in total on your NAS?

Are you using SMB?

Are the file permissions the same for FLAC as for M4A? Is the NAS the file store for iTunes, or do you copy your M4A files manually

Last edited: