Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Is there a reason you can't use the shutdown feature of the UI? I have just built a unit using an old vintage radio chassis and have a power switch, but I close moode down using shutdown first.

Am I missing something?

Your mileage may vary but

1) occasionally I've found my Moode Player UI unresponsive so nothing in it including the shutdown feature is accessible. Often it's still possible to login via ssh and restart or shut down the player, but that's not very user friendly (think grandkids).

2) it's nice to use a button on the player itself and not have to go to my desktop computer, reach for my smart phone or a tablet, whatever. One could go farther and wish for a local volume control/mute on the player box too. There are several approaches which suggest themselves to me, but the cute Bluetooth controller Fernando is playing with (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-300.html#post4710040) looks especially appealing. Can't wait to hear if he's successful with it. Imaginaryfriend is looking at Bluetooth too.

3) I have other, non-Moode RPi projects in mind, so this is a good test case.

If you're lucky and the RPi is in a quiescent state, you can get away with simply killing the power. If you're unlucky, killing the power will corrupt the card and leave you with an unbootable system. My toast always falls to the floor jelly-side down, so I prefer orderly shutdowns.

Regards,
Kent

PowerBlock petRockBlog Online Store Powered by Storenvy - I used one of these in another project (built an emulator machine into an old sega megadrive [genesis for you yanks] console) and it works amazingly. The downside is it takes the first set of pins which are often also used by DACs.... I'd have to look into the code to see how easy it would be to rewire and if it's at all possible to reqire. If it is I'll try and draw out a schematic, but a lot depends on how well (read: "if") there is any circuit documentation for the power block or if I can decipher the circuit board and code.

EDIT: Apparently you can wire multiple I2C devices in parallel to a Pi if you use a common ground pin... It would be interesting to test if this would work for having both a DAC and the powerblock as SDA1 I2C (pin 3), SCL1 I2C (pin 5) and PCM_CLK (pin 12) are all pins that are shared between my DAC and the power block. Potentially it may only require a driver edit for pin 12 to make it work as that might be the GPIO pin for the power switch...

Thanks for pointing out this product (and it has some competitors). It may well be the answer for others.

I have nothing against the Powerblock and and its competitors, but as commercial products costing 20USD and up, they lack appeal for me. I choose to come up with alternatives. Once a hacker, always a hacker, and your remarks convince me you're a hacker too. We just decided on different starting points :)

Regards,
Kent

My moode setup works well. I am interested in modifying the /etc/dhcpcd.conf file which is empty on mine. Is this safe to modify to change to static address and reboot, as can be done in raspian os?

Hi,

You can set static IP address for eth0 or wlan0 using Moode 2.6 Network config page.

Btw, if /etc/dhcpcd.conf is empty then either your installation is broken or there is a bug in 2.6 TR4 that I'm not aware of yet. This file is automatically generated and updated by the code.

Regards,
Tim

Gentle persons:

I think I've muttered before about the RPi designers not providing any onboard buttons and microcode to effect an orderly shutdown or reboot sequence. Well, I just stumbled across a blog entry that now has me muttering "why didn't I think of that"...

https://matthew.mceachen.us/blog/give-your-raspberry-pi-a-shutdown-switch-for-free-1397.html

I've already picked up a short USB extension cable to bring a port out to a connector on a case so unplugging a USB device (doesn't have to be a WiFi adapter, obviously) would be easy and wouldn't wear out the onboard connectors unnecessarily, and now I'm thinking I could wire up a switch to avoid even the physical unplugging.

This udev trick easily could be exploited for other purposes as well.

Why do this instead of exploiting a spare GPIO line or two? No new code or wiring required.

Regards,
Kent
Hello Kent,

this is indeed a nice trick !! I have added my USB-DAC ID and now my rPi does down as soon as I power down my DAC :)

This is great because I usually forget to shutdown my rPi through the browser when I shutdown my PC and need to reopen my browser from some other device.

I'm a happy camper !! Thank you for pointed us to this. :D

Hello Kent,

this is indeed a nice trick !! I have added my USB-DAC ID and now my rPi does down as soon as I power down my DAC :)

This is great because I usually forget to shutdown my rPi through the browser when I shutdown my PC and need to reopen my browser from some other device.

I'm a happy camper !! Thank you for pointed us to this. :D

Oops, I just had an "interesting" event in my browser and it seems to have posted my reply before I could write it!?!

Thanks for this report, MSHAVS, it validates my thinking about adding a switch to the USB port. Now to actually do it. This morning I dug out an old external hard-drive enclosure that I think will be the perfect box. A bit "techno" perhaps, but sturdy, with sufficient space internally, an LED on the front panel, and already punched on the backpanel for various connectors with room for more. I might even be able to repurpose the internal power supply.

So many projects, so little time!

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
Hi,

You can set static IP address for eth0 or wlan0 using Moode 2.6 Network config page.

Btw, if /etc/dhcpcd.conf is empty then either your installation is broken or there is a bug in 2.6 TR4 that I'm not aware of yet. This file is automatically generated and updated by the code.

Regards,
Tim

1. I have the version 2.5 installed. Is there a way to upgrade? perhaps with ssh with apt-get upgrade?, or do I have to start from a newly formatted microSD?.

2. I should have stated /etc/dhclient.conf. On version 2.5 it is properly populated. Is it possible to manually update this file to use the static address?

thanks

Hi,

I got Moode working with Pi3 and DAM1021 over I2S. It worked straight out of the image with minimal configuration, great job Moode team :)
I have also wrote some node.js code to control DAM over serial port on another raspbian card. How can I install and get node.js code working on a Moode os (I need the following installed: node.js, express, serial.io,LIRC and gpio.io). Also what is the startup script where I can start my node.js app everytime pi3 boots.

Thanks

Hi,

I got Moode working with Pi3 and DAM1021 over I2S. It worked straight out of the image with minimal configuration, great job Moode team :)
I have also wrote some node.js code to control DAM over serial port on another raspbian card. How can I install and get node.js code working on a Moode os (I need the following installed: node.js, express, serial.io,LIRC and gpio.io). Also what is the startup script where I can start my node.js app everytime pi3 boots.

Thanks

Hi,

Nice! Soekris DAC is very cool :)

U can use /etc/rc.local as startup script.

There are probably packages available for Raspbian Jessie via "apt-get install" for the software you mentioned but I would first Google to see if there any issues with the particular versions in Jessie repo.

Regards,
Tim

I use a couple of Synology NAS units and the below suggestions are based on my setup.

You do not seem to be using a Static IP address for the NAS - best to set that up first otherwise everytime it reboots the IP address MAY change. What router are you using?

Once you have done this then on the Synology / NFS set Client to * and tick the other two boxes.

On the RPi / Moode enter your new Static IP address and for folder enter /volume1/music.
I am using an Apple Airport extreme latest gen for wifi. Internet Service provider is ATT Uverse which requires use of a Motorola Gateway. Just to recap here are the other components in play.

Synology NAS DS415play
Mac book pro
Raspberry Pi 3 with Hifiberry DAC Pro
Moode Audio 2.6 TR4

You probably have already spoken , but I can not read all the posts . I connected the usb hd nearly 2 tera ; after a night to index it , I saw the whole library. Moving the raspberry , connecting a stick and then reconnecting the hd indexing has started again without prompting . And ' possible to keep updating archive memory perhaps with the "news" ? thank you

I am using an Apple Airport extreme latest gen for wifi. Internet Service provider is ATT Uverse which requires use of a Motorola Gateway. Just to recap here are the other components in play.

Synology NAS DS415play
Mac book pro
Raspberry Pi 3 with Hifiberry DAC Pro
Moode Audio 2.6 TR4
Would you mind if I asked for just a little bit of help. I did not follow what you meant "Once you have done this then on the Synology / NFS set Client to * and tick the other two boxes.

I have set up the static IP address now but feel I am a couple steps shy of getting this to work.

Hi,

Yes. Moode 2.6 supports WiFi Access Point (AP) mode. U can connect to it directly by first joining the network named "Moode", then "http://moode.local"

Try Moode 2.6 Test Release 4 (TR4) available under TEST CODE button at moodeaudio.org. Read the Setup guide for an explanation of AP mode and for a list of WiFi adapters that support AP mode.

Regards,
Tim

Thank you so much. This is exactly what i was looking for.
And it works right out of the box. So really easy to setup.

Kindly regards,
Toetertje from Holland.

I use a couple of Synology NAS units and the below suggestions are based on my setup.

You do not seem to be using a Static IP address for the NAS - best to set that up first otherwise everytime it reboots the IP address MAY change. What router are you using?

Once you have done this then on the Synology / NFS set Client to * and tick the other two boxes.

On the RPi / Moode enter your new Static IP address and for folder enter /volume1/music.
On my synology 215 it is "volume1/music" without leading /
Check Also authorization on the NAS and " squash : map all users to admin" Google Synology support website https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=95525&p=360801&hilit=No+root+squash#p360801
Very tricky

Last edited:
Hi,

Just a quick summary of TR4 bugfixes and updates that have been completed while working on TR5.

1) FIX: etc/dhcpcd.conf static wlan0 address not commented out on fresh image
2) FIX: incorrect worker log message when eth0 does not exist
3) FIX: cfg_radio missing 1st record
4) FIX: lib/systemd/system/mpd.service and .socket have +x 0755 and should be 0644
5) UPD: MPD socket connection handling
6) UPD: USB audio hot-plug management

Update #5 uses some of AndiG's nice socket handling code from Moode 3 prototype and will probably fix a few issues including the rare php-cpu-hog condition.

Update #6 is a greatly simplified handler for USB audio hot-plug made possible by upd #5.

Regards,
Tim

Loving the new version (esp. 320k BBC feeds ;) ).
Still trying to perfect my install with Official 7" Touch display using Midori in application mode. Would love to find a way to react like other touch devices like iPhone/iPad..... any suggestions already tried changing User Agent...

Also new station I added "Radio X Brussels", url : "http://fire.wavestreamer.com:7885/stream/1/" and logo attached.

Attachments

• RadioX_Brussels.png
    RadioX_Brussels.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Radio_X_BXL.png
    Radio_X_BXL.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 204
I installed chromium (install steps at #2108), but it isn't responsive enough... (Rpi2)

I use android and mpdroid instead....😐

I guess Chromium might be a choice worth investigating.

i'm using iOS devices and the extra power of Rpi3 helps I guess, here is a screenshot with RSI Swiss Italian Radio stations;

Again urls :

http://stream.srg-ssr.ch/m/reteuno/mp3_128
http://stream.srg-ssr.ch/m/retedue/mp3_128
http://stream.srg-ssr.ch/m/retetre/mp3_128

Logos attached

Attachments

• RSI_onMoode.jpg
    RSI_onMoode.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 204
  • RSI_Rete_Uno.png
    RSI_Rete_Uno.png
    20 KB · Views: 196