Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F6 build
F6 build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 03:41 PM   #31
intojazz is online now intojazz  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey,
Iíve received most of the parts to begin the build already. I ordered a transformer from Antek and have been reviewing the bom for the power supply. The recommended electrolytic caps are 10000-15000 uf 35v. If the caps are in that range and fit the pcb properly nothing else changes, right? Iím asking because I see where larger value caps have been used (18000 uf). Just want to be sure before ordering.
Thanks
Old Today, 04:02 PM   #32
Bikeratl is offline Bikeratl  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you @ColinA123 and @TungstenAudio for that info. I noticed my kit from diyaudio included 8 zeners, and although the markings on 4 indicated 5.1v but the other markings didn't show up in a digikey search. Once I looked at the old BOM they were indeed 6.0v, so I'm all set there. Unfortunately I had soldered the 10kOhm resisters into R7and R8 before I saw that, so I'll desolder that and order the 3k3 for those spaces. Glad I bought that solder sucker.

@intojazz - You are a step ahead of me, but I was just looking at transformers yesterday and was wondering that myself. I also ordered the softstart board and the DC protection board as well, so I have to look thru those and order those parts as well.
Old Today, 10:35 PM   #33
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

F6 build
Quote:
Originally Posted by intojazz View Post
Hey,
Iíve received most of the parts to begin the build already. I ordered a transformer from Antek and have been reviewing the bom for the power supply. The recommended electrolytic caps are 10000-15000 uf 35v. If the caps are in that range and fit the pcb properly nothing else changes, right? Iím asking because I see where larger value caps have been used (18000 uf). Just want to be sure before ordering.
Thanks
It is completely your choice re: caps. Make sure your choice of diameter and mounting parameters (snap-in) match the board. You'll see a zillion opinions.

One opinion...

If you have an inclination that you may want to do a higher power amplifier in the future using the same power supply... you might choose to get 50V rated caps. They are not that much more expensive, and will allow a bit more "future proofing". If you know that this PSU will only be used (conservatively) below 30V or so... then 35V caps are just great. All First Watt amps are ~24V rails.

Common choices are 35 or 50V rated 18kuF or 22kuF. If you can find 105 degree rated at a price you're willing to pay, they might last longer. If not... just get 85 degree rated caps and don't lose a wink of sleep.

F6 buildHide this!Advertise here!