Single Ended Tokin SIT THF-51S Common Drain Mu Follower Amplifier, 45W?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks, I appreciate all the "likes" and comments.

Before I started out, I thought that KiCad and the process of creating pcbs daunting. But taking one step at a time, it became a very manageable learning process. Whenever I got stuck, I searched the internet for solutions. I think my previous experience with LTSpice and manually laying out my perf board circuits helped me to get up to speed with KiCad, although at a very slow speed.

I have done a bit more tweaking of the board. So now to mirror the board for the other channel. I have not found a way to effectively do that with KiCad so I am manually deleting the copper traces and manually repositioning all of the footprints and redrawing the traces. At least KiCad allowed me to mirror the image of the board so I can use the image to help me relocate the footprints to the mirrored locations.

Then the big question is whether the boards will work in real life. Once the designs are done, I'll have to order some boards and test them.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Thanks, I appreciate all the "likes" and comments.

Before I started out, I thought that KiCad and the process of creating pcbs daunting. But taking one step at a time, it became a very manageable learning process. Whenever I got stuck, I searched the internet for solutions. I think my previous experience with LTSpice and manually laying out my perf board circuits helped me to get up to speed with KiCad, although at a very slow speed.

I have done a bit more tweaking of the board. So now to mirror the board for the other channel. I have not found a way to effectively do that with KiCad so I am manually deleting the copper traces and manually repositioning all of the footprints and redrawing the traces. At least KiCad allowed me to mirror the image of the board so I can use the image to help me relocate the footprints to the mirrored locations.

Then the big question is whether the boards will work in real life. Once the designs are done, I'll have to order some boards and test them.
You’ll find it supremely addictive :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:clown:

Grunf Ita 4.jpg

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Whoops, I found a mistake. The mirrored optocoupler to avoid crossing wires in the LTSpice schematic messed up my brain. Here is the corrected KiCad schematic. I have made the correction but now I am contemplating some re-arrangement of footprints and re-routing of traces to tweak it some more. The joys of diy.

Attachments

• THf-51S Mu Follower KiCad Schematic-corrected.png
    THf-51S Mu Follower KiCad Schematic-corrected.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was having Kosher approach years ago, thinking "everything must be identical between channels" ........ then - that's another thing I learned from Pa - if he's completely happy having L vs. R channel pcbs sort of mirrored for his FW products, then ........

but, frankly, if I can avoid it ..... if nothing else - less work in Eagle that way

completely dependable of OS part arrangement; when you have one row of TO247 parts, reasoning is to put them on lower 1/3 of heatsink height and we like to have input on one end of pcb ..... mirroring is a must

other example is - say - Babelfish Aleph J - pcb small enough that input is sorta centered physically - so no need and no benefits of mirroring

here is, as illustration, probable Store B J

just imagine it upside-down on hsnk

Attachments

• Aleph J for DiyA pcb bottom render.png
    Aleph J for DiyA pcb bottom render.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Aleph J for DiyA pcb top render.png
    Aleph J for DiyA pcb top render.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Aleph J for DiyA parts placement.png
    Aleph J for DiyA parts placement.png
    375.1 KB · Views: 115