Scourge, Bulwark, Marauder, Dreadnought "front end" cards for DIY VFET amp

Would I be correct in assuming that the two front ends that don't use the transformer are the ones that are most likely to have a different "sound signature" than the included front ends with the Kits?

(I know the simplest answer is: "build them all and try for yourself", but if someone was to just talk about things and theorize about possible scenarios, please humor me! :) )

Best,
Rafa.

Rafa,

The transformer will certainly impose it's sonic thumbprint on the sound signature, though they can be extremely transparent sounding (I used Cinemag iron at both input and output of my current preamp, and their sonic imprint is quite subtle). The circuit driving the transformer primary winding will have a large effect on how transparent the transformer is, both in terms of distortion and frequency response.

So there's plenty of room to play with the sound signature either with or without the transformer, but I surmise the the front ends will have progressively less transformer coloration as you go from the kit front end, to Scourge, to Bulwark (in that order) ... just based on my guesses about their respective output impedances into the transformer primary.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So far I'm liking the Relentless front end card (post #19) a lot. It's the first one with all-SMD components and the number of parts is small, so its signal path is reasonably minimal. However Relentless does use an Edcor transformer, so it's hard to know whether the sonic signature is dominated by the circuitry or by the transformer.

I like the other cards too, don't get me wrong, but Relentless is mighty nice and deserves to be mentioned occasionally.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Nothing mounted on bottom side of Relentless PCB. Some of the vias between TopCopper and BottomCopper are visible in the photo below, for example in a horizontal row about 1/8th of the way down from the top edge of the board. As you know if you've ever laid out or soldered an SMD board, they always have quite a few vias.

A few key words in the Principles Of Operation silkscreen text have been deleted, but there are no components or PCB footprints hiding beneath the blue boxes. Truthfully.

Most of Relentless is undisclosed.

_

Attachments

• front_back_rot.jpg
    front_back_rot.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Mark - thanks for the excellent zip files per front end!!!

I just added up parts prices to build a pair of boards per amp (US Dollars). To save you all time doing the math...

Parts on Mouser (some on backorder...) + $12 per Edcor
Scourge = $54
Bulwark = $58
Dreadnought = $100
Marauder = $100

Plus PCBs, tax, shipping
Minus whatever you can scrounge from your parts stash

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Let Mouser do the math for you, in your local currency. Just click on the "one click" Mouser shopping cart and scroll down to the bottom. That's where Mouser displays the price for the entire shopping cart, which holds ONE board's worth of parts. Double that number if you plan to build a stereo pair. Add your price for Edcors in your country, if you're analyzing a card (Bulwark or Scourge) that includes an Edcor.