simple active crossover

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am thinking about building yet another active crossover. I am debating as to either make steeper slope with feedback or just simple lower slope crossover.
Crossover will be ~150Hz as this is what I was always using so far to power mid/tweeters with classA amp and below that with classAB for woofers. Normal stuff.

I am looking for highest purity of tone, highest clarity for mid and tweeter, so less caps the better, plus I am using open baffle with natural roll off. So 6dB/oct should be plenty.

For woofers, I prefer steeper crossover. Can I just combine both types? Will there be negative consequences for phase or uneven fr response around crossover? Or should I stick to the same slope?

Btw, if you see any obvious mistakes on the schematics, please let me know, I just drew it from other active crossovers I have seen around. Thanks.

Attachments

• cross1.jpeg
    cross1.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,232
  • cross2.jpeg
    cross2.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,233
why reinvent the wheel?
look at Papas 6-24 crossover
DIY biamp 6-24 crossover
I´m aware of that crossover but although its a very cool project, it doesn´t fit my needs so well. There is no such thing as a generic crossover that fits all!
Literally no crossover is a textbook crossover unless you buy textbook-drivers.

And despite, it´s only HP/LP, uses expensive fets. I have open baffle loudspeakers. I need low shelf, dipole equalization and eventually delay and notches.

And how boring is it to not re-invent and to rethink things?
It´s OK if you prefer buying your PCBs and just stupidly solder everything together what somebody else came up with but don´t blame others for doing it differently.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if mixing slopes is no problem, this is what i am going to build

Sometimes mixing slopes is the only way to ensure you get good phase matching :)

in response to why reinvent the wheel? Why not! If it helps you learn something and you get enjoyment from it, then what better reason could there be.

We would never get anything new if everyone just built things that had already been done before :)

Tony.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2002
Paid Member
if mixing slopes is no problem,

I have seen very few crossovers (active or passive) where the slopes and frequencies for any two non-coincident driver combinations is identical. It never works properly if you do that.

VituixCAD allows you to simulate active crossovers by using functional blocks (which you would replace with your circuitry).

I noticed that your schematic does not have any sort of shelving for the baffle step correction, which will be mandatory. Also there is an acoustic offset to be accounted for because of the difference in acoustic centers, which needs to be factored in.

I never buy pcbs or kits, I always try to adapt to my needs liking and simplify to the max

I mentioned the pass crossover only as a starting point

for the open baffle you need a T-bass (search it on this site) compensation crossover, it adds bass to open baffle better than EQ
OK, then I misunderstood your comment which didn´t seem to be all that constructive at first.
And many thanks for the "T-bass" hint. Never even heard of that!
And back to topic please! ;-)