Babelfish ᄅſ....or FW J2 on Steroids .... or Not your Father's J2!

Please forgive me if I am being impolite.

But :
1) Compared to the original with 5 (functional) transistors, is this not a bit complicated ?
2) Is the distortion spectrum still dominantly 2nd harmonics, as in the original measured by Stereophile ?
First Watt J2 power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com
3) Did I miss your comments in how to deal with the positive tempco of the IRFP when used as the driver ?

Real quick building and testing. Will never beat that.

Cheers,
Patrick

as I said , see your self .......

The 2nd and 3rd harmonics are about 86 dB below the the 1 kHz fundamental (1W into 8 Ohm, with Semi South in lower position). This is about 0.005% each, summing to about 0.007% THD. This is quite a bit less than the 0.035% THD(+N) in the Stereophile test (Figure 6). How come? Is this the result of all the Babelfishing? Pretty impressive...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Please forgive me if I am being impolite.

But :
1) Compared to the original with 5 (functional) transistors, is this not a bit complicated ?
2) Is the distortion spectrum still dominantly 2nd harmonics, as in the original measured by Stereophile ?
First Watt J2 power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com
3) Did I miss your comments in how to deal with the positive tempco of the IRFP when used as the driver ?

Real quick building and testing. Will never beat that.

Cheers,
Patrick

I'm never taking as impolite correspondence , which as goal is having sharing of knowledge and helping .... and I'm always trying to learn something

so :

1. as I said in few intention notes in post #1 ,my goals are clear and I pretty much reached them all ;
basic premise is here , number of stages is pretty much the same ( someone is counting current mirrors as stage , follower as stage , while someone is not counting ; I don't care , as long things I'm doing are intentional , not in any way or form patches from necessity
2.yes, with main iteration - all IRFP ; it's easy shaping whichever iteration to have dominant 2nd , simply playing with values of MOX resistors in OS vertical ; even simply removing emiter follower ( shortie in , few resistors and two bjts out) will invoke 2nd ; more current through each LTP Jfet will invoke 2nd etc. .......... but , I'm not interested this time in that , I already made (previous) Babelfish J2 with all SS , having same THD spectra as original ( nature yes , lower in numbers) ; measurements are somewhere around , posted in last few months

repeating these here would just clutter already big number of posted graphs

3.I'm not sure about which IRFP you're asking - lower one ( modulated directly from input) or upper one (part of Mu Follower)?

anyway - upper one is taken care with opto-functional block , lower one is having hefty 235mR in source and rest is taken care with feedback , what else ?
I'm for long time pretty content with Papamps having range of few hundred mV of output offset ( from cold to hot ; that's price of simplicity) , and this one is pretty much benign and well mannered ....... didn't write down but I think it is somewhere around 100mV from cold to hot , while Iq is rock solid

The 2nd and 3rd harmonics are about 86 dB below the the 1 kHz fundamental (1W into 8 Ohm, with Semi South in lower position). This is about 0.005% each, summing to about 0.007% THD. This is quite a bit less than the 0.035% THD(+N) in the Stereophile test (Figure 6). How come? Is this the result of all the Babelfishing? Pretty impressive...

see next few posts and compare somewhat comparable circuits ; saying - more comparable is Babelfish J2 full SS with FW J2 ; B. J2 with SS down is not exactly same beast

reasons for so low THD are multiple - low current through each LTP Jfet (same trick Papa used) so low ΔI as result of input modulation ...... then cascodes ...... then easy load for JFets (CM) .... then emiter follower in front of output gate

not to forget obviously interestingly "opposite'' transfer characteristics of SS down and IRFP up , resulting in THD minimizing

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Babelfish J2 SS both 8R

schematic , except logically Semisouth SJEP120R100 in both output positions, is practically the same as previous one

parts values around opto thingie are optimized to take care of setting same Iq - simple fiddling with trimpot .... and done.

Attachments

• schm right channel Semisouth both.jpg
    schm right channel Semisouth both.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 1,020
  • IMG_20190925_181109.jpg
    IMG_20190925_181109.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_20190925_181129.jpg
    IMG_20190925_181129.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 963
  • IMG_20190925_181139.jpg
    IMG_20190925_181139.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_20190925_181144.jpg
    IMG_20190925_181144.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 989
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Babelfish J2 SS both 8R

graphs

not sweet-spotted , regarding difference 2nd vs. 3rd , but obviously same nature of parts used up and down

as I said - not interesting especially for me , simply because I have more precious parts (than Semisouths) laying around , and I still didn't utilized them

:rofl:

Attachments

• Babelfish J2 SS both Freq. response 8R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both Freq. response 8R.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Babelfish J2 SS both 25W 8R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both 25W 8R.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Babelfish J2 SS both 20W 8R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both 20W 8R.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Babelfish J2 SS both 10W 8R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both 10W 8R.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Babelfish J2 SS both 5W 8R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both 5W 8R.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Babelfish J2 SS both 1W 8R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both 1W 8R.png
    50 KB · Views: 692
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Babelfish J2 SS both 4R

graphs

Attachments

• Babelfish J2 SS both Freq. response 4R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both Freq. response 4R.png
    60 KB · Views: 133
  • Babelfish J2 SS both 20W 4R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both 20W 4R.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Babelfish J2 SS both 10W 4R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both 10W 4R.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Babelfish J2 SS both 5W 4R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both 5W 4R.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Babelfish J2 SS both 1W 4R.png
    Babelfish J2 SS both 1W 4R.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 168
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I enjoyed listening all- IRFP iteration more than 6 hrs today ....... typical (part of) long term test, listening while working :)

finishing my own SissySIT , so pleasure was ..... quadrupled

what can I say , without straining in FiFi vocabulary ....... let's say it as - didn't found sole thing to complain

details , dynamics .... and bass is super-layered ....

:clown: