B1 with Korg Triode

I believe we could make an LTP with the Korg tube(s) if that's what you want,
in fact I think it would be easy using a CCS on the Cathodes.

Wonderful can be interesting experiment with different Nutube sound!
Please Mr. Pass could be possible show us the schematic with more details about CCS for Korg cathodes implementation ?
Ok with 2SK170 BL or J113 ?

Nutube become popular :earth:

Attachments

• 945E5542-E190-4205-9738-966DEBB8CE90.JPG
    945E5542-E190-4205-9738-966DEBB8CE90.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 995
  • 0AC5D88F-4382-4287-9659-6BA56A24234B.JPG
    0AC5D88F-4382-4287-9659-6BA56A24234B.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,027
Just curious on this one. For folks using a regulated linear PSU, how close to 24.0v DC are you? I've built a sigma11 for my B1 Korg, but after testing literally 100 12v zener diodes, closest I can get is 23.8 or 23.9v. I'm sure it will be fine, but wondering what others have observed if they are not using a finely adjustable regulator (LM317, etc) or a wall wart that dials in right at 24.0.

Just curious on this one. For folks using a regulated linear PSU, how close to 24.0v DC are you? I've built a sigma11 for my B1 Korg, but after testing literally 100 12v zener diodes, closest I can get is 23.8 or 23.9v. I'm sure it will be fine, but wondering what others have observed if they are not using a finely adjustable regulator (LM317, etc) or a wall wart that dials in right at 24.0.
I just used one of these prefab ones. I prefer a linear supply if possible. They can be bought used to new on ebay for $30 to $60.

It measured spot on at 24V. The spec on ripple noise was 5mV, but I measured it lower than that at 1-2 mV. The final build is silent as far as I can tell with 88DB sensitive speakers. All of the circuit voltages check out quite close to NP's document.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 904
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 887
I just used one of these prefab ones. I prefer a linear supply if possible. They can be bought used to new on ebay for $30 to $60.

It measured spot on at 24V. The spec on ripple noise was 5mV, but I measured it lower than that at 1-2 mV. The final build is silent as far as I can tell with 88DB sensitive speakers. All of the circuit voltages check out quite close to NP's document.

Neat PSU -- I'll check those out.

I have had really good luck with the sigma11 with my Graham Slee phono stage so I wanted to build another one for my B1/Korg. I love how it fits perfectly into the small Hammond case that Amb recommends, so I don't need to make any changes to my existing B1/Korg build.

I've powered the B1/Korg with a wall wart and a LM317 dialed to 24v. Both sound great, but I've been so happy with the preamp that I figured I'd build a high quality dedicated PSU and be done with it.

Just putting this out here.... I've been having a play with different PSUs and what effect these have on the presentation.

The MeanWell 75-24 smps is great value for money at 12-15UKP and is easy to implement as there's nothing else to think about as a internal/chassis mount PSU. Almost a plug and play.

A MeanWell wall wart device, didn't try this as I couldn't find one in 24v knocking about in my bins. But I did try a lap top computer type PSU, I have a Chinese 24v supply. 10-15UKP Almost a plug and play.

ALW super reg... now getting on in years but always does a good job in the digital domain. But with this or any other stand alone reg you have to factor in the associated raw supply bits, transformer/rectifier/smoothing cap etc. 80-100UKP. Quite a few hours build time, test, setup and install.

SupperTeddy reg... (I know I know they don't measure well) again now getting on in years but has its fans with Naim pre amp circuits. With this or any other stand alone reg you have to factor in the associated raw supply bits, transformer/rectifier/smoothing cap etc. 80-100UKP. + Quite a few hours build time, test, setup and install. next in test..

I have yet to try my Russ White shunt reg. Like the ALW s/reg quite a few hours build time, test, setup and install. Anyone??

A bog standard 317 or preset reg 7824 type....yet to try this also. Has anyone??

This is on going trial as I like to listen for quite some time before changing to a new reg type.

The winner thus far for me is the MeanWell 75-24 the super regs add a softness to the edges which is OK but for me, to soft.

I only did this trial as over the years regs have had a large impact on the end result/presentation. Over these years I've spent loads of mulla and hours of building these various regs some with great success other not so. I'm amazed that this £15 box does all I want (and more) with little effort.

So I set up a raw supply off a 100va transformer 0-22v/rectifier/smoothing cap 10000uf which all the regs used (independently)

After many days/hours of trials with these alterative regs: All evaluated after 24 hours power up.

ALW/Jung super reg
Russ White Shunt reg
Avondale 317 tracking reg
Teddy reg and super teddy reg (I know)
MeanWell RS75-24 smps

The MeanWell RS75-24 comes out in top spot IMO (and others) in this application by quite some margin. All the other regs had a softness to the presentation, too soft, laid back 'limp' sounding as one listener put it compared the MeanWell.

The smps gives life to the music the others regs could not.

Last edited: