B1 with Korg Triode

Dear gentlemen,
Do you think we can improve the sound using a regulated linear power supply by replacing the cheap wall-wart?
Musically, yours.

I've got one of these spare: ULN-PS7 Ultra Low Noise, 6.0A High Current Power Supply for High Quality Audio | eBay

and one of these on order: TTSAS0020 - SUPREME AUDIO grade transformer TSAS20VA - voltage to 50V - Shop Toroidy.pl

Galaxy 2U Case has arrived - Fedex and Italians - they don't hang around!!

I'll let you know how sounds when the transformers and other bits and bobs required come together. :)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi All,
I'm on the finishing straight with my B1 Korg, just about to wire my Alps pot and noticed both pioneer kits have a small pcb, that simplifies the connection of the pot.
Is it possible to purchase one of those?

Yes I can solder wires to pot but I'm recently started soldering again (so not the greatest) but also, I expect to re-wire the whole preamp in six to twelve months once it's working and I'm happy. So it would make it easier.
Thanks,
Damo.

Quote : Do you think we can improve the sound using a regulated linear power supply by replacing the cheap wall-wart?

Search function is your friend. Been there, but didn't find a real improvement, more a matter of taste, admittely starting with a very low ripple wall-wart.

Let us know your findings

Claude

First test

Hello everyone,

I'll want to share my first audio diy experience with you all.

Thanks to mine friend, yesterday afternoon we tested for the first time musically on his Aleph 3 clone (very well built!), The B1 Korg built by me with the basic kit.
My emotion was a lot and my heart was beating fast, raising for the first time in my life the volume of something electronic assembled with my own hands. Ok, I wait again, I check the test points for the umpteenth time: everything ok except T5 and T6 which are both at 0.68V ... in Mr. Pass manual, he wrote 0.6v ... about 12% in more will be a problem:eek::confused:? Wait, I'm still looking for information on the forum ... after 10 minutes of reading I think everything is ok, I proceed, I turn up the volume.
No Umm well:), we hear it coming from absolute silence, Mark Knopfler's fingers plucking the strings of his Gibson guitar, after the voice present in the center in front of everything, everything else is perfectly balanced.
Listening proceeds from jazz to pure percussion, up to female voices ... what's better than Diana Krall ?? Nothing to say, excellent.
We are both very happy and satisfied with the result, we uncork a beer to celebrate the event:cheers:!

I apologize to everyone but this is my first realization and I thank Mr. Pass and all of you members for the help you have given me, to read more than 400 pages (many times ... almost always ... with the help of google translator :eek:...) it wasn't easy for a person like me who remembered only Ohm's law from school about 33 years ago:eek: ...

This was the first test, now I have to complete the construction with the input selector, move the potentiometer to the back of the case and mill the front panel.

I will keep you updated (if this may be of interest) until the end of the construction.

Again thank you very much to all of you!

Mauro

Attachments

• B1Korg010.JPG
    B1Korg010.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 734
  • B1Korg008.JPG
    B1Korg008.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 731
  • B1Korg011.JPG
    B1Korg011.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 716
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hello everyone,

I'll want to share my first audio diy experience with you all.

Thanks to mine friend, yesterday afternoon we tested for the first time musically on his Aleph 3 clone (very well built!), The B1 Korg built by me with the basic kit.
My emotion was a lot and my heart was beating fast, raising for the first time in my life the volume of something electronic assembled with my own hands. Ok, I wait again, I check the test points for the umpteenth time: everything ok except T5 and T6 which are both at 0.68V ... in Mr. Pass manual, he wrote 0.6v ... about 12% in more will be a problem:eek::confused:? Wait, I'm still looking for information on the forum ... after 10 minutes of reading I think everything is ok, I proceed, I turn up the volume.
No Umm well:), we hear it coming from absolute silence, Mark Knopfler's fingers plucking the strings of his Gibson guitar, after the voice present in the center in front of everything, everything else is perfectly balanced.
Listening proceeds from jazz to pure percussion, up to female voices ... what's better than Diana Krall ?? Nothing to say, excellent.
We are both very happy and satisfied with the result, we uncork a beer to celebrate the event:cheers:!

I apologize to everyone but this is my first realization and I thank Mr. Pass and all of you members for the help you have given me, to read more than 400 pages (many times ... almost always ... with the help of google translator :eek:...) it wasn't easy for a person like me who remembered only Ohm's law from school about 33 years ago:eek: ...

This was the first test, now I have to complete the construction with the input selector, move the potentiometer to the back of the case and mill the front panel.

I will keep you updated (if this may be of interest) until the end of the construction.

Again thank you very much to all of you!

Mauro

Congratulations on your build! Enjoy the music!

Really many Thanks ClaudeG, JSA1971 and cubicincher,

correct is "VERY bella macchina ..."

for now I listen to my system with integrated vacum tubes amplifier class A Calypso 120 with Tungsol KT120 tubes, waiting to complete the Aleph 3 finals ... started building about 2 years ago and not finished yet :eek:...
Sorry for the off topics but can someone point me to a thread on the creation of Aleph3? it's a matter of life or death for my new B1 Korg at my house !!
It's late now here, tomorrow morning ... this morning the alarm rings at 6:00 to go to work, good night.

Thank you very much to all,

Mauro

Right now I am running my F5 with a SYS from Shiit which is a passive attenuator really with a knob.
1) What would the replacement of the Sys by the B1 bring up to the F5 ?
2) If I jump in this bandwagon, I'll need two inlets (CD & RIIA) and two outlets for different amps if necessary, F5 & ACA for example. Then I would need all your help for the modification of the standard B1.

Tooppy: I don't have any experience with your first question, but arranging multiple inputs and outputs is very easy to accomplish. Any number of switches will work for the input. You can use a simple dual pole toggle switch for two inputs. If you want more than two, a rotary switch can achieve this for you. For multiple outputs, just put them in series with one another and place a 100R resistor from the first RCA center pin to the second RCA center pin for some isolation between devices.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
2) If I jump in this bandwagon, I'll need two inlets (CD & RIIA) and two outlets for different amps if necessary, F5 & ACA for example. Then I would need all your help for the modification of the standard B1.

Hi tooppy,

for an example on how to do two inputs, you could have a look at the H2 with volume attenuator and input switching that my son and I have recently built:
H2 as a preamp – build documentation – part 1 – chassis preparation

I can help you with the connection scheme, when you're ready.

As for two sets of outputs, I refer to Eric's suggestion in #4109. I can draw the wiring scheme for you as well then.

All the best,
Claas