Sony vFET Illustrated build guide

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This one?

Attachments

• VFET TEST.gif
    VFET TEST.gif
    51.9 KB · Views: 679
Many thanks, I sold some V-fets to someone that I bought years ago from circuitdiy, acronman, along with boards and brackets I had been hoarding and the buyer wants to test the V-fets. I decided to pass them on for what I paid for everything so someone else can enjoy this amplifier.

2mV. My bad. Just a quick feedback if builders have experienced these levels of hum. If not will try different grounding. At the moment the speaker ground wire is connected to the pcb ground or 0- point, not to the ground on the PS. Cannot think of any other obvious change.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will post a pic soon but to my eyes the build does not seem to have any differences to what I have seen posted here or even classic Firstwatt pictures and connections which are very similar.
Though to be sincere the only difference is that I did not connect PS Ground to chassis with any method (ie diodes or thermistors). Only AC ground is connected to chassis for security. So this connection should not be an issue in a ground loop. I see First watt amps are quoted with noise usually around 50 to 100uV.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I chased this for a bit and the solution i found was to go old school. Look back to the A75 where Nelson used two diodes with a resistor across them to chassis ground. This made my units silent where with the CL60 i still had a buzz.

My two cents.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is why we asked for pictures. The transformer is right inside the loop formed by the inputs' ground wires and the ground wires of the PSU (the loop is closed when you connect a source). The mains going to the primary of the transformer are way too close to the audio circuitry, it looks like they're running directly underneath the frontend portion of the pcb. I'm surprised you're not picking up more hum.

I would redo the AC wiring. Turning the bottom plate 180° should give you the correct arrangement of the transformer and the PSU pcb. That way the transformer will be outside of any ground loop. See pictures of First Watt amps for reference.

So you are saying this is an EMF issue acting on the input wires and PSU wires. The funny thing is that I removed the input wires completely and there was no discernible difference in the hum. I also disconnected one channel to check if there was some kind of two channel loop area, as you say, and again no real gains. However your suggestion is easy to implement. In fact I can just distance the whole PSU with some cables and see if EMF is the issue.

Last edited: