Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F6 Illustrated Build Guide
F6 Illustrated Build Guide Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2020, 01:09 PM   #1561
cubicincher is offline cubicincher  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default to AcousticEmotion

I copy from the speech of Mr. Pass about the F6-amp (Burning Amp Festival 2012):

In this circuit, the input Jfets were chosen for Idss at 8 mA or so, but you can get them with Idss up to 20 mA, which times the 23 volt supply will exceed their 0.4 watt rating. Or you might try some other Jfets with higher Idss or higher supply voltages. If you find that you need to degenerate the input Jfets with some resistance, you will find that there is little or noperformance penalty for small resistance values.

You can read the complete text on the FirstWatt-site. Articles - 2012 - F6 Talk at Burning
Amp festival 2012
Greets
Dirk
Old 14th January 2020, 01:23 PM   #1562
laverda is online now laverda  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Another recommend for "alweit" Iv'e had both jfets/MOSfet from the DIY store and alweit over the years and I can't hear/tell any sonic differences between either. My issue (as many in UK/Europe) are the duties and shipping, making the DIYstore items + 50% purchase price and a wait of 4 weeks + for delivery from the USA. Alweit (being based in Israel) shipping is much less and only 7 days for delivery, usually.

Last edited by laverda; 14th January 2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 14th January 2020, 06:32 PM   #1563
Acoustic Emotion is offline Acoustic Emotion  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
Another recommend for "alweit" Iv'e had both jfets/MOSfet from the DIY store and alweit over the years and I can't hear/tell any sonic differences between either. My issue (as many in UK/Europe) are the duties and shipping, making the DIYstore items + 50% purchase price and a wait of 4 weeks + for delivery from the USA. Alweit (being based in Israel) shipping is much less and only 7 days for delivery, usually.
Thatís the reason why Iím thinking about purchasing from Alweit.

I am very thankful that the diyaudio store sells the complete packages, and have ordered all of my F6 parts there. But waiting for 4+ weeks on shipping means playing my music in mono for 4 weeks, so I will order a matched quad at Alweit.

Thanks for your feedback on this, I fully agree.

Koos
Old 14th January 2020, 06:37 PM   #1564
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubicincher View Post
I copy from the speech of Mr. Pass about the F6-amp (Burning Amp Festival 2012):

In this circuit, the input Jfets were chosen for Idss at 8 mA or so, but you can get them with Idss up to 20 mA, which times the 23 volt supply will exceed their 0.4 watt rating. Or you might try some other Jfets with higher Idss or higher supply voltages. If you find that you need to degenerate the input Jfets with some resistance, you will find that there is little or noperformance penalty for small resistance values.

You can read the complete text on the FirstWatt-site. Articles - 2012 - F6 Talk at Burning
Amp festival 2012
Greets
Dirk
Interesting to know, I can get them up to 20mA.

I will order a matched quad close to 8mA, just for the peace of mind. :-)

Thanks for the help!

Koos
Old 14th January 2020, 08:22 PM   #1565
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Do not buy if they are greater than 9mA.
You want them to last the life of the amp (and the life of you) given the state of manufacturing for through hole parts.
Old 14th January 2020, 08:46 PM   #1566
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I have heard very good things about Alweit, I’d order from him without hesitation.
Old 14th January 2020, 10:28 PM   #1567
diyAudio Member

I have been in contact with Alweit (Alex), and he has some limited stock of BL grade. He will send me a matched quad of 2SK170BL/2SJ74BL in the 7 - 8 mA range.

Thanks for all the advise that you guys gave me Without your help I would have been searching for days to find what I found today.

Koos
Old 15th January 2020, 07:23 AM   #1568
laverda is online now laverda  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Emotion View Post
I have been in contact with Alweit (Alex), and he has some limited stock of BL grade. He will send me a matched quad of 2SK170BL/2SJ74BL in the 7 - 8 mA range.

Thanks for all the advise that you guys gave me Without your help I would have been searching for days to find what I found today.

Koos
Old 15th January 2020, 10:56 AM   #1569
ItsAllInMyHead is online now ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to seeing the post re: sweet, sweet music soon. Thanks for sharing your progress.
Old 15th January 2020, 12:12 PM   #1570
Dennis Hui is online now Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

Happy to read that Alweit's able to supply the jfets. Now comes the
hard part of desoldering the old jfets and waiting for the new ones to arrive.

F6 Illustrated Build GuideHide this!Advertise here!