UGS-muse preamp GB

Well, its up to anyone to choose the parts to populate the boards with. If on a budget, then select std components. Want the best, then choose that. Its a free world :)

On my end, for through hole resistors, I will use Yageo MF/MFR, but initially had planed to redesign the boards so I could use Panasonic ERA smt resistors. A component GB could be a hit and miss since there are so many minds wanting to add to the pile of "what's good and not".

For the MUSES chips, a GB makes total sense. We could probably include some other IC's as well... just a thought.

Hi All,
I missed probably the last 5 pages on the forum, I am going to check if anything for me.
Then Fencki I consider this closed now, 2 people did not answered but it is fine, there will be 1~2 spare kit that I am certain will find a buyer.
I am about (in a couple of days, I miss 4 gerbers) to give the updated cost with shipping and everything for each buyer then pay & order.
Shipping cost calculation is done.

Pars could you kindly resend me your gerbers for the encoder to add the costs in?
Also one possible suggestion would be to add on your PCB the hardware debounce components that are not on the control board PCB if we ever move to a dual encoder control of the machine.
I am doing debounce in software but adding the filter does not hurt (2R and 1C).
If not possible then no problem and all will add theses components directly on the pins or not depends on them.

Hi All,
I missed probably the last 5 pages on the forum, I am going to check if anything for me.
Then Fencki I consider this closed now, 2 people did not answered but it is fine, there will be 1~2 spare kit that I am certain will find a buyer.
I am about (in a couple of days, I miss 4 gerbers) to give the updated cost with shipping and everything for each buyer then pay & order.
Shipping cost calculation is done.

Pars could you kindly resend me your gerbers for the encoder to add the costs in?
Also one possible suggestion would be to add on your PCB the hardware debounce components that are not on the control board PCB if we ever move to a dual encoder control of the machine.
I am doing debounce in software but adding the filter does not hurt (2R and 1C).
If not possible then no problem and all will add theses components directly on the pins or not depends on them.

can i suggest an RC filter followed by a schmitt trigger ?

I will leave this to Alex since my controller board is still the prototype version with single display capability using an old firmware not fully featured (the newest firmware won't run on my setup) but I wonder if you cannot already define 2 configs for inputs and outputs to achieve what you are looking for (or close to it) since bypass and output selection are already supported.
There is the menu operation in French (from HCFR):
Menu - UGS _ Muse edition - control.pdf - Google Drive
I don't recall if an English version was made.

We can check this later on Pars but I don't believe it is possible with just a modification of the control software.
You will need to cut track on the PCB and reroute them.

I have been thinking to use for the project transformers from Toroidy.
They have 2 interesting models that can suit our project: audio grade and supreme.
I have sent them an email telling about my interest and also the potential interest from here asking if there is possible any discount if we buy more units.
I have considered that for a preamp we will need 1x9v trafo and 2x 22v trafos each of them with dual secondaries. As VA ratings I have considered 30va and 40va.
My idea was to gather 20 persons here that would want to buy a set of audio grade or supreme trafos so we get to a total of 60pcs and each of us will do the order directly to them so we don’t have to send the trafos to a person and this person redistribute them to the others. I also have told them that a part of us are from europe and the other from the usa.
After sending the email Tomasz replied shortly to me saying that if we order a total of 60pcs(audio grade and supreme) we can get a discount coupon that each of us can use to get a 5% discount on the order but this is valid only from the people living in europe.

Here are the prices for which we will get 5% discount:

Audio grade (potted interior + neoprene mounting pad included):

TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 23,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 23,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 24,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 24,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

Supreme version (potted in the stainless steel box):

TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 64,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 64,70 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 65,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 65,80 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

Supreme version + side wiring plate:

TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 73,50 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS30VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 73,50 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x9V - 74,60 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)
TS40VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x22V - 74,60 EUR / pc (23% VAT tax included)

You can find pictures of the transformers here: https://sklep.toroidy.pl/userdata/public/assets//Transformers grade comparision.jpg

What do you think about this?

Nice transfos, this is the company I used for my UP grade, very good quality.

can i suggest an RC filter followed by a schmitt trigger ?

Ok so here it could be a modification with a couple of flying wires and reusing the filters on the SW1 to SW6 that won't be used if I add another encoder.
So in the end not necessarily needed Pars, let me check in the coming days to find the best approach for the one willing to use later on a dual encoder vs. SW1 to SW6 + an encoder.

To comment on the position of the UGS vs the buffer, it is a matter of taste as Eric was saying and listening tests will tell.
I agree on the other hand that the Muse has enough headroom for the audio signal that should be in any case at 2VRMS unbalanced coming from standards equipment.

We can check this later on Pars but I don't believe it is possible with just a modification of the control software.
You will need to cut track on the PCB and reroute them.

Thanks Alex, and that matches my assumption from looking at the schematics.

That functionality is pretty common in a preamp, but I hadn't seen it mentioned in the homecinema French thread for the Muse preamp (or for the AI version). I could have missed it however.

A dual encoder preamp doesn’t look bad at all

Attachments

• 98FBE086-1F8A-4636-921F-2B8D15E2BB49.png
    98FBE086-1F8A-4636-921F-2B8D15E2BB49.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 437
Thanks Alex, and that matches my assumption from looking at the schematics.

That functionality is pretty common in a preamp, but I hadn't seen it mentioned in the homecinema French thread for the Muse preamp (or for the AI version). I could have missed it however.

You are welcome Chris. One solution could be in your case to add a pair of RCA/XLR L/R mounted on the rear panel and directly wired to the bypass relay input so that they are always connected to the selected input source.

fencki is right, it’s easier for us mortals to solve it with a 2nd encoder than with the push buttons... i mean mechanically. Beside this a bit of symmetry is always pleasant to the eyes :) not to mention that also the main circuit of the preamp is focused around symmetry.

Thanks Alex for accepting this!:santa3:

I am very committed too, I just need my days to be longer than 24h :ashamed:

Anyway I finally have all the Gerbers, requested the quotation and I am about to provide the exact cost to everyone.
From the 70$ first quote without any PSU PCB (options) / encoder PCB neither shipping we are now a bit above 100$ for typically a full kit with 2 additional options (total 18 PCB).
The shipping costs to add vary between 25 to 40$ for EMS 4-5 days according to destination, closer to Taiwan being cheaper.
I need to check the price of the packing material.

I will work on panelization to see if I can optimize more.
You have the overall picture, the full details to come latest this week end and then PayPal time (finally).