Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

Well, motorboating is still there :bawling::(...

I first disconnected completely one channel => no effect
Then I shorted one of the coils in each CM-choke (both that would join to make GND) => no effect
I also tried a higher current version of the chokes => no effect
Finally, I removed both CM-chokes of the channel in test and replaced it by a regular CRC => no effect... :eek:

Attached some pictures, schematic and another sound file in the .zip.
All tests done with only one channel, the other one is disconnected after the bridges.
With everything I tested, it looks like it are the Vfet amps that are motorboating?! Know I have the same issue on both channels (see my long post earlier about a week ago..: Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2 )

Attachments

• CLC.jpg
    CLC.jpg
    917.8 KB · Views: 483
  • CRC.jpg
    CRC.jpg
    914.4 KB · Views: 464
  • CRC2.jpg
    CRC2.jpg
    933 KB · Views: 449
  • Schematic CRC.jpg
    Schematic CRC.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 443
  • LeftRCR.zip
    259.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Perhaps it is a stupid observation, but can't be this motoboating because of those white leads, betweenMOSFETS and VFETS?
(You know, I know nothing about electronics, other than that, electrons will choose the easiest way to flow.)
At least, I don't have them in my amp.
Moreover I must have to say my Pass SONY VFET amps have the least noise, between all of my builds.
My PSU build almost the same, as yours, I think.

Wait a second, I recall something about TL431 instabilities. See https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/276711-sony-vfet-amplifier-2-a-368.html#post5601163 #3673

What is the exact part number of your TL431 and what values are the capacitors around them?

:eek: Oh noooo... Looked it up => still had my packing list from mouser, it is the TL431BILPR I used. Now I also do remember that while I was doing measurements, I found the Vref voltages a bit on the low side. Since others measured in a similar way, I did not pay more attention to it. Don't know if there is a link.

That would mean I need to go through the whole set-up procedure again for both amps.... I need more than one drink right now...

Hallo everyone, thank you for the help and ideas... to cover suggestions & remarks:
Capacitor values and type have been respected: 47uF and 220uF, all Silmic II
The white wires on top are silver plated copper in ptfe, prefered these over stainless steel screws and bolts as conductor. Sleep is better this way. I did cut the traces that became unnecessary to avoid loops.
Left and Right are fully split and grounds are not connected, RCA grounds are insulated from chassis and from each other. Anyway, the problem is still present with only one channel connected and iputs shorted.

So for now I suspect the tl431B I used. I will see if I can tame it by adding some capacitance, although I undestood from Nelson that we need to be carefull not to disrupt the way voltages come up at startup or currents could go wild...

Any other remarks welcome!

Long story short: it works!! (this time without the putputput)

longer story: it were indead the TL431B's... more precisely Q13 and Q14. I could tame it by putting only 100nF over R15 and R16 (reducing gain of the TL431). But as I'm not an expert, I preferred replacing them by other TL431's I had. I did not touch the other two (Q11 and Q12)

Looking for more info, I found this: Simple Voltage Regulators Chapter 2: Output Impedance
=> wouldn't adding these capacitors over R15 and R16 not be an overall improvement to do anyway?!

Thanks all for the support and specially Rodeodave for pointing me in the right direction!!

Somehow I believe more people might have oscillation issues, but are not aware.. My speakers are 93dB and I heard it by accident with my ear against the woofer. I have some scope images I can post later if anyone is interested...