Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The BA-3 as preamp build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2021, 04:30 PM   #2181
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Agree that FT-3 is an awesome cap and also that H2/H3 balance has a much bigger impact on sound. I tried some other boutique caps too and the best sounding for me has been the Auricap. All other caps add something, usually something that is benign, but something is added. Auricap adds nothing and let's the circuit do the talking.
Old 6th September 2021, 06:08 PM   #2182
amandarae is offline amandarae  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorfis View Post
For sure those FT-3 are awesome bypass capacitors - I use them everywhere, where I can fit them. My comment was regarding the "polarity" meaning the orientation of inner and outer foil of the FT-3 cap not being that important, as they are shielded in a metal housing. I wanted to hint at those caps and the shielding topic.
I see. Yes, orientation-wise, I agree with your assessment totally! Years ago, I encountered this exact same predicament regarding Hovland film caps (yellow tubular type with green and red leads). I cannot remember anymore but from what I can recall from the product website, one color is suppose to be connected to the input and the other color to the output of the signal path. I was unable to hear any difference in sound after hours and hours of comparison. I do enjoy the thrill of anticipation to detect any changes in sound however.
Old 6th September 2021, 08:36 PM   #2183
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I am pretty sure I won’t do the comparison thing. It’s just that I want to do it as correct as can be done (all tolerances included).
(Much like cleaning parts legs or putting rn55 with their values visible, although I suspect that doesn‘t improve SQ )
Old 6th September 2021, 09:25 PM   #2184
spryor is offline spryor
diyAudio Member

Greetings! I am about to stuff the board for a second psu to convert my BA-3 preamp to dual mono. I am using Broskie's dual/bipolar psu kit. The new kit I ordered had different caps from the first kit I initially built, so I ordered a couple of vishay caps so the PSUs would match. However, I didn't do my measurements correctly, and the ones I ordered are about 3mm wider than the existing pair. They still fit the PCB, though. How important is it to have exactly the same components in each PSU? I checked the spec sheets and it looks like the only other difference is an ESR of 5.7mOhms vs. 10mOhms. Okay to use the caps I ordered for PSU #2 or should I get the exact same ones as on PSU #1?

Also, following the discussion about the FT-3 bypass with curiosity. Are these what you all are referring to: Russian 0.22uF 600Vdc FT-3 Series Teflon Capacitor ?
Old 6th September 2021, 09:39 PM   #2185
ozorfis is offline ozorfis  Germany
diyAudio Member

With a regulated supply I guess the small differences should not matter.

Yes these are the FT-3 caps we talked about. They come in different sizes and voltages. They are great value for the money. If you want to check out more russian caps the K75-10 is also good value e.g. for speaker crossovers in the midrange.
Old 7th September 2021, 12:33 AM   #2186
spryor is offline spryor
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozorfis View Post
With a regulated supply I guess the small differences should not matter.

Yes these are the FT-3 caps we talked about. They come in different sizes and voltages. They are great value for the money. If you want to check out more russian caps the K75-10 is also good value e.g. for speaker crossovers in the midrange.
Thanks!
Old 8th September 2021, 03:56 PM   #2187
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
It seems to me that this is just proving that creativity is—probably—mostly driven by laziness. (not requiring to swap the cap every time anymore)

As you said, amusing!
Old 8th September 2021, 05:43 PM   #2188
BRN is offline BRN  United States
diyAudio Member

I just need to post that the BA-3 has become my main preamp. It sounds so good with my F2J and Blumenstein Orca full range speakers is so enjoyable to listen to. With my phono as source it sound it is out of this world. My DAC is okay, but the difference between the 2 sources is easily distinguishable.

Bottom line, I was not expecting the difference between my other preamp, that uses tubes, and BA-3 to be that great.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:17 AM   #2189
spryor is offline spryor
diyAudio Member

I just finished stuffing and soldering the second PSU board, and I'm now preparing to reconfigure the layout of my BA3FE in hopes of fitting the second toroid and PSU for dual mono operation. It's going to be a tight fit, but I think it'll work...

My question is about hooking up the mains. I initially built the preamp according to 6L6's build guide, so I have the IEC with fuse on the back panel, which runs to the power switch on the front panel. I'm thinking about rearranging it similar to how I built my dual mono Aleph J: IEC with big fuse > power switch > two small fuses (one for each toroid) > terminal block > transformer primaries. Will that work?

If that arrangement will work, should I use thermistors and safety caps on the terminal blocks like for the mains hookups in the FW amps? And, of course, if there's a better arrangement or approach for wiring the mains, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
Old 15th September 2021, 01:45 PM   #2190
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

Should work just fine.

I don't see the need for a soft start or the caps, assuming you're using reasonably-sized toroids.

The BA-3 as preamp build guideHide this!Advertise here!