Aleph J illustrated build guide

A bit of humour is nescessary for us village idiots.

Back to topic, looks like I have to chase the ripple. I am sure it is there. But my Flukes don’t see it. Scope next. Expected 5-20mV. But no AC measured at rails, and absolutely nothing at outputs (this was expected/a hope. Hope it stays this way after the PSU gets into the chassis and wiring is done.

Btw: R23@27k maxes IQ at 1A7 / 40 watts per device dissipation with devices @ approx 4V2 Vgs. Weakling stuff. Should have never made that change, thinking a moron GH would know better than Mighty son of Zardoz himself. Back to stock value next. Or do I dare?

Btw. An extremely stable circuit. A joy to adjust.

Good for me, since the PSU is so big I will have major trouble adjusting once mounted. Need special tool I think. Proper tools like myself need proper tools.

Attachments

• C392871F-3B26-41F0-9A98-5EFF7314774E.jpeg
    C392871F-3B26-41F0-9A98-5EFF7314774E.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 4AEE7E90-FCFC-4E06-AA21-73D148FC0531.jpeg
    4AEE7E90-FCFC-4E06-AA21-73D148FC0531.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
On their way :rofl:

Thats what 0F2 and 10mH per rail in dual mono config will do, apparently. I’ll send the Flukes anywz :devily:

Edit: thanks for all the help choosing/verifying/making me think in choosing parts and setting this baby up. The Internet is a wonderful thing for village idiots.

Last edited:
OK, heat is that much that NTC will melt IEC in few decades or so, but it makes me cringe even thinking of soldering it directly to IEC

ZM's OCD or what, but cringing is it

:devily:

I was carefully considering the same thing - heat. But, the way I mounted it is high, away from the bottom plate. So there is a fair amount of air circulating around. Also, the IEC RF filter is shielded with a thick aluminium alloy that is a good heat conductor. And... I checked the IEC RF filter case temperature, right next to the NTC - it is cold. So, it will work okay, no heat worries of any kind.

That cute face should never cringe... that creates face lines and premature aging.

Hey:)
What do you all think/say/know about the IEC inlets with filtering?

Is it any sonic benefits with them compared to the standard plastic type with the simple safety cap filtering?

What brand/type is in that case the recommended brand/size/type for an Aleph J?

IEC mains noise filter teardown and explanation - Schaffner FN261S-6-06-10 - YouTube

Ok, this is a question of trade-offs...

Good: Have a look at the photo I attached. This IEC solution requires a plethora of wire links and lugs. I do not like that because I know that sounds terrible. So, the RF IEC filter is a good trade-off, especially if you solder the NTC and the transformer primary wiring like I did. The wiring length is minimised and there are NO connections/contacts anywhere to be seen :)

Bad: The RF filters sound like... a filter. In my opinion, they rob the sound of raw attack and slam. HOWEVER, they do lower the noise floor, which is good for the black background, separation and high frequencies. It may work for you, in your system and in your listening room.

Think about the above... try different options.....decide for yourself... :)

Attachments

• IEC Input.JPG
    IEC Input.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 152
They weren’t L to begin with. I clamped them, and hand bent them. Then I had to move the angle, so had to use a hammer. Some more pics and info about brand was posted mid September in this thread. If you start on September 15th and browse forward, you should find what you need. Basically a normal bracket from a hardware store, fitting needed height and width, and solidity.

Thanks for asking! Works very well. ZM is the mastermind behind mounting them from under the UMS bottom plate. And also, holes are 10mm apart, meaning perfect for UMS :)

Edit: Post #7487 :)

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
when I can find L bracket in dimensions I need, I take it, cutting to dimension I need

when I can't, I'm taking flat piece, bend it and cut to dimension I need

I did bending both in (huge) vice, hammering ...... but I also have friend having huge bender, always eager for coffee and glass of chat

in fact, some things I need to make, I'm deliberately bringing to his place, way of spending some time with friend

in fact, I have small bender, but why bother ...... :)

Ben’s alternative is even more sturdy too, can take nuclear blast.

I just did it that way because I came across the brackets @ 2 dollars a pop, walking through a hardware store. Thought what the heck, found a hammer to make a prototype. Then hammered it to final iteration, knowing loss would be no greater than 2 dollars. And there we are.

Dennis you saying I am immortal? Nice. No longer a need to invest in that solder fume fan I’ve been planning on buying for some time :rofl:

when I can find L bracket in dimensions I need, I take it, cutting to dimension I need

when I can't, I'm taking flat piece, bend it and cut to dimension I need

I did bending both in (huge) vice, hammering ...... but I also have friend having huge bender, always eager for coffee and glass of chat

in fact, some things I need to make, I'm deliberately bringing to his place, way of spending some time with friend

in fact, I have small bender, but why bother ...... :)

šljiva? :devily: