Aleph J illustrated build guide

One channel good; one channel bad

I pulled out my F4 boards and put in these ZM Aleph J PCBs. Left channel sounds great; right channel has a DC offset minimum of 517 mV. I've only connected the left channel to speakers of course. Bias for both channels is about 430 mV, which I'll probably drop to about 375 whenever I get the DC offset problem sussed out.

Enjoy my fine photography!

9q901nU.jpg

jXuqtk2.jpg

qihQo8Z.jpg

8mENHE4.jpg

The SE short has a tiny bit of red insulation on it--not a diode or anything.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
positive offset means lower mosfet not open enough, asking for more ohms in input JFet drain (trimpot)

if you decrease Iq, fiddling with other trimpot, offset would also go down

write what you get

present Iq (430mV@0R27=1A59) is fine, if you can cool it

confirm that you have proper Ig through LTP (same reading at both channels across R13, expect something as 8V7)

if that is the case ( and you did your setting with inputs grounded, no load at output) , you can slightly increase R9 ; back up with TP1, increase R9 to 1K

Attachments

• Aleph J for DiyA schmtc.png
    Aleph J for DiyA schmtc.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 189
DC offset was -592 mV, not positive as I originally described it.

8.5V across R13. 8.2V on the "good" channel.

Reduced bias to 1.37A (370mV). Reflowed solder on R9 and a couple of other connections. No change in DC offset, 580mV plus (trim pot ~middle value).

I guess the next step is to try a 1K resistor at R9 . . .

Interesting. Asking for learning purposes, differing currents between J1 and J2 affects output stage, meaning offset/bias, hence poorly matched JFETs can nescessitate altering resistor values?

If so, what about widely varying Vgs between output devices? Say one MOSFET @ 3V9 and one @ 4V3?

Maybe stupid questions, but you know village idiots need to ask.

Regards,
Andy

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
regarding ease of settings, same performance of both channels , it goes:

-first thing is having simillar currents through LTP in both channels - matter of small BC556 in CCS

-second thing is JFets matching

-third thing is mosfet matching

in praxis , only second thing important; only in case of Gremlins choosing mentioned parts from diametrically opposed ends of pool, you can expect difference in channels gain

and even then, exchange few parts between channels, and you're good

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hey ZM, they were the standard diyaudiostore.com JFETs, if that's what you're asking. I assumed they were matched; the MOSFETs I matched myself out of a rack of 25 + 4 more.

JFets, OK

matching mosfets ....... that was exactly mistake you make ...... this Aleph J is advertised as "no matching needed!! (except JFets)"

:clown:

is it singing already?