Aleph J illustrated build guide

I spoke with my father-in-law about this at length. He’s a long retired electrical engineer who worked in audio. He’s calling it for a noisy transformer. He agrees with the test procedure I discussed with Pechelman, except he says I don’t need to connect the grounds. When I can get some baby-free time I’ll try it and report back. I’m not sure what Antek will do if it turns out to be noisy laminations. I’ll let you know. I’d buy Plitron instead, except they don’t sell to DIY any more. Maybe the store can order a batch of the most common Pass (and other) transformer values and sell to forum enthusiasts. That might work particularly if they pre-sell some like the kits. Thanks

I had a friend modify the mounting plate that i purchased from Toroidy. Ill see if i can dig up the pc

Attachments

• 79FEE8FE-2BF7-4583-9B15-1E07A3136D0B.jpeg
    79FEE8FE-2BF7-4583-9B15-1E07A3136D0B.jpeg
    910.2 KB · Views: 360
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I spoke with my father-in-law about this at length. He’s a long retired electrical engineer who worked in audio. He’s calling it for a noisy transformer. He agrees with the test procedure I discussed with Pechelman, except he says I don’t need to connect the grounds. When I can get some baby-free time I’ll try it and report back. I’m not sure what Antek will do if it turns out to be noisy laminations. I’ll let you know. I’d buy Plitron instead, except they don’t sell to DIY any more. Maybe the store can order a batch of the most common Pass (and other) transformer values and sell to forum enthusiasts. That might work particularly if they pre-sell some like the kits. Thanks

Antek sent me a new transformer when I had a similar issue. Their service is excellent. That said, they’ll certainly suggest a few standard things it could be before agreeing to the return.

Last edited:
I am going to order all the parts now in stock for the Aleph J finally. I have built the M2x and it is fantastic no complaints this is a curiosity build since there is so much talk about this amp. My question is the BOM that is posted in the store the one to follow or is there some updates to be aware of when I place order to get the remaining components from Mouser?Thanks

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The BOM linked on the store page (Rev C):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...j-universal-mounting-spec-bom-aleph-j-ums.pdf

The BOM linked from page 1 of build guide (Rev D):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...j-universal-mounting-spec-bom-aleph-j-ums.pdf

As far as I can see the diff is around parts for setting the front end current source.
Personally I would use the simplified setup (without any pots there): R8=1K fixed,
R6=R30=jumper, as in the original schematics ( post #63 here: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/111197-aleph-schematic-7.html#post1343785)

I am going to order all the parts now in stock for the Aleph J finally. I have built the M2x and it is fantastic no complaints this is a curiosity build since there is so much talk about this amp. My question is the BOM that is posted in the store the one to follow or is there some updates to be aware of when I place order to get the remaining components from Mouser?Thanks

Perhaps obvious, but note that the BOM does not include power supply parts.