A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

Joined 2009
Paid Member
My F4 is just about completed and has the following readings:-

P/S +- 24.5vdc
Source resistor voltage 218mv both channels
Offset less than a mv but fluctuates slightly
Heatsinks are at 36C after 90 mins.

When I power down the output offset goes up to 225mv and slowly drops down.Is ok or do I have a problem?

nervous shut down

Hello All,

Has anyone an explanation for the following:

Did a bulb test=OK
Removed bulb tester.
Took initial readings across 0R47 resistors (both channels) of about 350mV (0mV offset :)
Shut it down.
Turned down pots two turns each.

Then one channel stabilized at 300mV while the other just kept on dropping! I shut it down when the second channel hit 170mV because I thought something might be failing. Am I right to be nervous?

No smoke but strange behavior...

Thanks guys.

This time I got a runaway bias that shot up to one volt across the single channel I attempted to bias.

And there was smoke.

So...

I tear down the whole thing and see what foolishness I concocted.:headshot:

This was my third "First Watt" build and I'll be danged if I have a clue what when wrong. I'll report back in a few months...

Beer and pictures

Well the beers did help...and hush my mouth, there may be a picture that helps.

Center MOSFET with the melty surface and writing burned off...

Must have just been a bad apple?

I can find no error in the build or wiring that would explain the readings and smoke :mad:

Attachments

• burned MOSFET F4.jpg
    burned MOSFET F4.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 518
I used mica and thermal grease, whiped down my mounting surface and applied the grease with my fingers to both sides of the mica to insure coverage and to look for impurities/metal. I don't think there was any contact between the MOSFET and the heat sink.

But it sure is what it looks like!

I'll inspect everything with a magnifier and report any findings.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Yes, I exercised great caution in tightening them, reading the spec sheet for torque, experiencing what inch - pounds feel like by putting a screwdriver into a torque wrench, and tightening them a little at a time across all MOSFETs until they matched.

I have contacted h_a about a replacement ((numbers are still on the remaining MOSFETs) but understand I may have to buy a new trio.

I only have skills for checking MOSFETs with a diode checker; can you point me to an article for gaining more skills in this?

It took me 5 months to build so I am being patient. I can spend a little more time, no problem. :eek: