Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2018, 04:04 PM   #6091
futuromat is offline futuromat  Germany
diyAudio Member

thx much! Dankeschön
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:33 PM   #6092
oc11 is offline oc11  United States
diyAudio Member

Checked the datasheets for the Mean Well RS150-24 and the Mean Well GST120A-24 (the GST is included in the kit). The RS150 has a higher current rating of 6.5 A, a lower max ripple, and better voltage tolerance, line regulation, and load regulation specs than the GST. It also should run cooler because the enclosure is perforated metal, not a solid wall enclosure like the GST's. That said, the RS150-24 presents multiple installation options while the GST is a simple one output package which should be easier to handle for builders with little experience. Both PSUs appear very good. If the current provided by the PSU is not a major problem with ACA 1.6, there are 48v models available for both the GST and the RS150 Mean Well PSU lines for possible upgrades. Extreme Boky please let us know if or when you decide to up power your build just to see what happens. I would be interested in knowing is this is feasible.
Old 24th September 2018, 02:33 AM   #6093
rnjorge is offline rnjorge  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would be interested in knowing is this is feasible.
It is. I am powering my ACAs (1.5 ? Version) with one 24V 5A SMPS per channel placed inside the (somewhat larger) chassis with absolutely no noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180916_133749.jpg (879.1 KB, 425 views)
Old 24th September 2018, 03:13 AM   #6094
RafaPolit is online now RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Well, 24V x 2 (one per per channel) still results in 24V delivered to the ACA. A 48V would require some modifications... assuming the JFEts can even take that voltage, would JFEts and MOSFETs still be in their 'good region' when the circuit is BIASSED at 24V? (If not biased at half voltage there is asymmetry on the output, I think).

That is assuming you have enough heat dissipation to actually work without starting a fire!

I believe an experiment like this would have to be done by someone that really knows about circuits and stuff. I would not recommend a newby trying to double the voltage and expect more power! Please be careful!

Rafa.

Last edited by RafaPolit; 24th September 2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 24th September 2018, 03:28 AM   #6095
diyAudio Member

Rafa, you are correct of course. That person is not me either, and yes it may require larger heat sinks.
Old 24th September 2018, 04:58 PM   #6096
diyAudio Member

rnjorge, nice. Are you using the RS150-24s or something else?
Old 24th September 2018, 05:41 PM   #6097
rnjorge is offline rnjorge  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Some generic low cost that I had. Tried them on to test the ACA with 24V (my kit came with the 19V ones) and there they stayed. A linear PSU was noisier (transformer saturation, maybe?) so I'll keep the SMPS for the moment.
Old 26th September 2018, 12:50 AM   #6098
semmyroundel is offline semmyroundel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi all, I'm still confused despite Rafa's excellent answer about doubling the power.
Let's see if I've got this right, my goal is to get 15wpc with a stereo output.
On the build guide, at step 55 it mentions a Y lead and a photograph that needs to be loaded up, is this the configuration to get 15wpc with stereo RCA inputs?
All this talk about monoblock and XLR's is confusing, I just want more power to drive my average sensitivity speakers (86db) a little louder through a regular stereo input.
There is another problem, I don't use a pre amp, on other builds, i've simply added a selector switch to distinguish between inputs, and an Alps pot for volume, worked just fine for me, however they were single stereo amps, if I bridge 2 ACA's where would I install the potentiometer to control volume?
Old 26th September 2018, 12:51 AM   #6099
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by semmyroundel View Post
Let's see if I've got this right, my goal is to get 15wpc with a stereo output.
Not possible from one amplifier.

You need two amps and wire them for bridged operation.
Old 26th September 2018, 12:58 AM   #6100
semmyroundel is offline semmyroundel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Not possible from one amplifier.

You need two amps and wire them for bridged operation.
Thanks 6L6, I did understand that I'd have to wire them for bridged operation, but how to, the photos on the build guide don't appear to show the configuration that I want. There's still the issue about volume control.
On another note, one of the two sets of speakers I'd earmarked to be used with this amp is rated from 15-100 wpc.
Does this mean that if I opt just to build the regular stereo configuration at 8w that I might do damage to the speaker?

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!