Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
BF8662 is an SMD part, correct? Probably not a good substitute for newbie building ACA as first project.

I just started building with smd and now really like it and I am a newbie. I glue the smd parts to paper and foil on top of foam core then do point to point deadbug wiring with magnifying goggles and very small short pieces of wire. You can make everything very small and runs of wire are short. Once I did this and then tried soldering smd to a real smd pcb with fat solder pads it was childsplay compared to deadbugging it and fast. Faster than thru hole components because you only work on one side and don't have to keep flipping board back and forth, no threading leads thru holes, no clipping excess wire. It's quite fast actually. I have embraced it and like it. The challenge of the miniature is somewhat satisfying...

OT. EWB Ver.5 worked on Win98 and XP in 98 mode. Time I stepped up to LT Spice. Is there some similar freeware (to EWB) which is more user friendly and Win7 compatible? Thanks.

I just stumbled across a free program from TI that might be useful. I'm sure there are some on the forum who are familiar with its capabilities. I'm running it on W7 64. Looks rather complete at first glance.

TINA-TI

Hello- Sorry for the newb post. I have a set of boards and ordered the heatsinks and power supplies today (Marlin P Jones is cheap!). I'm going to place an order from Digikey for the parts but I'm stuck on where to locate Q4. I can't seem to locate LSK170. I can find various incarnations (A, B, C, etc.) but am unsure if they are direct replacements or different specs? Is there a cheap, reliable, US retailer that I could buy these from? Is matching them really critical or can I order just two and call it a day? If links to suppliers in the forums is not allowed, please send me a PM. If this has already been answered, I apologize. Thanks in advance to any and all responses.

xrk971 said he bought from Linear Systems direct. Linear Systems || Home. FET Audio | Hi-End Audio Projects is in Hong Kong is from a member Spencer and can be trusted for the original Toshiba parts. Also, NP offers the following substitutes

I don't see any issues with J111, J112, BF862.

This is not a very critical part.

:cool:

I am working from home today - I usually work in downtown Boston, check the news. :eek:. Listening to di.fm Cosmic Downtempo on my PC. PC->mAudio 2496 Sound card->ACA->Zaph-Audio ZA5 speakers. Huge smile on my face - awesome office system. I am considering an ODAC to replace my sound card but not sure I could really improve upon my setup.

I just stumbled across a free program from TI that might be useful. I'm sure there are some on the forum who are familiar with its capabilities. I'm running it on W7 64. Looks rather complete at first glance.

TINA-TI

thanks for the link bob! set it up last night and drew the ACA schematic - pretty painless for a noob like me, will go through the doco to find out how to use the built in function generator and oscilloscope. As a sim, more than likely will not be accurate, but a great learning tool. Had to substitute parts for the k170 and ztx450... cheers.

I ordered parts for this amp recently, and ordered this instead-
W21-R68JI TT Electronics/Welwyn | 985-1096-1-ND | DigiKey
(I ordered the same type for the 0.47 also, just to make it look good)
I can't imagine this part will work any different than the one recommended.

I also ordered J111's so i could keep everything on one order (note J111 has different pinout, gate is not middle pin).

I'm still building, using a mix of breadboard, wire, over sized cpu heatsink, and whatever else I have on hand besides the ordered parts from digikey- Index of /~henryvm/aca