An illustrated guide to building an F5

Joined 2012
Paid Member
The light bulb test is probably a false positive. The light bulb glows brightly at a high current. If you have set the bias up properly, that current draw is high enough to light the bulb up. The light bulb test only works when then bias is set to a smaller amount.

If the boards were set to their proper bias successfully and ran with no issue for hours, they should be okay.

If you are still worried, you can turn the pots back to the start and check with the lightbulb again.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The light bulb test is probably a false positive. The light bulb glows brightly at a high current. If you have set the bias up properly, that current draw is high enough to light the bulb up. The light bulb test only works when then bias is set to a smaller amount.

If the boards were set to their proper bias successfully and ran with no issue for hours, they should be okay.

If you are still worried, you can turn the pots back to the start and check with the lightbulb again.

Ok. I was hoping that was the issue. Yes both sides were working before I reassembled everything.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Good catch! Those definitely should be 10 ohms.

@Chiptech: I think you need to change R3 and R4 to the proper value. Unfortunately you'll need to reset P1 and P2 to min value before powering up and biasing again.

I see what I did. I wanted to up the resistors to 2W, but ordered the wrong one.

Thanks to camarillo for sorting this out.

I will replace them, reset P1 & P2 and redo the biasing.

I should be a pro at this when i get done.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Connecting a REL sub to the F5

One week and going strong. I'm going to check the measurements later today.

I just got a REL sub and see attached for their recommended hook up to an amplifier.

I assume it will work fine with F5, but wanted to get some review on their approach.

I don't want to mess up my baby.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2020-10-29_11-57-49.png
    2020-10-29_11-57-49.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 177