An illustrated guide to building an F5

Pass uses one CL60 for each 110/120Vac primary.

If you are on a 220/240Vac supply you would get the same soft start limiting effect by using two CL60 in series for a 220/240Vac primary.

You have to decide what level of limiting you require to allow your close rated mains fuse to survive repeated cold starts.

Help on the wire twists and eventual grounding problems

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

my rca in wire is solid coper from ethernet cable, twisted with isolation. same lenght. is it ok?

my v+(yellow)/v-(purple)/gnd (black) is stranded coper and i tried to twist them on one channel only to have your opinion. (GND wire is thicker)

i Have the transformer secondaries twisted...don't know if i have to do it or not...just in case.

My output (speaker) wire is not soldered because i don't know if i must get the GND from the amp pcb or from the PSU to the Speaker.

thank you

sorry for the pic orientation - can't make it right

Last edited:
I think it is much better to take the power leads to connector blocks then to the Amp boards. That way it is simple to isolate each board to do initial bias and set up.

At first switch on you do not want to be looking at both boards.
Un-soldering wires is a pain!

Mine has no hum or noise.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    365.7 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
So, the bias procedure was nice and smooth. i have little voltage flutuation. Don't know if this is ok. i am very happy with the sound. I just have two questions:

1- i have hum (i think from the toroid) but it is only audible when i have my ear 1 inch close to the speaker. if i lean back and stay 5 inch close its almost inaudible. At my seat i don't hear anything. Advice needed if you encounter anything wrong in my build. picture attached.

2- I have my P3 pots at middle point but i want to really understand whats going on in terms of THD in my amp. I don't have the gear to measure this but i saw people adjusting the amp to the 2nd or 3rd order harmonic with computer gear and software. I just don't know what to use here and how can i interpretate the results. I saw the video that 6L6 posted but that is with proper gear. Maybe with some help i could make a guide and share it with the community. the information is everywhere but it's really dificult to articulate it without the knowledge needed. Sorry for bothering you all.

have a nice day

Joca

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Last edited: