New full diff amp OPA1637

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
TI continues to surprise us with top notch products. After the OPA1656 I 'discovered' the OPA1637. A fully differential amplifier with excellent audio specs.
Ordered the eval module to get a head start*. I can see several places where this would fit very well, like fully balanced post-DAC filtering and/or I/V conversion, fully balanced preamps, fully balanced active filters/xovers. And, my own target, an improved fully balanced AutoRanger.

Anybody here with similar ideas?

Jan

*If the international shipping system holds up, hopefully.

Same pinout as OPA1632, it seems, but a less hot input stage with added input bias current cancellation (no biggie in a true balanced application). This part would be intended for more normal surrounding impedances. You could use it in a fully balanced phono preamp, I guess, but the duplicated RIAA network in these is always a nuisance.

We're not exactly drowning in these fully-differential parts, so any new type is welcome I guess.

BTW, I never noticed that OPA1632 specs do not really add up. 2 µA of input bias current (typ) but only 0.4 pA/√(Hz) of input current noise? You'd get 0.8 from shot noise alone. (Besides, even the lowest-noise bipolar opamps do not manage en * in substantially below 1. OPA1632 specs would indicate 0.6!) OPA1637 specs look way more realistic.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Got some time to check out the OPA1637 EVM. Some EVMs have 0 ohm output isolation resistors in R4, R7 positions. The latest units will have small non-zero resistors there to guarantee stability with cap loads. In case you do see oscillations, check that these resistors are non-zero.

But, with that, the performance is absolutely stellar, see attached. Measured via a balanced twin-tee, down in the AP noise floor ...
And this is with a gain of 5, so for unity gain expect at least 10dB lower yet!

Jan

Attachments

• OPA1637 via bal twin-tee.PNG
    OPA1637 via bal twin-tee.PNG
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,634
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That THP210 is typically meant for battery/low power systems. The supply current is just 0.95mA, but the trade-offs are also visible: GBW less than 10MHz, slew rate 'just' 15V/uS.

So these are two different products, for different target applications. But it may be a nice candidate for a differential servo ;-) .

Jan

So ?

How does it compare to the OPA1632 ?

Is it meant to replace it or...?

I must confess I'm confused with TI's nomenclature and op-amp marketing... EDIT : even more so when it seems THP210 is the SAME part but with better input offset voltage ? Because it's not a "Burr-Brown Audio" part but sorted in the Precision Op-amps range ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.