Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

How to identify fake JFETs?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2019, 11:31 PM   #21
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
I'm wondering if anybody can advise me what tests I can do to determine whether a parcel of 500x 2SK170s I bought from a supposedly reputable source ... are genuine ... or fake.

Thanks,
Andy
if they came from eBay or equivalent and especially from China, very likely they’re fake
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 8th June 2019, 11:07 AM   #22
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsonic View Post
Sometimes fakes are damn good and close to original specs, even outside dimensions are within specifications. Measuring only Idss is not enough.
o2SK170 = original Toshiba
f2SK170 = fake
I would not call that fake, the difference is within typical fab spreads, let alone any official second source
The noise measuremnet would be interesting
Old 8th June 2019, 12:25 PM   #23
kamis is offline kamis  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Take a look at the top of TO92 package. Real Toshiba fets and bipolars have a 2mm wide line in center. If it is shorter line at the side, transistor is fake.
Old 10th June 2019, 04:57 AM   #24
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamis View Post
Take a look at the top of TO92 package. Real Toshiba fets and bipolars have a 2mm wide line in center. If it is shorter line at the side, transistor is fake.
Brilliant, kamis!

Yes, the few genuine Toshiba 2SK170s I have, all have this thin raised line on top, in the centre, about 2mm long.

Whereas all the "suspect fake" ones I have ... have a line which is:
a. at the side - not in the centre, and
b. 1m long, max!

So I think this confirms they are fakes!

Andy
Old 10th June 2019, 05:49 AM   #25
meanie is offline meanie  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I bought a brand new Marantz CD63SE player in the late 90's, it had been in storage till i recently brought it out to mod, while bypassing the HDAM circuit, i accidentally found 2 pairs of J74/K174 Jfets (V grade) in the circuit.
But the issue was they looked fakes, with straight 7 printings.

How can Marantz do that ? or are these really fakes ? Or are there another licensed OEM Jfets makers during the 90's ?

I m still confused !

Anyone doing this HDAM bypass mod please verify too.
Old 10th June 2019, 06:10 AM   #26
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

So what makes you think that a professional company the size of Marantz would not have a proper purchasing and incoming QC department ?
And why would they not purchase their components directly from the manufacturer or their official distributors ?

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 10th June 2019, 12:07 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I totally agreed with you, that's why i m so puzzled by what i extracted out of their flagship cd player model in that era.

I believed CD67SE also have the same Jfets used in their HDAM circuits.
To get to the bottom of this, i encourage others whom are going to remove the HDAM in these CD players to take some pictures or video and share.
Old 10th June 2019, 12:29 PM   #28
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

To get to the bottom of this, YOU can do the simple measurements suggested by PMA in #post 9.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 10th June 2019, 12:35 PM   #29
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
To get to the bottom of this, YOU can do the simple measurements suggested by PMA in #post 9.

Cheers,
Patrick
And yet, Patrick, 'Stormsonic' in post 19 showed that measurements of fake units can actually be pretty close to genuine ones.

Andy
Old 10th June 2019, 12:40 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

When i bought new then, my Marantz cd player sings well all those years, after which its laser suddenly can't read any disc and retired into my storeroom till recently...

I can do that for testing the Jfets taken out of the cd player, but that's not my point, i was hoping that someone with those Marantz flagship cd players in those era, to take a real look of what Jfets are in their set visually first, then idss and pinch test follows later.

Just to prove that whether they do came in with the straight 7 printing in another set or not.

How to identify fake JFETs?Hide this!Advertise here!