Fake ELNA LAO 10000uf/80V from E-Bay seller

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Digikey and Mouser here in the U.S. are reliable sources for Vishay, Elna, Panasonic and many other brands - I frankly would not take the risk on eBay..

I checked the latest Elna product catalog sheets for Elna LAO series caps

http://www.elna.co.jp/en/capacitor/alumi/catalog/pdf/lao_e.pdf

And find no such thing as 10,000 uF caps with voltage ratings > 35 volts.

Is it possible that people are setting themselves up to be cheated by demanding parts that Elna does not even have in their catalog,or is there a catalog listing some place else?

Check post #7 of this thread, it was already noted. However, looking around at the different Elna series, it doesn't seem that the LAO-series is the only series that are pitched at "audio" usage.

Then, based on the available evidence any LAO 10,000 uF 80 volt cap has to be fraudulent because Elna doesn't make any such thing.

The Elna caps I've seen are labelled with the series name. The LA5 series seem to have these markings, but the alleged LA0 pix I've seen do not.

Is it possible that audiophiles invented this part in their minds and the people who are selling them are just selling a dream?

Then, based on the available evidence any LAO 10,000 uF 80 volt cap has to be fraudulent because Elna doesn't make any such thing.

The Elna caps I've seen are labelled with the series name. The LA5 series seem to have these markings, but the alleged LA0 pix I've seen do not.

Is it possible that audiophiles invented this part in their minds and the people who are selling them are just selling a dream?

Is it possible they are an old series? I recall a while back a seller being accused of selling fakes for this very reason. It turned out they were an old style that was no longer made, data sheets only showed new models not old.
Paraphrasing Garobela here, if the deals too good to be true, its a fake:)

Any 10 000uF Elna for Audio under $10 is definitely fake. Not to talk they offer free shipping

I meant cut the plastic from the top, 95% sure not even a product from Elna
Cheap industrial type caps re heat shirked- take a look at the latters of my caps.

The original made in Thailand and has no plastic on the top, also it has the Elna symbol.

Yes, I already showed the caps "sharpseller2000" sent me and show them here again.

On one I have cut the plastic on the top!! to see if it's a genuine elna....:eek:

I found a site (pic 6) with typical top and bottom can pattern, and according to this it is a Nichicon or another no-name chinese cheap stuff.

JohanB

Attachments

• FakeElna 001.jpg
    FakeElna 001.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 806
  • FakeElna 002.jpg
    FakeElna 002.jpg
    765.8 KB · Views: 744
  • FakeElna 003.jpg
    FakeElna 003.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 708
  • FakeElna 004.jpg
    FakeElna 004.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 702
  • FakeElna 005.jpg
    FakeElna 005.jpg
    729.2 KB · Views: 699
  • type-capacitors.jpg
    type-capacitors.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 516
i have bought stk unit from same seller to repair old amp, was probably fake cous had too much distortion ,he sent another as replacement, this time it was original but with one channel burnt.

for capacitors buying on ebay i always buy from seller named capacitor12, havent been testing with measurments capacitors but had originals removed from amp so visualy caps were always exactly the same and measured correct capacitance as i dont have means to test further from capacitance.

On another sellers site, I found these pictures of an claimed to be original ELNA LAO capacitor box from Thailand, so maybe they exist....?

The reality is that some seller advertise knowingly original capacitors (at least at picture) and they ship something different.
In my case that is what happened. Yes the seller knew what he is doing. He also asked me to get the refund not to leave negative feedback or write about the product originality.
I don't know if a group of people would complain at Ebay after Ebay will let them to sell those junk caps.
Just a thought..

I think its reasonable to say that they are fake at this point.. I wonder if they could handle the "rated" voltage hehe. Someone dare to test them out?
I bought mine thinking that they were probably fake but I just needed some cheapos for 21V duty and these fit the bill nicely. I use mine for a CLC filter and they work good enough for my application. Just to bad they are fooling people into thinking these are good for high voltage audio use. I wouldn't be around when one of them goes boom!

The reality is that some seller advertise knowingly original capacitors (at least at picture) and they ship something different.
In my case that is what happened. Yes the seller knew what he is doing. He also asked me to get the refund not to leave negative feedback or write about the product originality.
I don't know if a group of people would complain at Ebay after Ebay will let them to sell those junk caps.
Just a thought..

Yes that's my experiance too. As you say, the sellers must know they are shipping other items than described. It's strange not so many people are complaining about this. According to E-Bays records, some have sold 100+ of these counterfeits and still have a good reputation.

Probably it is a couple of suppliers that put counterfeit sleves on some cheap no-name brands. These caps are good enough to pass as the real thing in the not-so-demanding audio (not very high constant ripple current in audio use to heat them up and blow out)

As I wrote in my earier posts in the beginning of this thread, when I measured my counterfeit caps, the leakage current was still very low at 80VDC +10% (and the capacitance was inside the 20% limits) so an immediate catastrofic failure was not to expect due to high voltage.
But the ESR (Equavilent Series Resistance) was higher and life expectancy (due to poor sealings and/or low grade materiels?) can not be estimated.

JohanB

I have consistently had quality parts from these HK/China/Taiwan suppliers (plus some others..)

electronics-salon - jims_audio - electricslee - coolbaby11 - audjade_chn

I have never had fake parts from any of these suppliers. But honestly I always instantly ignore any ebay thats offering parts at less than 50% of what would be normal pricing. Some of the pricing is so ridiculous that youd have stupid not to think for yourself that this cant be true???

Additionally I have never ever had any problems at all buying quality capacitors from the Slavic states. Consistently reliable quality and delivery...

there are good sellers out there but you gotta use your nut. If you act silly then youve only got yourself to blame for the mess you gotta cleanup.

I always do a tester with a new seller , buy a couple check em out..

Ive lived in China trust me "fake is normal" business in China and even for the locals you have to work hard to find real and reliable sellers always.. why should westerners be any different. Do your homework always.

Uppdate from eBay Customer Support, on the counterfeit ELNA LAO 10000uF/80V capacitors from eBay seller "sharpseller2000"

"Good news. We issued you with a full refund of US $79.98 on Jul 01, 2015. The refund includes the purchase price plus original P&P and has been credited to your PayPal account. Please log in to PayPal and view the history page if you don't see it in your PayPal balance.

Decision:
This case has been decided in your favour.

Comments:
The seller agreed to issue you a refund, but unfortunately it looks like it was never sent. We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused and have issued you a refund for this case."

Beware, there are still 5 identical ads on eBay from the same seller......:mad:

nigelwright7557 don't worry: I've already a good supply of Vishay & Chemi-cons from Farnell & Mouser, so I don't need your symphaty......
Maybe you're just spamming for your PC-program??

JohanB

You must now assume that all electrolytics, besides very few, on e-Bay are fakes.

For interest I asked about this NCC "Super-ellyt" 10000Uf 100V in a 35x51mm can from janeh2100 !!! :rolleyes:

I asked how it could be possible:

I can not find this size for 10000uF/100V in the NCC KMH catalog.
How come you can have it?

and they answered:

hello,client
we only have 10000uF/100V KMH ,without NCC,hoipe you can understand and make sure before purchase.
best regards
Libby

This make me lose all confident in the Chinese e-Bay sellers.

Attachments

• FakeNCC10000-100V.JPG
    FakeNCC10000-100V.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 631
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.