I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan if you look at the claims made by DBT testers it seems like almost nothing have an influence on SQ so I guess any mid-fi should sound just as good as any hi-end system if you choose to believe them.

OK I've listened to some 'hi-end' stuff that would be better described as mid-fi :rolleyes: but thats besides the point.

Is it beside the point? If you have designers who actually believe in parameters that they can't measure and are being possibly misguided by their intuition then I would think that certain mid-fi which doesn't concern itself with superfluous improvements which only bring the overall cost of the product up and give no audible benefits will be a much higher measurable and perceivable fidelity because they focus their money and energy where it actually matters.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not at all. I'm just trying to find out why he did not recommend the product. People condemn all kinds of things because of what I consider secondary considerations.

Well, if it oscillates, that seems good reason not to recommend it....
Note that it still can sound good in the perception of some, since the very steep price will undoubtedly figure prominently in the brain's development of that perception. ;-)

jd

Yes, I did, and nothing further modifies or counters the opening statement. Maybe I'm ESL, enlighten me.

The "further" establishes the context. In this case, something which measures badly but gets a rave subjective review.

My post gave nothing more than an example of something which measured badly but got a rave subjective review.

Therefore, I fail to see why something more than that was read into it.

se

Is it beside the point? If you have designers who actually believe in parameters that they can't measure and are being possibly misguided by their intuition then I would think that certain mid-fi which doesn't concern itself with superfluous improvements which only bring the overall cost of the product up and give no audible benefits will be a much higher measurable and perceivable fidelity because they focus their money and energy where it actually matters.

The most disappointing 'hi-end' system I've heard happens to be one with very highly regarded specifications, go figure.

I agree. The so called mid fi gear is where the gold is if you are after good sound at at a non inflated price. The debate going on now about Stereophile just shows what a mess you get into when un-controlled subjectivism is left to run its course, I believe it will self destruct soon and we will swing back to a more realistic view of how to choose home audio. I live in hope.

I agree. The so called mid fi gear is where the gold is if you are after good sound at at a non inflated price. The debate going on now about Stereophile just shows what a mess you get into when un-controlled subjectivism is left to run its course, I believe it will self destruct soon and we will swing back to a more realistic view of how to choose home audio. I live in hope.

Nice, now a few poor examples are used to describe the whole hi-end market. :rolleyes:

Time to wake up, trust your ears, listen and learn what is possible with a good system, you may just be surprised.

Andre, these 'critics' apparently have never heard hi end stuff that really works. Of course, sometimes it doesn't, but the successes are also numerous.
For example, I remember hearing that first Wavac power amp that measured so poorly.
I happened into it at THE SHOW on a solitary walk to cover the listening rooms. It was huge, expensive, using horn loaded speakers and a vinyl record playback.
I was stunned, and listened for a long time.
The next year, and even this year, they only used digital playback and a different amp. I was disappointed, on both occasions. Not bad, but no magic. Certainly not worth the cost, (to me). Sometimes it would appear that measurements do not tell us exactly what the unit will sound like.

Last edited:
When you data mine, don't forget your helmet.

Fremer seems to make a habit of this stuff:

Stereophile: KR Enterprise VT8000 MK monoblock power amplifier

I remember reading that tripe... wondering why they didn't simply state they were hoodwinked and can't imagine why anyone would p*&^ away $25K on such obvious junk...

Stereopile... gotta love their integrity... I recall a few yrs or so ago getting into a discussion with JA on RAHE where he was using near field speaker measurements to justify far field observations and accolades... never did get an accurate response from him...

Stereophile again! - rec.audio.high-end | Google Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.