I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how John would explain the fact that those who have been participants in double blind tests profess to have confidence in hearing differences during the test?

If what John said is true, they would say "Hey, I can't hear any difference" and the test would end before it began.

se

Clearly those who proclaim it the most don't "trust their ears". They do however, clearly trust their eyes, prior knowledge, etc.

Good question.I don't know what everyone means by "entry" system.For me it should be something to beat a marantz cd63se,audiolab 8000a amp,and rogers LS6a/2 speaker,and cost around $1500(60% of the price of the above system) if it will be a good value too,today.Maximum could be $2500(the price of the above system when was new)

IMHO the speakers I use - Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Pro active - are an improvement on the old school BBC monitors and they are a fraction of the cost. But I could go a different way than just cloning my own system. But it's the easiest for me to do and I think it compares with the sound you are going for. Remember you have to forget the old reputation of these speakers as well - they are totally different speakers once you hit the Diamond 8s. As far as I can tell they are pretty much clones of there expensive cousin the QuadLs but with a bit more of the old BBC bass.

$300 a pair Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Pro from zZounds.com might as well go for quad.1 and get some immersion.

$300 for the sub Wharfedale Diamond SW250 10" 250 Watt Subwoofer-Silver - eBay (item 270376543795 end time Feb-12-10 10:16:35 PST)

Which leaves 600 over for an outboard firewire soundcard. The one I use is discontinued but this one with EAC rips played through Foobar ASIO should be better than most any entry level CD Player.
$429.95
http://www.amazon.com/Echo-AudioFire8-Firewire-Audio-Interface/dp/B000FTUQ6O

$900 5 active speakers/9 amps
$430 External firewire Audio Interface
$150 Slight overestimate on some cheap stands
$100 Overestimate on 1/4" to XLR and 1/4" to RCA cabling
$1580 Total

IMHO the speakers I use - Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Pro active - are an improvement on the old school BBC monitors and they are a fraction of the cost. But I could go a different way than just cloning my own system. But it's the easiest for me to do and I think it compares with the sound you are going for. Remember you have to forget the old reputation of these speakers as well - they are totally different speakers once you hit the Diamond 8s. As far as I can tell they are pretty much clones of there expensive cousin the QuadLs but with a bit more of the old BBC bass.

$300 a pair Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Pro from zZounds.com might as well go for quad.1 and get some immersion.

$300 for the sub Wharfedale Diamond SW250 10" 250 Watt Subwoofer-Silver - eBay (item 270376543795 end time Feb-12-10 10:16:35 PST)

Which leaves 600 over for an outboard firewire soundcard. The one I use is discontinued but this one with EAC rips played through Foobar ASIO should be better than most any entry level CD Player.
$429.95
http://www.amazon.com/Echo-AudioFire8-Firewire-Audio-Interface/dp/B000FTUQ6O

$900 5 active speakers/9 amps
$430 External firewire Audio Interface
$150 Slight overestimate on some cheap stands
$100 Overestimate on 1/4" to XLR and 1/4" to RCA cabling
$1580 Total

Thanks I will have a look at them.How about IAG's Castle speaker range?I emember they were good back then when I had listen to a few models.

Thanks I will have a look at them.How about IAG's Castle speaker range?I emember they were good back then when I had listen to a few models.

The bad reviews I read gave me the impression that they may have made the existing models from before they became IAG too neutral and analytical. People wanted the character defects back. But as far as me getting to audition anything Castle in USA, good luck. I don't think the US has been the biggest market for Quad, Castle etc... We sort of have a reputation for liking crap speakers imho :p

The bad reviews I read gave me the impression that they may have made the existing models from before they became IAG too neutral and analytical. People wanted the character defects back. But as far as me getting to audition anything Castle in USA, good luck. I don't think the US has been the biggest market for Quad, Castle etc... We sort of have a reputation for liking crap speakers imho :p

Too neutral and analytical is not what I need.So I'll check the "crap" ones asap:)

What is your belief based on? Can you cite some examples, where valid, non-top-secret DBT's yielded positive results for some audible phenomenon...and was rejected by the believers-comprehenders of science? Actual links would be nice.
I would certainly accept positive results of your DBT Tom. Then, having a rational, science based existence, I would want to know why. What was the cause. RF from the CD player? You did say it is some sort of exotic "hi end" design correct? Btw, didn't you also say you might be getting a new player?
Any possibility (if you get the new player) that you test yourself prior to SY coming to see if you can still hear the IC to the amp?
Lastly, any idea what tracks you would be using? It would be nice for you to tell us specifically (rather than the completely vague repetitions from Andre) what you listen for on what song when "hearing" wires, so that other may try this themselves on their systems.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. luckily it wasn't done this weekend, dang, it was awful chilly....maybe not the best for concentrating on music and listening to wires

Hello AJ!

I have no proof only my belief and I may indeed be proven wrong. In fact I hope that's the case but, I'll be surprised if it is. Instead I suspect most, because they so firmly believe there are no differences to be heard, will believe that an error had to have been made somewhere in the test. Afterall how can I hear what they believe cannot be heard unless an error was made!??!

As you've been very civil and respectful ---{Which I greatly appreciate}--- I hope you won't view this as an attack, but even you're already looking for other reasons, i.e., RF from the CD player for why I can detect differences in wires. So why is it such a far stretch for me to believe others will be doing the same? The opponents of wires will look for everything besides there are differences that aren't revealed in simple LCR measurements as being the cause. I suspect we'll also start to hear about the test being statistically insignificance, questions raised about which controls are in place or the possibily of biases coming into play etc. This is what I suspect will occur, although cannot prove it until the test is taken and we so people react. I have a question though AJ what makes you believe this CDP is susceptible to RF? And if it was susceptible that presented a problem, wouldn't the same exact "problem" be presented to and transfered through both ICs?

I did indeed just purchase a new CD player. Actually it's more of an upgrade. I've traded in my 5 yr old Bluenote (solid state) Stibbert CDP for the new Goldenote (tubed) Stibbert CDP. It can be seen here: Goldenote. The sound beyond The only thing I'd call exotic about it, is that it hangs from a chassis that's used to reduce vibration. It does sound a good bit different and I'm presently trying to get a good handle on it's unique sound before I go about switching ICs and listening for differences. Of course I'll continue doing this and will be sure I'm prepared BEFORE I give SY the ok to run a test. Otherwise the possibility of my not being initimately familair system could be a reason I didn't pass SY's test.

Concerning the music selections I'll use. At this present time I'm not sure. I've just ordered "Don't Smoke In Bed" by Holly Cole so I might use a cut from that CD. I'm considering cuts from "Wild for You" by Karrin Allyson, "Make Someone Happy" by Sophie Milman, "Fragile" by Smile, "Private Wars" by Zrazy and "Aja" by Steely Dan and believe it or not the song "At Last" sung by Cyndi Lauper from her CD called At Last. By the time I'm prepared to take the DBT I'll have my selections made and I'll be able to tell everyone why I chose that selection and what I'm specifically listening for on that selection!

Thetubeguy1954

~Rational Subjectivism. It's An Acquired Taste!~

No, I said the same thing, IN PRINT, 30 years ago, and it was verified by Dr. Rod Rees, expert in such things, unlike you.

OK, that tears it- the excuse bag IS empty.

Seriously, John, that's all you got? The only Rees paper even vaguely relevant was a philosophical discourse, absolutely zero evidence. Maybe it's time to trot out that many-times-discredited Coke versus Pepsi thing you love so much? When you run out of excuses, you need to recycle.

Hello AJ!
I have no proof only my belief and I may indeed be proven wrong.
Ok, that makes sense, because, as I stated, when rational people are presented with repeatable, scientifically valid evidence, they accept it.

In fact I hope that's the case but, I'll be surprised if it is. Instead I suspect most, because they so firmly believe there are no differences to be heard, will believe that an error had to have been made somewhere in the test. Afterall how can I hear what they believe cannot be heard unless an error was made!??!
I think you need to start viewing this not as some sort of apocalypse, where good will triumph over evil, but rather as a weekend where you do what you have done many times before. Enjoy listening to music on your stereo. Picking out the differences between IC's, as you have easily done before and will continue to do in the future. Nothing extraordinary, just run of the mill.
The fact that others will be there should make no difference (as you have already stated folks have gathered before to listen to the equipment).
The only difference will be the absence of visual and prior knowledge of the ICs. Certainly nothing that will affect sound waves (as implied by JC).

I hope you won't view this as an attack
No Tom, I view this as entertaining cyberspace chit-chat, not an "attack". Components are inanimate objects to me, as are discussions of them and the soundfields produced.

you're already looking for other reasons, i.e., RF from the CD player for why I can detect differences in wires. So why is it such a far stretch for me to believe others will be doing the same? The opponents of wires will look for everything besides there are differences that aren't revealed in simple LCR measurements as being the cause. I suspect we'll also start to hear about the test being statistically insignificance, questions raised about which controls are in place or the possibily of biases coming into play etc.
Hold on a second Tom...I thought we were both looking for "other" reasons than LCR? :confused:
I merely suggested RF as one such possibility, if: 1) differences detected in the sound field 2) LCR eliminated as the cause.
Be careful that we don't drift into the twilight zone of dielectric "sound", quantum entanglement, etc. before overlooking the basic "known but boring" physics.
Let's not jump the gun on statistical analysis quite yet either.

I have a question though AJ what makes you believe this CDP is susceptible to RF? And if it was susceptible that presented a problem, wouldn't the same exact "problem" be presented to and transfered through both ICs?
~
I don't and no, not necessarily.

I did indeed just purchase a new CD player. Actually it's more of an upgrade. I've traded in my 5 yr old Bluenote (solid state) Stibbert CDP for the new Goldenote (tubed) Stibbert CDP. It can be seen here: Goldenote. The sound beyond The only thing I'd call exotic about it, is that it hangs from a chassis that's used to reduce vibration. It does sound a good bit different and I'm presently trying to get a good handle on it's unique sound before I go about switching ICs and listening for differences. Of course I'll continue doing this and will be sure I'm prepared BEFORE I give SY the ok to run a test. Otherwise the possibility of my not being initimately familair system could be a reason I didn't pass SY's test.
Ok, just want to get any and all confounders (like new equipment) out of the way. Hence my suggestions of familiarity and certainty in ability to discern differences with the current rig prior to the test.

Concerning the music selections I'll use. At this present time I'm not sure. I've just ordered "Don't Smoke In Bed" by Holly Cole so I might use a cut from that CD. I'm considering cuts from "Wild for You" by Karrin Allyson, "Make Someone Happy" by Sophie Milman, "Fragile" by Smile, "Private Wars" by Zrazy and "Aja" by Steely Dan and believe it or not the song "At Last" sung by Cyndi Lauper from her CD called At Last. By the time I'm prepared to take the DBT I'll have my selections made and I'll be able to tell everyone why I chose that selection and what I'm specifically listening for on that selection!
Excellent. Specifics. Utterly lacking from the many others here who give only deliberately vague references. IIRC it was Joe Rasmussen here in his Elsinore speakers thread, who stated that changing a cap allowed him to hear three guitars on a track where he had previously only heard two. That is plenty specific, identifiable....and repeatable.

Now all we need is time for you to acclimate to the new CD player and some warm(er) weather ;).
Thank goodness you are stepping up to the plate and ignoring the devout who feel threatened and would rather torpedo the test. Kudos.

cheers,

AJ

I was thinking today that one could roll ten sets of the same cables from a starting material that is agreed upon to be "directional" and randomize the directions. This would eliminate the FR and LRC issues.

That's what was attempted some years back here.

Sent samples of the wire to the two participants so they could evaluate it for directionality.

One said he didn't hear any difference and the most boastful one went walkabout and didn't hear from him again.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I was thinking today that one could roll ten sets of the same cables from a starting material that is agreed upon to be "directional" and randomize the directions. This would eliminate the FR and LRC issues.

I think wire really needs to be drawn in a very odd way to make it even remotely directional.
If cable were that directional just hooking up some to both channels randomly could mess up the stereo image. Does it?

Frankly, I just think that's one of those audio myths
Just my opinion though.

Cheers, ;)

I'd be happy with that. And it raises a good point about the burnt not-burnt test, because Andre can hear both effects, if a burnt not-burnt test is done, the cables supplied would have to be marked for directionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.