Best electrolytic capacitors

Check out what organizations and banks in the UK ( and America ) supported De Nationalsozialist Deutsche Arbeiterpartei in the 1930,s --it will shock you.

Also check out the fact that they put the working class back in jobs -gave them free holidays particularly Italy - gave them free welfare -free medical and yes I watched the actual German broadcast TV showing you this on satellite.

I had a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 full of those, and it sounded terrible.
I replaced all of them with mostly Silmic II's and a Muse for the FB, but I can't say that helped: still blurry and grainy.
I guess the design is hopeless to start with.

Once I had a Harman amp sounded thin and rather bright. Changed PSU caps to the darkest sounding: BHC (non slit foil) and all others to Silmic II. No change at all. There are some designs out there where modding does not make sense.

Assume you have a board with 2 opamps, a black gate 2200uF 16V on rails after the regulator.
Now you decouple opamps locally with black gates 100uF 16V.
What happens ?

Just asking for a friend.

1. I f you use 15V dual supply -> 16V is too low. Higher volt. rating sounds better - so 25V is the minimum but 50V sounds and measure noticeable better.

2. 2200uF is pretty much after a regulator. Check that out, some regs get problems with such big cap.

3. 10uF-47uF is enough for opamp decoupling. I take Silmic II or Nichicon KZ (33uF/100V) + MKP or MKS 33nF + C0G 1000pF and before the caps I put a 10R resistor in series for better decoupling between the stages. I always use 1W resistors at least cos they sound better than lower wattage.

Talking about speakers, the irony is my beloved Quad ESL57's have those crappy ceramic caps in the crossovers AND the power supplies. And yet I haven't heard anything that sounds better to me.

After 40 years of use, one of them needs a new bass panel. I'll use the opportunity to replace the ceramics with MKP's and see what gives. Don't hold your breath, I'd be surprised if it's finished before the ski season is over. :)

Just salvaged a bunch of these from my washing maschine.
More big more dull I guess.

Attachments

• 00mkv.jpg
    00mkv.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 326
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Assume you have a board with 2 opamps, a black gate 2200uF 16V on rails after the regulator.
Now you decouple opamps locally with black gates 100uF 16V.
What happens ?

Just asking for a friend.

alas, depends of the reg schem, but the BG 2200/16 will make it dull, at least too much BG sound. Ask him to try the same value with Pan FM 2200/16 and keep the BG after... equilibrium should be better imho.

Edit thought that the washing machine cylinder could make a good cardioid box for a woofer with the back sealed and the oposite side with the woofer... Too bad it's metal... maybe with a fabric sandwich around ?!

Last edited: