Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Mega midbass straight horn 139dB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2020, 11:27 AM   #41
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

FLH's make a lot of sense, maybe it would be possible to make modular boxes with only two parts each.
I think it's a very big advantage to plan ahead for a bit, doesn't matter if you're not going to build them within a year. Better to just go at it and start fiddling about with designs and amp solutions, most likely you'd go through several iterations before you end up with something you are more happy with.

Edit:
Was just thinking, perhaps it would be easier to not make modular boxes, but instead have some kind of aluminium ramp to lay on the back. Get some big-ish wheels like for wheelbarrows on one end of the horns, and make some kind of system on one of those two wheeled trolleys, so you can just pull the whole thing. Should be possible to make it relatively compact and electric powered in case you want to reduce need for help when loading/unloading.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 29th March 2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 29th March 2020, 12:52 PM   #42
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
I have been doing some work on the sub amps as this is free to do in simulation land and could bring in some money for the rest of the system. Scaled them back to 300Vdc bus full bridge which should give a 5kW/8ohm burst rating. The actual amp will be a low frequency ~50kHz switching IGBT full bridge. Main complexity is the power supply (3kW maximum throughput, smooth transition between current source and voltage source behavior) but I have made good progress on that.

Mainly for cost reasons we will have to go FLH on the subs as otherwise we won't have the output per driver we need. I like the idea of just backing the subs into the van. I try to make my system fast to setup/teardown using patch panels and multicore cables for less stress.
Old 29th March 2020, 01:59 PM   #43
Hydrogen Alex is offline Hydrogen Alex  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 15 inch Beyma in 20 litres sealed

I have never designed a front loaded horn so please bear with me...!
I have a pair of the Beyma 15 P80 running in 21 litres sealed box and crossed over at 500Hz to a broadband driver.

I use DSP to crossover and Eq the sound and the results are awesome!
I bought the speakers second hand on Ebay and dont have any spec or info except air volume and driver model, they are about 3 years old I think.

The attached sim is interesting and suggests that about 21 litres is the min sealed volume to stay below the 0.707 Q.
Maybe adding a front-loaded horn changes the rules but I would be cautious about 10 litres... Maybe actually build a test cabinet of 21 litres and then add polystyrene cubes to "reduce" the internal air volume and you can measure/listen to actual results Vs Sim? Its a great way to be sure and its soooo much easier to remove polystyrene blocks than build a bigger box!

Good luck and great project!
A.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Beyma 15P80 Fe Sim.pdf (185.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 16th April 2020, 03:39 PM   #44
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Hi Alex yeah the rules are a bit different in the FLH. The rear chamber is sized to 'reactance annul' (cancel the imaginary portion of the acoustic impedance at the throat), this increases efficiency near the horns low frequency cut off. More simply the rear chamber has to be smaller because the air load on the front of the driver is larger so a stiffer 'spring' is required.
Old 16th April 2020, 04:30 PM   #45
Hydrogen Alex is offline Hydrogen Alex  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the explanation, it sounds logical.
Some simple but effective looking horns here:
https://www.ddshorns.com/BassMid%20DVB%2015N%20pro.pdf
and here: https://www.ddshorns.com/BassMid%20DVB%2015H.pdf

The shallow one reminds me of the ones I used to use when we needed extra throw in venues where the stacked sealed subs needed a boost.
The cabinets had optional spacers which allowed us to stack as sealed subs or stack with the front horns on.... It always sounded good either way!

Mega midbass straight horn 139dBHide this!Advertise here!