The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Hi David,

FYI I've build my Elsinore with 19 mm MDF and bitumen pads.
I've reduced depth of the boxes from 380 mm to 360 mm to keep the same internal volume.

BR, Pascal

Pascal,

Thanks for the info, and the picture of your speakers. What thickness of bitumen pads did you use? From what I have read, one needs to build up a pretty thick layer to effectively dampen the enclosure walls, something like 6 to 8 mm, which would take up most of the increased volume if the exterior dimensions are the same. Is the enclosure quiet and free of resonances? I have also been considering use of CLD by adding 1/4" (6mm) HDF panels bonded with a thick layer of polyurethane glue, which retains some resiliency instead of using bitumen pads.

David

Pascal,

Thanks for the info, and the picture of your speakers. What thickness of bitumen pads did you use? From what I have read, one needs to build up a pretty thick layer to effectively dampen the enclosure walls, something like 6 to 8 mm, which would take up most of the increased volume if the exterior dimensions are the same. Is the enclosure quiet and free of resonances? I have also been considering use of CLD by adding 1/4" (6mm) HDF panels bonded with a thick layer of polyurethane glue, which retains some resiliency instead of using bitumen pads.

David

I've used 7 mm bitumen pads (5.5mm felt + 1.5mm bitumen pad) :

Insonorisant Infrasound feutre sur masse bitumeuse - comptoirauto.com

I've build my Nomex 164 from TG before the Elsinore also with this combo MDF 19 mm + 7 mm bitumen pads. Both enclosure are OK for me IMHO.

BR Pascal

i would use the coated ones for the upper two and the uncoated the lower two.

Noted.

The extra woofers arrived from WES today and I transferred funds to you for the wave guides, so the plan is starting to come together.

I had planned to build the cabinets myself, but realistically given time constraints and lack of woodworking experience, it could be a year or more until they materialise.

I bought a pair of 3 way floor standers several years ago from Adelaide Speakers and am very satisfied with the construction, and recently read that the company has built cabinets for DIY projects. I will ask Edward from Adelaide if he can build me a pair of Elsinore cabinets, but thought I'd check whether there are any other recommended Australian cabinet makers.

Hi Joe. When checking the driver specs for the SB17NRXC35-8-UC, they supply the details for the SB17NRXC35-8. Does this mean they perform exactly the same? What does the coating achieve? I have ordered 2 of the SB17NRXC35-8-UC as just in case spares.

The difference is very marginal and with these drivers very light.

Where the coating is likely to have an influence is at those frequencies above which the cone no longer acts as a piston. This means the flexing of the cone in a controlled way. There will always be arguments about coating versus no coating. The Elsinore design is different in some ways, that overly correcting for these effects are in fact more likely to be detrimental and this has to do with the fact that the Elsinores are more about getting the current right as a higher priority - that a nominal fix in voltage terms is cause for a less well understood problem on the current side. I put current as a priority over voltage, every day, every time. The results 'speak' for themselves. :D

Of course, there will always be some who argues with that, but I just play the Elsinores for them and ask if they hear any problem? The lack of any harshness and audible distortion at those upper mid frequencies and lower treble, in fact these speakers are very easy on ear, despite the fact some may think it should not be. I hear people say they are detailed and not harsh mentioned all the time.

I've been corresponding with Edward from Adelaide Speakers this week. Him and his cabinet maker have agreed to build the cabs for me, which should cut down the construction time considerably.

Which brings me to a question.

I see the crossover is externally mounted. Is there any particular reason why they can't be mounted inside the enclosure? I'd prefer to reduce cable clutter and an extra box unless there is some compelling reason.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I've been corresponding with Edward from Adelaide Speakers this week. Him and his cabinet maker have agreed to build the cabs for me, which should cut down the construction time considerably.

Which brings me to a question.

I see the crossover is externally mounted. Is there any particular reason why they can't be mounted inside the enclosure? I'd prefer to reduce cable clutter and an extra box unless there is some compelling reason.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to put the crossover inside, but it can be mounted on the back of the cabinet. See posts #2407 & 2415.

hi guys in response to schubet query regarding crossover placement and joes query about raising the elsinores. i raised my elsinores by around 75mm to fit the crossovers under the speakers. this raised the elsinores tweeter to my ear level whilst seated in my listening position. as i take my seat the treble lights up as the i reach the seated position. i recall earlier conversation of joe raising the elsinors in display room and finding the music greatly improved. this would also bring the tweeter up closer to the ear level of listeners standing in the display room. Food for thought.

Attachments

• 20150507_203559.jpg
    20150507_203559.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 629
  • xover.jpg
    xover.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 679
  • speaker back.jpg
    speaker back.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:
Very good advise since 90MM stormwater pipe seems to be an Australian standard only and not available in other countries.
How do you calculate a flared port?

The Australian 90mm pipe I have here measures around 90.5mm outside diameter and around 87mm inner. Wall thickness not totally uniform being between 1.6 and 1.8mm.

What would be the difference be between 87mm and 90mm be with 100mm length? The 87mm will tune to a fractionally lower box frequency, but much to worry about.

Re lifting up the Elsinores, between 75-100mm iseems to do the job. For our Yankee friends, 3-4 inches. Hope no Southerners are offended. :D