Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The "Elsinore Project" Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2020, 09:46 PM   #3051
sj4 is offline sj4  United States
diyAudio Member

Hooked + on the CO to - on the tweet. Sounds great. Might A-B it later if I get bored.
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:30 PM   #3052
Ripster is offline Ripster
diyAudio Member

So I got an usb sound card, made a device with 100 ohm resistor and after some time of tinkering and calibrating I got this results without crossover attached! Is this the expected curve or should it be diferrent should I repete the test with crossover...

thx

elsinore_impedance.png
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:37 PM   #3053
scottr923 is offline scottr923  United States
diyAudio Member

i've had my MKV's running for quite a few years and after a year or so, thought something was off, sound was just a tad fuzzy. took a SUPER close look at CO and found that one of the woofers or midwoofers was wired wrong, threw the whole dang sound off. after that...OMFG, these speakers are fantastic! i think these might be easier than some DIYs o make a little goof. love the pic with the feet up
Cheers all
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:19 AM   #3054
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripster View Post
So I got an usb sound card, made a device with 100 ohm resistor and after some time of tinkering and calibrating I got this results without crossover attached! Is this the expected curve or should it be diferrent should I repete the test with crossover...

thx

Attachment 846434
Looks good. Can you export the data and post them here?
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:42 AM   #3055
diyAudio Member

I had to shrink graph from 10Hz to 1kHz so I could upload it...

elsinore_left_no_crossover.txt
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:58 AM   #3056
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripster View Post
I had to shrink graph from 10Hz to 1kHz so I could upload it...

Attachment 846540
Alright, I made a new plot, zooming in a bit. It looks like the impedance level is not right, but the overall shape looks fine to me. Did you maybe use a different value resistor in the measurement?

Anyways, take a look at the attachment. The minimum between the two bass-reflex peaks is at 34 Hz, so that's the bass-reflex tuning frequency.

There are also some interesting wiggles:
  • At 40 Hz and 110 Hz: I have no idea what this is
  • At 145 Hz, 295 Hz and 470 Hz: These look like the internal standing wave developing along the vertical axis of the box. You might want to try to attenuate these by adding some damping, or maybe an internal Helmholtz resonator stuffed with sound absorbing material.
Attached Images
File Type: png impedance_curve_elsinore.png (35.9 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by mbrennwa; 23rd May 2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:52 AM   #3057
diyAudio Member

Hey mbrennwa I really appreciate your help. Regarding stuffing since I have no access to stuff Joe uses for stuffing I had no idea how much to stuff the box so I will add some more stuffing. As for impedance measurements I am still struggling I did everything as in REW help file but if I take a measurement right after calibrating with open and closed circuit and after that with reference resistor, I get allmost flat line so I raised input gain to be able to see graph. Since there is no mention of raising or lowering gain on input of sound card I have no idea if this is what i should do or not to get a usable graph, but If I had to guess I would say I shouldn't touch gain after calibrating. Should usb sound card have enough power to measure impedance of elsinore speakers or should the sound card be connected through amplifier?

P.S.
damn I just found "limits" button to scale the graph I will do some more measurements tonight with untouched gain then I suppose the graph will show as it should

thanks

Last edited by Ripster; 23rd May 2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:05 PM   #3058
diyAudio Member

Yeah, don't touch the gain after calibration. That would explain the high impedance values.
It should be fine with the soundcard output alone; should be fine without a power amp.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:07 PM   #3059
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Try replacing the speaker with a 10 ohm resistor and adjust so the measured level is some multiple of 10.
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:21 PM   #3060
diyAudio Member

Well finally I was able to tame the measuring device
Now I have this two measurements with and without crossover. I didnt add the stuffing yet. If I understand those little bumps are standing waves? But other than that do these graphs look like they should? There is some difference in tunning frequency between the two should I tune with or without crossover?

thanks

left-crossover.jpg left-no-crossover.jpg

The "Elsinore Project" ThreadHide this!Advertise here!