The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Boxes are on track to be finished this week. Below shows then very close to be completed, they still need the plinth to be fitted.

elsinore-purifi.jpg

The colour we are aiming at is semi-gloss pure dark red:

Red_160_0_0.jpg

R=160, G=0 and B=0. So it is a pure red where R=255 is max (very bright red), so I reduced the R value till I liked what I saw. The painter should be able to convert the RGB to his colouring code.

Maybe you can picture it in your mind, the dark/black drivers and waveguide should stand out nicely.

I nearly had an unforeseen problem, due to shortages (the pandemic) I was told that it would be months before they would have stocks of Polymax R3.5 that I use as internal damping. Making phone calls and following leads got me to a hardware store that had some. Paid for it with my trusty Mastercard and it's there for me to pick up and they are not far from where the boxes are being made, in fact in the neighboring suburb.

Next week will hopefully be where I can get them painted professionally, two-pack in a paint booth. Will keep you posted.

What do you guys think about the colour?

I was told yesterday that it could be ready by the end of this coming week, but their turnaround is 14 days, and that falls on Monday 24th. I have other commitments at the moment, so have to take things as they come. I will post some pics on the day of the pickup.

I have also been giving some thoughts as to the alignment and the way I have chosen will sacrifice about 2dB of sensitivity and tune it lower than what we have done before. I am looking at tuning below 30 Hertz in the same way that Troels Gravesen has done (www.troelsgravesen.dk/Purifi-6661.htm). The likely port length will be 150mm. The sensitivity will still be a good 90dB/1M and near resistive load to the amplifier.

Sounds good Joe - glad to hear they’re coming along! Super excited to get the new design set up.

Okay so gotta starting looking for a longer port tube.. was a real pain finding the one I used the last time that is 80mm long. I guess maybe it’s possible to glue two together I suppose..

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked boxes up from the painter.

Outback_Red.jpg

I got a text email from Mendo Ristevski of "Audio Origami" this morning (I sent him the picture) and his suggestion was to call the colour "Outback Red" and the Australian outback is known as a red landscape. ;)

Outback_Red_Landscape.jpg

I had settled on darker red a while back and found Pantone 7621C colour to be the closest, so if anybody wants to replicate it, they can look that up and decide.

But there is something else that occurred to me that this is also similar to the colour that Purifi uses (and that Danish national colour is red) and it sorta fits together, but it just seemed to happen rather than being planned. Just thought I should state that for the record in case anybody wonders.

I know that this colour is also similar to a pair of EL-6 that was posted here not that long ago and it didn't look bad at all.

Reactions: 1 user