Soft Dome Tweeter Coatings

Hi. I have a pair of westra silk dome tweeters. I want to build a speaker with them ( they are told very good sounding so I do not want to throw them away. ) Some paintings softened and rubbed of. How can I fix it or paint it? Thank you

Attachments

• 20220905_160319.jpg
    20220905_160319.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 96
I recently had to recoat a pair of silk(?) dome tweeters whose sound level output had dropped considerably, the weave of the silk was quite open and the doping compound had almost disappeared, once recoated, the sound level was back to an acceptable level, the tweeters looked like they were an early Morel type (no model number)
cheers, Arthur
Hi. What did you use for recoating the tweeters please? I have a pair of Acoustic Research 132 and the coating on the tweeters was cracked. I cleaned them with alcohol and now they sound dull.

I have a question related indirectly to this topic. I recently replaced the silk dome diaphragm of a Celestion Ditton 22 tweeter. The one I used came from China and the fabric is very soft compared to the original that seems coated with some kind of varnish. I'm wondering if every tweeter needs coating?

It sounds definitely more "fatiguing" however it shows a more linear response than the original on the other speaker.

Would coating dimple the sound a bit and help with the fatigue or stiffing it would make it worst?

Screenshot_20230823-141417_Spectroid_old_tweeter.jpg

Screenshot_20230823-141417_Spectroid_new_tweeter.jpg

-most of your problem is linearity.

You currently have about a 5db rise in response above the average starting at around 2.6 kHz with the new tweeter.

Don’t get me wrong though, the old tweeter isn’t good.

Also (generally) you should replace both tweeters at the same time and should do so with a tweeter that is almost the same sensitivity with extremely similar Impedances (to integrate properly into the existing crossover).

What is the old tweeter’s nominal impedance? Also, can you sweep just the old tweeter’s response at 2.83v at 1 meter? (to get an idea of eff..)

Last edited:
Thank you ScottG. Yes, I wanted to change both but before destroying the old working one I needed to know if my replacement was valid. My question was about coating and stiffness but you responded to it indirectly. The twitter nominal impedance is 4 Ohms. And DC resistance of old is 4.1 ohms while the one with new diaphragm is 3.9 ohms. If you don't think the coating will change much the result, I will be glad to open another thread to discuss this as I don't want to hijack this thread.