My first Tannoy Autograph

Thank you dear Carpenter. :)
Yes, the Autograph is coherent and natural; a "point source" transducer that is a well deserved and relaxing reward for the tired warrior's afternoons.
There is nothing like horns to reproduce life-like dynamics. This Tannoy enclosure has a mid-bass that is punchy and articulated. What cannot be transmited through the camera is the ampleur of the soundscape...

I just saw your site: excellent work too.
I have many ideas in my head but lack time at the moment to devellop them. Maybe soon...I need to buy a circular saw and learn how to work with fiberglass, though papier maché is an interesting alternative.

Cheers,
M.

PS: well considered, creation and creativity are most excellent and significant abilities and tasks to devellop ad perform, that approaches us to God.

Hi dear. Glad you like it. Unfortunately, not enough time to spend posting there. I shall amend that.

Look. This is a "transformer-like" evolution of the Autograph, but which can be placed anywhere (not corner loaded, in principle). The good quality plywood sheets measure here 2.2*1.2m, so I guess 2.2m is the height and 60cm the depth...:D We need three of these to make the core. This is a folded rear horn, split in two, mirrored horns: one goes down and the other goes up ;)
A hole must be done in the panel to allow the horn to be completed.

The front horn is not indispensable, given the driver. Absence of front horn (present speaker with only lower bass horn) makes the speaker disappear, litterally. :cool:
I will chose AN super10, so the front horn will be there, probably.

Attachments

• MAXLORENZ FRONT AND REAR HORN LOADED.jpg
    MAXLORENZ FRONT AND REAR HORN LOADED.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 305
Hi Veeman,

GRF Autograph is better. Period. :D

IF you have good corners, this is the way to go.
Corner loading is quite magical for bass reproduction. That way HF, midrange and bass are better integrated into a "wall of sound".
Integration (of the electric and acoustic crossovers) is the key word.
If you listen to Autograph v/s Westminster you will feel what I mean and you will notice that W. sounds leaner.

Corner speakers have a hidden advantage: High WAF as they use less real estate in the room.

Also, if you build a fulranger, corner loading is essential. You can't make a bass loaded horn FR too big...

My back wall is 5,5m though, which makes a decent "focal point".

Thanks for the interest.
M.

PS: did I mention that I bought new (used) coaxials? :cool:
I have not made the swap yet, because it is a hard task.

Do you mean non-Tannoy co-axials?

If yes I would be very, very interested in how they compare!

Hi guys,

I am lazy to take pictures and more lazy to upload...I have to look for the pictures...I have some somewhere.

There are bad quality videos on my Youtube channel (follow the signature as I cannot access Youtube from here) but good sounding IMHO.

I bought those Big P Audio Coaxials that I craved for for years (can you believe I have not even touched them?) because I thought my Beyma KX15 were faulty, but the reason for the bad noise was the amp had miss-regulated itself the current bias and was early clipping. It served to improve the crossovers though. Now the system is sounding better than ever: -ECdesigns- Mosaic UV DAC -->TVC--> diffamTOKIN VFET amp--> Tannoy Autograph clone. :cool::cool::cool:

Other sources: modded Otari MX5050; modded Lenco turntable with DIY "man on wire" unipivot arm, :D

I don't even know if the big coaxials will fit into the enclosure...

Attachments

• P.AUDIO BM15-CX38 3.jpg
    P.AUDIO BM15-CX38 3.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 125
  • P.AUDIO BM15-CX38 2.jpg
    P.AUDIO BM15-CX38 2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Or.

Attachments

• autograph1small.gif
    autograph1small.gif