Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Does anyone else think compression drivers sound bad?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2020, 01:11 PM   #71
schlager is offline schlager  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliGuy View Post
Weltersys,

I have compared decibel for decibel, and I really really wanted the CD's to sound good because
I'm working on my own speaker design with a 20" waveguide. I was hoping to get everything from
800hz up with the CD but of course ran into issues with beaming. But even using the B&C de250 from 1500hz up I was never fully satisfied with it. Accurate, yes it was. But as someone else mentioned here there was a stress it put on my ears. Im not discounting the possibility of something else Ive over looked, such as waveguide design. Its just my experience so far. I prefer the softer sound of the dome tweet. I dont like the word 'smooth' because I always felt that the CD was smooth but there was always this attack where it suddenly felt too loud like a hammerdrill on my eardrums.

The other issue is I dont feel that CD's do well in the mid zone. Then you run into the issue of c2c distance using a waveguide. I suppose you could do a tapped horn though, I havent tried that yet. But using a concentric 2 way solves the problem well enough for me. Its not perfectly smooth directivity on the polars like a cd would be, but Im a firm believer in getting 80% of the way perfect is usually good enough.
Problems with beaming and c2c distance has been solved long time ago with Danleys brilliant Synergy horn. Lot's of DIY out there. Blame inferior horn sound on inferior horn designs. Next
Old 24th November 2020, 01:35 PM   #72
Mindsource is offline Mindsource  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have a couple different CDs from Celestion and B&C, both on decent waveguides. The Celestion is aluminum which I was apprehensive about, but it is a very nice sounding CD. As is the B&C, which is polyamide. In terms of timbre, they are as good as any other tweeter I've heard, save for maybe some planar/ribbons. Take directivity into play and they are leaps and bounds above anything else. Other users have commented on dynamics, I wouldn't be able to go back to the dynamics (or lack thereof) of regular domes.

The best thing I ever did to them, and the system as a whole, was to apply the Harman curve. The speakers don't sound as much like speakers anymore, they sound much more natural to the ear. Something about those higher frequencies, if not slowly dialed down, light up the room and say "Hay, I'm a pair of speakers in a room"

My .02 at least

Last edited by Mindsource; 24th November 2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 24th November 2020, 05:30 PM   #73
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

The last two post are spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVK View Post
I use a modular 3 way so I can change easily between MF/HF domes and horns. All are EQ flattish and phase corrected and they sound good but also different. The horns seem to have more detail and depth and sound more lively. I cross a 1" poly CD at 725Hz with a large horn but it requires alot more EQ effort than the done/cones. It would be impossible (for me anyways) to get it right without measurements.
wise words

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4real View Post
As asked before: you have any measurements to compare? On and off axis measurements should give some pointers.
I don't plan on finding dynamic radiators that could do the imaging I heard from a pair of Altecs...I want to hear a pair of tpl150h for comparison (where does one go to do that lol) I predict its only half way there, due to horn/waveguide size difference...which makes me wonder why they don't build larger horn/AMT combo's....

Last edited by camplo; 24th November 2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 24th November 2020, 09:11 PM   #74
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

I think a larger horn/AMT combo (as is) would lack the efficiency of a CD/horn. I don't believe you can just slap a AMT to a horn and call it good. Oskar Heil had a patent of a circular AMT that might be as close as you could get to using a dedicated "horn" with it. The efficiency would be lower though I'm sure.

An AMT/waveguide combo works well to smooth out the frequency response I've noticed. That's with an existing heil AMT structure. The 1st generation heil structure is the most efficient of the bunch but nowhere near a CD. So, how loud do you need it to play? Home hifi you'd be fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0002.JPG (552.7 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0003.jpg (403.3 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by puppet; 24th November 2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 24th November 2020, 09:30 PM   #75
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

HiVi (Swans) used to make a PA speaker with horn loaded planars. Never heard it, but their planar speakers are rather good.
Old 24th November 2020, 09:33 PM   #76
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

ESS Blue Ox is another. The diaphragm/magnet structure is definitely purpose built though.
Old 24th November 2020, 11:17 PM   #77
egellings is offline egellings  United States
diyAudio Member

Horns to me have always had a sort of "shouty" quality to the sound. It could just be that I have never had exposure to really good designs.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:09 AM   #78
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Could be.
Old 25th November 2020, 07:26 AM   #79
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet View Post
I don't believe you can just slap a AMT to a horn and call it good... The 1st generation heil structure is the most efficient of the bunch but nowhere near a CD...
You can't just "slap" a CD to a horn and call it good either............lol

The heil is no where near the efficiency of a CD? How efficient are CD's without horns anyway? The purpose of the horn is to increase potential spl....which turns into lower extension and a wider passband....more directivity, etc, etc....
Does anyone else think compression drivers sound bad?-20170812_1448211-jpg

Quote:
AMT/waveguide combo works well to smooth out the frequency response I've noticed
My impression of waveguides are poor mans horns, whatever the waveguide does a horn does more....they are just tiny horns to me, non the less...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170812_1448211.jpg (132.3 KB, 606 views)

Last edited by camplo; 25th November 2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 25th November 2020, 06:20 PM   #80
charlie2 is offline charlie2  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlager View Post
Problems with beaming and c2c distance has been solved long time ago with Danleys brilliant Synergy horn. Lot's of DIY out there. Blame inferior horn sound on inferior horn designs. Next
Next question as above all solved

99.9 percent the horn is do blame

Horns of 1940s are nothing more than nostalgia

Does anyone else think compression drivers sound bad?Hide this!Advertise here!