Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

What can I do against 'box sound' ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2020, 12:54 PM   #201
TimA is offline TimA
diyAudio Member

Juhazi
Very interesting speakers you have there! I've been reading the thread to which you linked and agree with your preference for wide dispersion treble. Can I ask how close to the rear wall your speakers can be placed before the midrange starts to suffer, I'm thinking above 500Hz?
Old 18th September 2020, 01:14 PM   #202
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Tim, actually I haven't tested that. Speakers are 2' from wall but rotated 30deg so on-axes cross a bit In front of the "spot". All my room response measurements are with that placement. Other measurements with the speaker dragged in the middle 2m from walls (mor).

I can run some sweeps tonight and publish them in my thread for discussion!

Last edited by Juhazi; 18th September 2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 18th September 2020, 01:35 PM   #203
Pharos is offline Pharos  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Musing again, I think it would be very interesting to insert into the signal chain a parallel network of a diode and a pot, so that at maximum the diode is 'not there', but as it is rotated, the signal becomes increasingly asymmetrical.

From this we can detect thresholds of sensitivity of asymmetrical sine waveforms.
Old 18th September 2020, 01:52 PM   #204
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
This will, on a sine wave result in an asymmetrical waveform,
Do you have a reference ?
Old 18th September 2020, 02:00 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

No, it's my postulation - critique it.
Old 18th September 2020, 02:10 PM   #206
diyAudio Moderator

Resonance is not a non-linear effect. It doesn't have an asymmetrical characteristic.
Old 18th September 2020, 04:12 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

That may be so, but in this situation the back EMF is assisting the cone in one direction and impeding it in the other, this is not just a pure resonance, but one under the influence of a one way current from the low frequency, continuing through both halves of the cycle of an upper frequency; it assists in one direction and impedes in the other.
Old 18th September 2020, 04:24 PM   #208
oldspkrguy is offline oldspkrguy  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like the same exact type of foam pyramids I use. Regardless of enclosure shape; we still need to get the overall combined "Q" to OUR "personal" liking. We still need to absorb and dampen as much unwanted energy FROM EVERY SOURCE as much as possible also.

These days, I tend to prefer an overall "Q" less than 0.707. I mostly listen to classical; full symphony orchestra as well as Baroque and other era chamber music. I also listen to a lot of mostly acoustic based jazz. I do still rock out from time to time but prefer quick and precise transients to a lower in room f3, f6, f10, etc. [all else being equal!!!]. I have many drivers; each pair with it's own amplifier so I can adjust gain accordingly without needing any "bass enhancement" from a box with a higher Q. (This IS taking into account room modes and room gain)...
Old 18th September 2020, 05:05 PM   #209
Stal is offline Stal
diyAudio Member

I read through this thread rather quickly but don't think this has been put forward as a suggestion. I.e. using more than one drive unit such as MTM. For a given midwoofer design, an extra midwoofer would give 6dB gain which would mean for a given spl level the cone would only need to move by 1/4 of the displacement. For a given internal box design with chosen stuffing or absorbent solution as mentioned previously, having two such boxes dealing with less energy into each box would help, would it not?
I know MTM vs 2 way has its own debate but that aside....
Old 19th September 2020, 01:54 AM   #210
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
That may be so, but in this situation the back EMF is assisting the cone in one direction and impeding it in the other, this is not just a pure resonance, but one under the influence of a one way current from the low frequency, continuing through both halves of the cycle of an upper frequency; it assists in one direction and impedes in the other.
The backEMF is AC and works both ways. So does ringing. One part of what you seem to be describing is a phase difference between voltage and current, which isn't in itself asymmetrical.

The other part, if I understand you, would be the asymmetry of the envelope of the waveform, which is a different thing.

What can I do against 'box sound' ?Hide this!Advertise here!