Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

2 way waveguide speaker build ABEC modelling
2 way waveguide speaker build ABEC modelling
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2021, 11:10 AM   #271
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

That looks like a very usable response. I don't see a reason to care about that far off axis null circa 600 Hz. That must be slots on opposite sides of the doughnut combing.

The near axis response isn't completely flat but I would bet it will be hard to do better over such a wide range in the same size waveguide.
Old 28th February 2021, 08:40 PM   #272
aragorus is offline aragorus  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Maybe somehow improving the transition of the horn to the back piece could be helpful..
Old 1st March 2021, 03:42 AM   #273
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc535 View Post
That looks like a very usable response. I don't see a reason to care about that far off axis null circa 600 Hz. That must be slots on opposite sides of the doughnut combing.

The near axis response isn't completely flat but I would bet it will be hard to do better over such a wide range in the same size waveguide.
It's there in the graph of the ring without the waveguide but is less pronounced. Making the ring smaller could push it a little higher to be further from the intended passband. It is more coaxial in nature than using another waveguide or woofer directly below to cover those frequencies but is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorus View Post
Maybe somehow improving the transition of the horn to the back piece could be helpful..
It could be but the raw directivity of the waveguide is not improved with adding extra bulk behind it. I wanted to see if there was a way to keep that with adding something extra to mount the woofers.

The best compromise may well be something like the egg you showed and as you did covering over the ports to compare against the raw guide is relatively simple.

That may work as a single exterior subdomain as I still cannot get a freestanding guide with thin profile to simulate correctly without an interface.
Old 1st March 2021, 04:48 AM   #274
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you mean "thin" as wall thickness then you might try NUC=true. Close parallel surfaces are a problem if NUC=false.
Old 1st March 2021, 05:31 AM   #275
diyAudio Member

I might give it a try, thin wall thickness in this context is 8 to 10mm. Perhaps because that is close to the edge length of the elements it is having trouble. In circsym the mesh frequency is 30KHz, that might explain it.
Old 1st March 2021, 12:15 PM   #276
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

That should be enough wall thickness. Probably something else.
Old 5th March 2021, 07:37 PM   #277
diyAudio Member

Starting to resemble a CNC

2 way waveguide speaker build ABEC modelling-table-cnc-jpg

Table is level from corner to corner but you can see the dip in the middle due to a lack of reinforcement there. Should be good enough as I am not using the table as a cutting bed but it can be dealt with if need be.

2 way waveguide speaker build ABEC modelling-level-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Table CNC Small.jpg (367.3 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Level Small.jpg (272.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 5th March 2021, 09:32 PM   #278
camplo is online now camplo
diyAudio Member

Nice!
Old 5th March 2021, 09:40 PM   #279
sheeple is offline sheeple
diyAudio Member

I really see your crazy speaker happening! This can be something.
  Reply to this post

2 way waveguide speaker build ABEC modellingHide this!Advertise here!