Focal 826 Tweeter Removal

IMG_6963.jpg

IMG_6964.jpg

IMG_6965.jpg

IMG_6966.jpg

IMG_6967.jpg

IMG_6968.jpg

IMG_6969.jpg I have what might be the same tweeter. At least it looks the same and is off a Chorus V.
The metal surround that holds the tweeter is glued in. It is not necessary to remove that part to remove the tweeter. If you ever did want to remove it you use a heat gun to soften the glue and apply pressure from the back. You will feel it start to move when you get it hot enough.
The tweeter is held in with tabs that are molded as part of the metal portion. To remove the tweeter look for the recessed "slots" on the plastic surrounding the metal tweeter diaphragm. DO NOT TOUCH THE METAL diaphragm- it will be damaged. Engage these "slots" with two flat small screw drivers or something similar ( this is what is shown in post #23). Now ,carefully, rotate the whole tweeter COUNTER CLOCKWISE. You should feel it disengage.

It will be Monday soon enough... It sounds like you are getting very frustrated and it might be a good idea to wait until you make contact with the Focal factory reps. There is no doubt this is a bad design. Certainly for the $1200 price tag you have every right to expect better.

Did you buy these used? If so you now know why the previous owner was selling them and why you couldn't hear them first...

yes I bought them used. I was told by the owner that one speaker has tweeter not working and other speaker works fine. But I came home and checked them. Both speaker has blown tweeter :(

View attachment 811970

View attachment 811971

View attachment 811972

View attachment 811973

View attachment 811974

View attachment 811975

View attachment 811976 I have what might be the same tweeter. At least it looks the same and is off a Chorus V.
The metal surround that holds the tweeter is glued in. It is not necessary to remove that part to remove the tweeter. If you ever did want to remove it you use a heat gun to soften the glue and apply pressure from the back. You will feel it start to move when you get it hot enough.
The tweeter is held in with tabs that are molded as part of the metal portion. To remove the tweeter look for the recessed "slots" on the plastic surrounding the metal tweeter diaphragm. DO NOT TOUCH THE METAL diaphragm- it will be damaged. Engage these "slots" with two flat small screw drivers or something similar ( this is what is shown in post #23). Now ,carefully, rotate the whole tweeter COUNTER CLOCKWISE. You should feel it disengage.

Wow You are a speaker saver :) Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I finally did it!

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_095434795.jpg
    IMG_20200127_095434795.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20200127_095449093.jpg
    IMG_20200127_095449093.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20200127_095455025.jpg
    IMG_20200127_095455025.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
yes I bought them used. I was told by the owner that one speaker has tweeter not working and other speaker works fine. But I came home and checked them. Both speaker has blown tweeter :(

I kind of suspected that...

The GOOD NEWS is that you have the old ones out now.

Now the problem of getting new ones to put in. They look to be custom built for Focal so lets hope they still have stock...

I kind of suspected that...

The GOOD NEWS is that you have the old ones out now.

Now the problem of getting new ones to put in. They look to be custom built for Focal so lets hope they still have stock...

I removed the tweeter from the center channel 800CC and put into the 826 V . I tested them both speakers worked fine. So replacing the tweeter should solve this. Like you said, I am hoping focal still have them is stock. Finger crossed :)

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Focal make all their own drivers, so yeah.

I'm not so sure about that..
Just because "Made in France" is on a label or stamped into the housing, doesn't mean it's true.
Made in, Assembled in, Designed in,...... these days, all fall short of being fully truths.

The plastic baskets I've seen on Focal drivers is discreetly marked and identical to the plastic baskets of some chinese speakers.
For instance, Apple - used chinese "plastic basket" woofers in some of their "high fi" products. - with a label "Designed in the USA". :confused:

Give me metal, solid baskets, any day, keep the plastic crap or give it to children.

Let's hope Focal stocks these.

Friend of mine has Wharfedale towers and blow one of the tweeters in them. These focal tweeters looks like them. Tiny, toyish thing.

We written dozens of mails to wharfedale about replacement driver, didn't get any answer at all.

We had to replace diaphragm of the broken tweeters with chinese one.

I'm not saying they're using same kind of tweeters, but interestingly, new mid class speakers are using these kind of junk. I know golden age of hifi long gone. Market is not huge anymore. People are using their mobile to listening crappy compressed digital music files with crappy headphones.

But still.. People deserve better products at these price points..

I have opened various speakers in last 10 years (Mirage/Energy/Definitive/Phase Tech), This is the worst design so far. It was really easy to take them out. But it was really difficult to put them back as the metal diaphragm is so fragile.If they don't have in stock, I will have to use the tweeters from surround SR 800 V. That is also painful because, tweeter housing design is different from the front(826V) and center(800cc)

I removed the tweeter from the center channel 800CC and put into the 826 V . I tested them both speakers worked fine. So replacing the tweeter should solve this. Like you said, I am hoping focal still have them is stock. Finger crossed :)

Ahmm a rootin' fer ya...

But, if you recall my earlier posting about my own speakers, my best advice is to not hold your breath while waiting.

Mark Audio speakers use plastic baskets
Best to be clear on these matters!

The basket of the Markaudio Pluvia 11, for example, utilises a "GF30 glass fibre and resin mix" which is claimed to be more rigid than previous designs.

According to one supplier of the material, "GF30 combines high rigidity with superior dimensional stability to provide very high stiffness and improved toughness. This engineering plastic has the best static load over extended periods in high-temperature service."

GF30 is used in motorsport for applications such as strut mounts for the front and rear suspension.

https://www.smithshp.com/pdf/peek-gf30-ultimate.pdf