Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2021, 09:51 AM   #6271
camplo is online now camplo
diyAudio Member

The more I think about it...my end goal should be to take a selected horn and combine it with the mid cabinet....just like others have down with waveguides and such.
Old 19th January 2021, 11:10 AM   #6272
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
The more I think about it...my end goal should be to take a selected horn and combine it with the mid cabinet....just like others have down with waveguides and such.
an mid-high array of small drivers (on-wall - which gives additional ~6 dB of dynamic range) and a woofer that is boundary coupled (additional ~12 dB of dynamic range), crossed around 300 Hz, is a viable alternative IMHO
Old 19th January 2021, 05:58 PM   #6273
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
(15m left, Axi right) - This is what Vituix shows me... The polars aren't terribly dissimilar are they?
No, not "terribly dissimilar", they both describe incredibly "beamy" horns, reducing from around 90 degree at 1000Hz to less than around 5 degree at 5000Hz and above.

That bad of a horn would be hard to build even if you tried to
Old 19th January 2021, 06:21 PM   #6274
wesayso is online now wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I guess it would need laser pointers .
Old 19th January 2021, 07:18 PM   #6275
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes laser - when everything get dark (forever?) you're in the sweetspot

//
Old 19th January 2021, 07:30 PM   #6276
diyAudio Member

They both can't describe beamy horns because one is a 15" woofer lol....A rectangle source is the best I could do for the Vituix dispersion Tool.....surely the real polar isn't so beamy.... the dispersion around where the source width looses directivity is more important to look at here....the beaming of the upper register is exaggerated, surely, by the bad modelling representation.

Question....is it sloppy if I build a box that I would have to destroy to open again?

Quote:
Yes laser - when everything get dark (forever?) you're in the sweetspot
- LMAO!!!!
Old 19th January 2021, 07:34 PM   #6277
tmuikku is offline tmuikku  Finland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tmuikku
Don't be afraid of building sloppy prototype, just consider it as one and take most out of it. Then take what you've learned and build the final enclosure which you won't have to open again (if you learnt from the proto). Have fun!
Ps. a box can be destroyed multiple times, just patch it up in between.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:20 PM   #6278
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They both can't describe beamy horns because one is a 15" woofer lol....A rectangle source is the best I could do for the Vituix dispersion Tool.....surely the real polar isn't so beamy.... the dispersion around where the source width looses directivity is more important to look at here....the beaming of the upper register is exaggerated, surely, by the bad modelling representation.
The rectangle isn't going to help you at all, the 15" woofer will beam like a laser high enough in frequency. You can see that in the simulation I posted before.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:38 PM   #6279
454Casull is offline 454Casull  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes I have 100 of those screws and matching inserts.. . looks to be approximately 2.5" per screw...

Regarding the chamfer... You know what...I haven't finalized anything yet....I can afford a little more depth on the cabinet...let me see what I can do for the sake of doing it the right the first time....the irony is in how many times I just edited this post.....=)
If you are using MDF or particle board, I would highly recommend Confirmat-style screws. I really like them as they are quite strong and the same hole can be used at least a few times without falling apart. I got mine from Lee Valley.

Knock-Down Screws - Lee Valley Tools

The "Lo-Root" screws might work, too, but the photos don't exactly inspire confidence.
Old 20th January 2021, 12:43 AM   #6280
diyAudio Member

Anyone know how to read REW measurements taken at horn mouth with a 400hz 6db/oct butterworth xo?
Firstlineresponder.mdat - Google Drive

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!