Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Why not? Its just a matter of arrival (phase) and dispersion (Ka)
Because the drivers are not coincident and the larger the source the further the nearfield effects will be present.

You can fix one single point in space, but the correction will be significant which will mean it is extremely position dependent and even the distance between your ears will be a problem.

The sample rate is basically a carrier signal for the music signal itself, when looking at digital.....so the higher the frequency, the more points of data generated, the more accurately the system can replicate the impulse.

krivium - I'm sure you are right its just that I did not understand it so well until these recent discussions. Or maybe I understand it in a new light.

I was reading some discussion on the topic of audibility....some tend to think 96khz has a different sound vs 44.1khz and that they cannot hear an improvement to 192khz...something like that. Either way, with an better understanding of what it means in the first place, one might make different choices.

No, to represent a 20khz sine, you can do this within a 44.1 or 48khz bandwidth, using 96khz does not represent the 20khz sine any more accurately. Not ... one ... iota.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Phase correction should make it possible to listen to such a design, up close and personal.

It is time for you to start using the question mark (i.e. the "?"). The conversation will be much better if you indicate when you are sure about something and in fact are doing a statement or when you are guessing.

Your "questionstatement" posting style is cumbersome as I see it :)

//

attachment.php

Looks more accurate to me. Something else must be going on, on the digital side of this...?

According to what I just dug up "Therefore, we need to measure the wave at least two times per full cycle to accurately capture its frequency. ".... Capturing a generalized frequency and capturing an exact waveform are not he same thing. How does it know whats happening in between the samples?

Attachments

• analog to digi.jpeg
    analog to digi.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
yep, you are misunderstanding the way sampling and the sampling theorem itself works, but dont worry, it's a very popular misconception :). Let me search for a decent youtube or reference to do a better job of explaining than I have the time, or ability to do. The Nyquist sampling theorem will get you on your way, but there was a very good link posted some years ago that did a very good job of explaining the subject.

a sine is perfectly represented with just 2 points, one at the top and one at the bottom. we need JUST more than double the sample rate vs the max FR we want to sample in order to get a PERFECT result, remember we are talking about digital representation here. The discrete samples are interpolated between (over time), (sort of like a Spline in 2D and 3D modelling) rather than a straight line being drawn between them.

Yep, the way its drawn by some, with the lines in between (which are utterly meaningless and misleading) went a long way to causing this broad misunderstanding, even by people interested in audio. I would have expected it to have been cleared up a bit by now, almost a decade after that youtube vid was made though ...

the part where he describes how only a single frequency will pass through all of the points is important and relates to what I was trying to tell you. the points/samples of a 20khz wave, will only superimpose on a 20khz sinewave.

Last edited:
yes, OK, an infinitesimal amount higher than 2. or any amount higher than 2. so 2.00000000001 would be ok. my apologies for the oversimplification and I agree its an important distinction, I just didnt want to get into that before the basics were understood.

hmm, still not sure i'm describing that correctly. More easily, to represent 10000Hz you cant do it with 20000hz sampling, it would need to be 20001hz. Does that work?

Last edited:
using 96khz vs 48khz (for ease of example) does allow you to represent double the bandwidth before bandlimiting, but it doesn't plot the same frequency signals with double the accuracy. it doesn't need to, either; using more does not increase the accuracy, it's already perfect.

If we are talking about stereo recording of live music, then the sampling period of 48 kHz turns out to be longer than the ability of the human brain to detect the difference in the time of arrival of a sound wave between the right and left ears. Our hearing aids have surprisingly high spatial resolution in horizontal plane.

Not sure what that has to do with the current topic? or the quoted text?

Ah, it seems you are just providing a reason not to go to 96khz audio? wasnt really the topic at hand and I would probably agree with 48khz, but maybe not 44.1. 96 has become standard enough across the board that I would just leave it there and not argue we need to go back to 48 :)

Last edited:
no, a sine wave is not perfectly represented by two points.

One would end up something like a triangle wave, although it kind of depends at what moment in time the signal is being sampled.
In theory one could sample exactly in the nulls for example.
Although from a sampling point of view, music is pretty random in nature.

Nyquist only tells us the absolute bare minimum to work.
But basically only when the signals are in perfect sync
(something they don't always tell at school)

That being said, the audio information around 20kHz is extremely low.
Also the natural low pass roll of of the human ears will make everything above 8-10kHz basically a sine wave, since higher harmonics are being attenuated drastically.
Frequencies that high are very directional, moving your head, listening or loudspeaker position a few centimeters will already affect it significantly.

So in the end there are so many more issues at play at these higher frequencies that a lot of other issues are heavily masked.
In the end, like a lot of other psycho-acoustic effects and artifacts, are extremely hard or sometimes even totally impossible to "un-hear" for the very well trained listeners.
Embrace the evolution of your brain for that. ;)