Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Bookshelf Suggestions
Bookshelf Suggestions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2017, 11:07 PM   #11
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
I'm thinking 6.5"-7" diameter to keep the enclosure size reasonable and still give me some bass.
I have a pair of unused Vifa D25AG-35-6ohm tweeters left over from an old project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
Local Dealers - Wagner have SB, Peerless, Vifa, Scanspeak. Best Value in Oz is probably this SBNRXC35-8 driver, $15 cheaper than the Peerless. [/url]
Should be a good marriage.
A ported cabinet of about 0.75cuft with dimensions around H17" W10" D12.5" will deliver -F3 ~42Hz. Position the port about 1" off-center for reduced baffle edge diffraction. The 3rd order Butterworth crossovers used offer even power output and enough phase shift to mask the physical offset of the tweet and mid on a flat baffle.

ALTERNATIVE: Stepped baffles which physically time align the tweeter have become popular, with the compromise of increase edge diffraction from the extra baffle board. Google and study. LR2 crossover circuits are used to phase align a stepped baffle design. Easy to design a LR2/LR2 crossover if you decide to build a stepped baffle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SB17 DG25.JPG (153.4 KB, 339 views)
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:13 AM   #12
Roo2 is offline Roo2  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that LineSource. I'm very keen to try the BW3 crossover.
I like the idea of that SB driver but it needs a bigger enclosure than I really have room for.. I realise they'll give good bass but my better half will not like the shelf getting crowded by them.. The Peerless 830875 may be good compromise. The FaitalPRO 5FE120 is also an interesting option to go smaller again. Do you think the 5" FaitalPRO will have significantly less bass than the 6.5" Peerless?
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:02 AM   #13
keilau is offline keilau  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
This is probably the best buy at the moment.
Peerless PPB 830874 - 6.5" Poly Cone Woofer

edit: I have built one. Post #2568.
System Pictures & Description
The driver from Madisound is a wonderful deal if the shipping to UK does not kill the deal.

Lojzek, your speaker built looks beautiful. Did you publish your LR4 acoustic crossover schematic?
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:44 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
I like the idea of that SB driver but it needs a bigger enclosure than I really have room for..
The SB17NRXC35-8 produces under 50Hz bass even in a 0.5cuft cabinet, which is easy to achieve with a bottom slot port or rear port.

SB17NRXC35 has a 6.7" diameter frame, and the SB15NRXC30 has a 5.9" diameter frame.
Small difference in diameter. Small cabinet size difference when both crossover and port are included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Botom Slot Port.jpg (131.1 KB, 281 views)
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks Linesource. Looks like a good path.
I like the slot port concept to allow them to be placed closer to the wall.
Where can I find more info on calculating slot port dimensions?
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:36 PM   #16
Ugg10 is offline Ugg10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

here are a couple of slot calculators -

L slot - Enclosure Calculators Archives - DB DYNAMIX AUDIO
Simple slot - Port Length Calculator
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:22 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Will the 0.6 cuft cabinet in this article meet your size and style goals?
-Loudspeakermagazine 2012 > April 2012 > SB 18

SB 18 - April 2012 - Loudspeakermagazine 2012 | Loudspeakerbuilding

=========
If you decide to reduce the internal volume to 0.5cuft, keep the internal width = 19mm = 7.5" and modestly reduce the depth and height.
SLOT PORT for 0.5cuft internal volume. Width = 7.5" Height=0.5" Depth =9.7" (which include the thickness of the front baffle)

You can get reduced baffle diffraction if you mount the tweeter 1" off-center. This spreads the pressure wave energy over a wider variation of baffle lengths.

Mount the crossover behind the tweeter so it will not restrict woofer air flow.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks all.
Yes, that article with 0.6cuft enclosure looks very good. Just need to find decent 21mm plywood here in Aus..
Old 5th January 2018, 10:47 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hello again. The SB17 drivers are ordered! I’m looking for the BB3 crossover bits now. Can anyone recommend some capacitor make/models that are good and reasonable value?
Old 6th January 2018, 03:10 PM   #20
Xerxes75 is offline Xerxes75  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I wanted to build a two way with the SB Acoustic Satori but that did not fit the budget. So a few weeks ago I decided to build the SB18 which is more budget friendly.
I don't have the time yet, I am curious about the results!

R.

Bookshelf SuggestionsHide this!Advertise here!